Kid reviews for The Walking Dead

Grim zombie drama is artful -- but awfully bloody.

Kid, 12 years old August 16, 2014

Depends when you think you or your child is mature enough.

I have watched every single episode of every season. It is a great show which is successful at conveying emotion. I am 12 but to be honest it's not scary, it doesn't give you nightmares, it doesn't have drugs (Breaking Bad) it doesn't have too much sexual contact (Pretty Little Liars). But you need to know if you can handle the violence and swearing. And you/they are mature enough. On the other hand (mainly) Hershel (a character) mentions God a lot and owned a bible. They visited a church in a forest and many of them prayed to God. There is quite a bit of swearing. Nothing much more than what you hear in school anyway. The Walking Dead is probably more for teens who accept that the likelihood of a zombie apocalypse is very unlikely.

Teen, 14 years old Written bycake is good September 17, 2013

A Kid That Knows What He's Talking About

First of all, I've never really agreed with Common Sense. They seem to be uptight about everything. By age 15, a teen should be able to watch what they want. Think about it, 15 and 18 are not that far away. Depends on the child, though.

I am rating this thirteen and up because it is not that bad. The sexual content is not even close to an issue for someone that age. If they don't know what sex is, that is a problem. Try asking your kid questions about what they know about sex. Slowly expose them to things so the can learn about it in a nice, healthy, manner.

As for language, no big deal. My Parents never care about the language in a movies, tv shows, books, etc. Their reasoning: every kid will swear from around age 9 until the day they die. Swearing is a way of expressing emotions, and a child should have examples of people who swear responsibly, and at the appropriate time. Granted, for a thirteen year old, hearing the word s*** is not a big deal.

As for violence, depends on the kid. If there is a game that has violence, or a movie/tv show that is violent, I ask my parents this question. "Do you think this violence will effect me mentally?" They think about this and answer, "No". Then, I ask, " Do you think that watching this will effect my grades?" Usually, the answer is no. Depends on the child in this case. I personally get grades between B+ and A+. My parents know that a tv show won't effect me. Then, I ask them the real question. "What negative effect will occur if I am exposed to this violence?" I let them think about this. Parents, if you can't come up with an answer, your kid is fine. This means that there is nothing to worry about. If you can, discuss it with your kid. If he/she is really interested in this show, let them watch a couple of episodes with you. Watch how it effects them. Do they become more aggressive? Do their grades drop? If so, this is a clear sign that they are not ready to be exposed to bloody violence. If not, they are absolutely fine.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMrwaffle6389 May 22, 2016

AMAZING SHOW

I think this show is fantastic and not that bad. But if you don't like violence you should not watch this show. There is constant brutal killings of zombies and humans. Language isn't bad just rare uses of mild language.

Teen, 17 years old Written bybowling360 November 11, 2011

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VIOLENCE YES. BUT ACTUALLY THIS SHOW IS KINDA CHRISTIAN. THEY PREY ALOT AND TALK ABOUT GOD. NOTHING WRONG WITH MOVIE!

Teen, 15 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn December 13, 2010
A show about zombies. Dreams do come true. I love that they make the show almost a much about the people as about the zombies. And they obviously have GREAT make-up people! HA. I recommend this to anyone who has ever seen a zombie movie or has even thought about a zombie apocolypse.
Teen, 15 years old Written byellie04 January 8, 2020

my all time favorite show!!

ok, let me start off by say, this show is literally the best tv series ive ever watched. its the type of show that hooks you with the first episode and keeps you on the edge of your seat through the entire series. i started watching this show when i was 11 and it was never too much for me. it has such an amazing plot and does such a good job of keeping you wanting more. you can get so connected with the characters its so fun. not gonna lie, i cried when my favorite character died lmao. parents and kids should keep in mind that this show does have a lot of gore, violence and swearing. there is a bit of drug and alcohol use, and its mostly innuendos, but there are a few sex scenes, but never showing anything graphic. i think this is an awesome show that any zombie movie/show fan should love!

