Parent reviews for The Wonder Pets!

Kid-friendly mini-operas about teamwork and more.

Adult Written byMitchwil December 3, 2019

Lovingly made, but repetitive

As a parent, I adore this show. I found out about it after reading that the creator is also the guy behind Oobi. My kids love Oobi so I decided to show her some Wonder Pets. They liked it at first, but got a bit disinterested when they realized it's the same plot and same songs in every episode. They don't appreciate the music, which changes between genres in most stories, the same way I do. The message of teamwork is a good one, even if it is hammered home a little too hard.

Adult Written byBrett.matheny November 30, 2019
Adult Written byIris C. July 10, 2019

Cute!

A cute show. Don’t listen to the haters who think it’s not worthwhile because of Ming-Ming’s speech pattern. Kids love the characters and won’t be damaged by a quirky character trait.

Adult Written byskingsland February 20, 2019

My son has been watching and loving it since he was 2; great values and catchy music

What I love about this show is that there's nothing really bad to worry about. No real scary parts (that I've seen), no bad guys, no violence, name calling, or bad messages for kids. And it hammers home the importance of teamwork (with a very catchy song), problem solving, and helping others, while teaching about different animals and where they live. One other thing I like is that two characters (Tuck and Ming Ming) have conflicting personalities that occasionally causes competition / jealousy problems and needs to be addressed, which feels very much like siblings would deal with.

Yes, Ming Ming has a lisp so her pronunciation isn't perfect, and some of the episodes might not make complete sense to a smart 3 year old (like the underwater one). But compare this to something more vacuous like Paw Patrol, and I think it's waaaay better than that. Would I rather he watch Daniel Tiger? Sure, since I think it teaches a greater variety of lessons and the songs are better, but Wonder Pets is still one of the best TV shows for 2-3 year olds out there IMO.

And lastly, some of the writing is super clever. There are plenty of jokes and pop culture references that go way over my 3 yo's head (like entire episodes about the beatles, or elvis, or film noir) that make it fun to watch for adults, without diminishing the safety or educational value for young kids.

Adult Written byHolly R. December 12, 2017

What's gonna work? TEAM WORK!!!

I should hate this show but I don't. It's so cute. My younger cousin loved this as a toddler. So cute.

Parent of a 3-year-old Written byMaura K. January 12, 2017

A complete mess, with cute voices & awful, catchy music

I wish my 3 year old had never seen this show. The one positive takeaway I have from it is the catchphrase, "What's gonna work? Teeeaaaamwork!" but aside from that I can't recommend it at all. Most likely, your preschooler will love it at first. It's so CUTE. But absolutely nothing makes sense, scientifically or logically, and that is incredibly upsetting to a 3 year old who is trying to make sense of the world. My 3 year old burst out hysterically crying while watching the episode where the Wonder Pets were trying to help an underwater animal and got caught in a whale's mouth. Aside from the fact that it was legit scary, the whole scenario made no sense to him. How could they be underwater so long and not drowning? He understands we can't breathe underwater, and he knows they are not fish. Just about every episode is based on this completely illogical premise about an animal needing rescue, and it's usually a scenario that actually wouldn't require help at all, much less animals flying halfway around the world to help. I totally understand suspension of disbelief and of course I just told my son, "It's all just pretend", but the suspension of logic or sense or basic scientific plausibility just made all of the scenarios really disturbing. The cherry on top of the mess is the awful, awful lyrics to the music which, I'm warning you now, will get into your brain and never leave. Just don't do it.
Parent of a 1-year-old Written byAmanda W. December 31, 2016

My 3.5 yo niece mimicked the ducks speech impediment...

Like others have said, it would be a pretty good show if the duck didn't have a speech impediment. Ming Ming doesn't have a lisp, but she mispronounces R's. My 3.5 yo niece, who speaks very clearly, began mimicking the Ming Ming after watching it. It literally caused her to regress. Having a speech impediment isn't a bad thing, but it is not something you want your child to struggle with, if at all possible. This show encouraged my niece to speak like Ming Ming. I don't recommend it for the audience it is intended for, since that age group is developing their speech still.

