All parent member reviews for The Proud Family

Adult Written bymsbubbles4ya April 9, 2008

Laughed so hard 'til I cried!

Hey Proud Family,You are doing a beautiful thing with your show. I wouldn't change a thing about it. If I might add, it would be just lovely if you had a toy line out, coming soon. For my grandchildren would love to add little Penny and friends to their collection. And I'm proud to say, we as people (African Americans) just love when we're seen in full affect as we are....
Parent Written bymnv August 11, 2011

Sexualization

They characters are only 13/14 at the beginning of the series and they are too sexualized. There are alot of examples of bullying and even some racism and favoritism with penny's parents(favoring their twins over their oldest daughter in an episode where the twins are made older)
Adult Written byThe JP Show May 25, 2009
Adult Written bylhwilkinson April 9, 2008

Fine, but keep a weather eye out...

THE PROUD FAMILY-- an anmated riff on FATHER KNOWS BEST, only with an African-American family at the center-- is good fun. But more than one episode I've caught with my daughter has been ruthlessly commercial... not in the usual overt sense (no product placements that I've seen, e.g.), but more subtlely. E.g., one episode's plot revolved around file-sharing, and Penny Proud's relationship with a character named Morpheous. Penny falls into his thrall and began to partake of file-sharing, though her parents reprove her ("file-sharing is stealing"). But then, in true sit com form, Penny sees the error of her ways, banishes Morpheous from her life, and apologzes to her parents in a soliloquy on the evils of downloading that might well have been written-- and may well have been written-- by the Corporate Affairs Dept. at Disney. This episode took 28 minutes and 50 seconds to watch with my daughter-- and 90 minutes afterwards to discuss. I appreciate Disney's stake in intellectual property rights, and honor it. But I do not appreciate so blatant an overstatement of that case (users DO have rights), especially not masquerading as the moral of a sit com.
Adult Written bydshumate April 9, 2008

We Love this program - watch it together every week

Adult Written byPanya April 9, 2008

...

I've seen a couple of episodes, and it was just okay. I like that the roles are almost all minority characters, but there were some racial jokes about Caucasians -- I don't like racial jokes about anyone, so I'd say watch it *with* the kids.
Adult Written byyogamom April 9, 2008

I laughed until I cried!

Gives a positive potrayal of African- Americans and shows a humorous side to it. It is a "must watched" tv show for the entire family to enjoy!
Adult Written byPoptartpm April 9, 2008

Adult Written byLagoobs April 9, 2008

Parent Written bymom2lb April 9, 2008

Adult Written byact5221 April 9, 2008

Disrespectful children run amuck

First, Dad is clueless and obnoxious. How could he ever have landed Mom? Second, kids are blatently disrespectful. Third, the stereotypes!!! Fourth, G-ma...let's not even go there.
Adult Written byyesman April 9, 2008

I love the show, because it teaches lessons in life and I recommed that every single kid of all races should watch this show.
Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

The Proud Family

Sexual Content (Pause): A moderate amount of flirting, and a surprising amount of innuendo for a tween-targeted show. Violence (Not an Issue): Some slapstick. Language (Not an Issue): None. Social Behavior (On): Lots of snooty attitudes and rudeness, but it's made clear that this is not acceptable behavior. The episodes usually have some kind of moral lesson. Commercialism (Not an Issue): None. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Pause): Trudy and Oscar drink wine in an episode.