Teen, 13 years old Written byHarv___1 March 5, 2017

NOT FOR CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The walking dead is amazing but extremely violent and gory. There is constant threat and its very dark and harrowing and horror. NOT FOR CHILDREN. Season 1 isn't to bad. The seasons get more violent as they move on. Honestly DO NOT LET A CHILD WATCH THIS TRUST ME!

Teen, 13 years old Written byxBlueClaw_ February 9, 2016

Fantastic but mature show.

VIOLENCE: Tons. People are stabbed, shot, torn apart by zombies and more. A certain character uses a katana to kill people and zombies. However, most of this violence is justified. SEX: Characters are seen in bed together; one scene shows a couple in a sexual position, but no nudity is shown. A female character grabs a man's crotch. DRINKING/SMOKING: Some characters drink, and a man has a bag which seems to be filled with meth and other drugs. LANGUAGE: Occasional Sh-t, Bitch, Damn, Ass, and so on. POSITIVE MESSAGES: The group treats eachother like family - and they all work hard to keep themselves and others safe. Rick is sokewhat un-merciful. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Over all, this is a very good show. I recommend it to all who can stomach the gore.

Kid, 12 years old August 14, 2020

Good for mature children

It's a great show I believe it is suitable for mature children cause I'm 12 and I'm near finishing season 10.It does have a lot of violence but for mature people it's nothing.
It does have a sex scene but it's only less than a minute long and NOT explicit at all.
Overall it's great for mature audiences but don't show it to kids who are not mature.

Teen, 14 years old Written byUsesomecommonsense December 27, 2016

Walking Dead Review ~ 14 year old

To concerning families-
The Walking Dead, cleverly produced by Frank Gale (and a number of other talented people), portrays a post-apocalyptic scene complete with stomach-churning gore, amazing graphics, and a stressed plot line. Main components of concern can be traced back to a few categories: violence, swearing, alcohol consumption, and sex (frequency in this order). If you cannot handle violence, this is definitely not the show for you. The question the potential viewer must ask himself should be, "Will this violence affect my grades or mental health?". More than most people may answer with a no. Fortunately, most violence is done to the zombies. However, some is done human x human, mainly due to self defense and protection of resources. Some scenes may be unbearably nasty, adding to the suspensful and exciting effect most viewers experience. Profanity (swearing) appears in great amounts in each episode. Cussing is seen as a way of expressing fustration, and almost every swear word can be heard in this show. Parents need to know they can't always hold back their kids from profanity, as it is said quite often in real life as well. It is the parent's choice to when they want to expose their children. However, I believe an appropriate age is 10-12, when they start to grow up and transition into middle school. At this age kids will have to be accustomed with older kids. Alcohol is seen being consumed mostly when the character is in a state of depression or distress. This, as being similar to profanity, cannot be held back from children for too long, as it is a socially acceptable item in society (if responsible). Drugs are also seen being used in a few episodes (mainly smoking cigarettes/cigars). Lastly, sexual activity. If you aren't fimiliar with sex, beware of this show, though it is an infrequent component in this show. Confusion may be caused for unknowing kids, and may spark immaturity. No nudity or graphic content is showed, however grunting and thrusting can be seen, as well as attempts of raping and groping. After given "The Talk", these scenes are not seen as an issue. Fortunately for younger viewers, sex does not appear often and does not in any way tie into the theme and plot of this show (sexual scenes can be skipped). 13 year olds may watch this show with parents having little to worries. Keep in mind, if your child has not ever been exposed to any of the topics (VIOLENCE, PROFANITY, alcohol or drug consumption, sex), The Walking Dead may not be a good choice for their first experience. Surprisingly, this show does portray many strong, independent females, as well as positive characters who are awarded for caring and leading their group. Characters are Christian and can be seen praying often and referring to the Bible. This review was written with knowledge of all episodes and seasons, as well as consideration of multiple other reviews (kid and adult).