Parent Written bywatchdog_mama February 11, 2014

Our very favorite show for little ones

This show is absolutely wonderful. It was the first show we felt good about sharing with our 2.5-year-old a couple of years ago. He'd still love watching it, except now we've seen all the episodes! I can't say enough good things about it. The teamwork elements are excellent. The animals are in just the right amount of "peril" (ranging from a dolphin stuck in a net to a puppy who needs to figure out how to use the doggie door). The music is fantastic -- each episode's music is played by a studio orchestra. The dialogue and song lyrics are adorable, witty, and enjoyed by all of us. The structure of the episodes is excellent -- there's a clear pattern to each story, and sometimes deliberate breaks from that pattern, and we think that's a great lesson. Another thing we really love are all the pop culture references and information about various settings. It was so cool when our son heard a recording of Frank Sinatra and shouted, "It's the Rat Pack!" (See: "The Wonder Pets Save the Rat Pack," an adorable band of rats who need help working together.) He saw the fake Eiffel Tower at Disney World and shouted, "It's the Eiffel Tower!" (See: "The Wonder Pets Save the French Poodle.") He knows about volcanoes, New York City, magicians, nursing homes, and circuses, all from the Wonder Pets -- and he hasn't watched in a long time, so this stuff "stuck" really well. And finally, of course, it's extremely gentle, completely nonviolent, reinforces parent/kid relationships while still showing animals being independent, and full of great role models. The wise words of Linny the guinea pig helped us many times while our son was adjusting to his new baby sibling. :o)

Our son is now four and watching other stuff (in large part because he's seen all the "Wonder Pets" episodes), but I'd say "Wonder Pets" is still the highest-quality program for little kids that we've seen.

Parent Written byMatt S. May 6, 2012

Music, messages, and confident humor

We love this show. First off, there are solid messages: helpfulness and teamwork. Second, there's great musicality: each show is a mini opera. Last, there's a playful humor between the main characters: the poke fun at each other, but it's always taken well and confidently, and it's never mean spirited.

Adult Written byMommy2two August 22, 2011

Get rid of that lisp and it would be great!

I do not think it is entirely educational as it promotes speech problems in children. That ducks lisp is beyond annoying, and if they wanted to promote education they would have the duck in speech classes. Other than the duck, it is a pretty cute show for young children. The singing is too much, but kids love it. After a while you will notice yourself folding clothes and mumbling "Lenny, Tuck and Ming Ming too...we're wonder pets and we'll help you. What's gonna work? Team Work!"

Parent of a 2, 9, 10, and 12-year-old Written bymommakara April 6, 2011

Great if the duck didn't have a speech impediment.

I think Wonder Pets would have and could have been a GREAT cartoon for kids and the first time I saw it that is exactly what I thought. BUT, they have the duck that talks with a speech impediment! Not that kids who have one are bad but when your kids that are trying to talk are listing to a duck say twouble etc through the whole thing it gets a little old!!! I refuse to let my children watch this!
Parent of a 2, 4, 10, and 11-year-old Written bybpm01 December 11, 2010
I love this cartoon. It is so cute an sweet! The kids learn about different animals, teamwork and being a kind person. It is also well done so it doesn't annoy the parents!

Parent of a 2-year-old Written bySheenaLongland November 15, 2010

Alright.

I picked educational because it does say a lot about animals...but I can't stand that the bird ming ming doesn't say serious right. Its really annoying. My son will watch it occationally.

Parent of a 3-year-old Written byeyoungmom September 5, 2010

OK

My daughter LOVES watching the animals and learning about different places. However the voices drive me nuts!

Parent of a 2, 6, 7, and 9-year-old Written byBusyBeeMom May 20, 2010

Excellent for the little ones!

My two year old loves this show and never wants to miss it! He has already asked to have a "Wonder Pets" birthday party when he turns three.

Parent of a 2-year-old Written byTaylor Buoy01 December 27, 2009
My son loves this show more then anything this and backyardagins are his vav anyways its great for children to find excitment in there books or backyards what ever they watch

Parent of a 2-year-old Written byChloesmommy December 18, 2009

Cute, Fun, and can even be enjoyed by the Parents!

Well first things first. The "DUCK" does not have a LISP. She is a BABY, she still talks that way. And I absolutely love, "this is sewious" But, with that out of the way, this is a great show for kids, and can also be enjoyed by parents. My daughter loves it and I get a kick out of it too. There are some subtle things in it that the parents get like, for example, when the wonder pets save "The Rat Pack" which is actually three rats that represent Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy. There is also the wonder pets save "the beatles" who are actually beetles stuck in a yellow submarine. But besides that even, it's a great educational show about working together and using logic to solve problems. It also has really great classical music and really cute theme song! My daughter doesn't know many words yet, but everytime it comes on she'll sing "Ming Ming too!" right along with the song. GREAT show!

Parent of a 4-year-old Written byrosedolphin101 December 13, 2009
VERY CUTE!!! Teaches kids manners!

Parent of a 3-year-old Written bysahminva March 17, 2009

Excellent

Excellent, positive, educational, entertaining, fun, and a delight to watch. I actually find myself gravitating toward the living room singing along when it comes on, haha. My 3 year old is an animal lover, so this is right up her alley.
Adult Written byashadoodle April 9, 2008