All parent member reviews for The Wire

Parent of a 10 year old Written byyuigy March 1, 2013

A masterpiece but definitely not for children.

I think this is possibly the best show ever created for TV or film. It is incredibly real depiction of the industrial decay that effects many manufacturing cities and serves as an excellent metaphor for the class inequities in our country. However, I would not recommend it for children under 16. If your 16 year old or teen has a high level of sophistication then it would provide a great learning opportunity and discussion material about drugs, crime, and poverty. My son is 10 and I am looking forward to having such a discussion when he is older.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bykcgunesq December 16, 2011

6 out of 5 Stars - but not for children

I won't offer a long review, as there are many elsewhere praising the outstanding series. The Wire is quite possibly the best television series (albeit pay television) ever made. That said, it is definitely not for all but the oldest, suitably mature children. The primary problem for children between roughly 12 and 16 is the occasional graphic (R-rated) sex. The second major issue for young teens, is that this series presents really complex social problems while recognizing/implying that no good solutions exist.
Adult Written byBalloutkid November 14, 2011

Amazing

Growing up and going to High school in Baltimore City when this show premiered it was inescapable. I did not immediately realize it at the time but this show taught me more than any college sociology class could ever dream. I have never witnessed a more realistic portrayal of the marginalized sub-cultures existent in modern urban America. The Wire provides an unwavering illustration of the fractured social, political and economic America paradigm. Forcing us all to challenge our moral perception of conventional teachings, by introducing us to ourselves. This amazing piece of cinematic beauty presents the truth behind our condition, that we are all corrupted, and though austere as the message may seem, the Wire gratifies through the liberation of cultural inhibition. Crime, tragedy, death, pain, sorrow; are as real and unavoidable as happiness, or ecstasy. And it is these elements of life that are reflective in everything we do, create, or provide. The Wire could not have captured this axiom more perfectly. A must watch for all.