Teen, 14 years old Written bybattlefield_slaya July 26, 2015

My favorite show

I'm only on season two right now but it has a really compelling storyline that just pulls you right in. It does have violence but I mean it's not like your son/daughter hasn't seen their friends play Call of Duty/Battlefield/Borderlands etc. which all three have a higher amount of violence at HUMAN players than in the show. Most of the deaths are zombie and are pretty obviously CGI. The sex scenes: There's only one REAL one and you don't even really see what's going on, but it's very important to the story (the guy is just in a position.) The other scene which apparently was the thing that made some parents not let their kids watch it was when Andrea grabbed Shane's crotch. Like, really people? You weren't turned away when Shane went down on Lorie, a month or two after she THOUGHT Rick was dead in the FIRST SEASON? Wow...
There are some curse words, but does it really even matter? Their friends are cursing nonstop in school (maybe even including them.) I said s*** in front of my grandma by accident yesterday and she just shrugged it off and moved on. The same should go with any movie/tv show. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in Australia for god's sake... but anyway. It's nothing that even a 12 year old can't handle. Common Sense hypes to much up. Edit: Season 3 gets a bit more graphic with violence because the CGI is better, there's also a couple more sex scenes (only Andrea's bare back, and for some reason Glenn and Maggie decide to bang each other all of a sudden bit you only see their shadows for a second, nothing graphic.) Just started Season 4! SPOILERS: God, I can't believe how screwed up the mayor was, he just freaking massacred his squad after trying to kill every one in the prison O_O...
Teen, 16 years old Written byrolltideroll13 October 21, 2011

Huge fan of The Walking Dead

Great TV show. I love it. It's not just a show about killing zombies. The characters are well developed and most of them are good role models. I started watching it because it was filmed in my city (Atlanta) and I really loved the plot. I usually HATE zombie, vampire, far-fetched sci-fi shows, but this one is great. HIGHLY RECOMMEND! The only thing that isn't appropriate for kids is VERY STRONG violence (Hitting zombies with axes, decomposing bodies, gruesome scenes of death) and some strong language. Theres only one sexual scene at the beginning of one of the episodes but you can't see anything, its just implied. Anyone 15 and up will be fine. I LOVE THIS SHOW!

Kid, 12 years old November 19, 2014
I'm 12 (nearly 13) and tend to watch this by myself as it's not something my parents enjoy or find completely suitable mainly because of the violence, But I don't really see a big deal. it's not particularly scary and the language isn't that bad

Kid, 11 years old May 11, 2013

Watch out!

This is a very good show, just a lot of stuff you need to watch out for, I'm about 11 and I watch it (on Netflix mainly, so I can (and do!) skip the sexual stuff.) It's mainly up to the parent, but if I was a parent, I would watch it with them (if they wanted to watch) until the were at least 11-13 or could handle it.

Teen, 13 years old Written bylikeaboss12436 October 22, 2012

beast

it is the best show ever and nothing is bad or innopropriate about it my little bro has wathced it since he was was six and i an 12 and watch it and our parents watch it and my dad says its kind of "kiddie"

Kid, 12 years old December 3, 2010

Depressing, but absoultely amazing,

This TV show is highly addictive (at least for me), and is done well by a very talented director, Frank Darabont, director of The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption (both of which are my favourite movies). However, this show gives off very depressing feelings whilst you grow care for the characters, and it is hard to see some of them die. Fantastic show!

Teen, 13 years old Written byrlmeadows2006 January 6, 2020

Legit the best show ever

I think that the age rating is mainly based on how well your child deals with violence and gore. There’s a lot of blood shown, it’s VERY gory (because it’s about zombies) and there’s a lot of violence. (Killing zombies with weapons, etc) Theres also a bit of sex but no nudity for the most part. If you think your kid is mature, let them watch it. If not, wait a year or two.

Teen, 14 years old Written byDoggy doggy March 6, 2013

The walking dead

It is just a show about how to stay alive and it has some swearing and sex but it doesn't show it. And it's not even about the walkers sometime it's about the rough times in life.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymesh97 March 26, 2012

what parents should know

this is a great show , i think it's just too violence & it's creat nightmare .
ohh and the sexual ! thats a problem for my sister & brother (twins) age of 14-15

Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 March 14, 2012

Intense and really bloody.

Yeah I am a huge fan of Walking Dead I have seen just about every episode of it on AMC season 2 coming to American tv soon can't wait anyone else saw the episode last night?Really intense and darn bloody lol.