Parent reviews for Thomas & Friends

Thomas and his train friends huff and chuff around.

Parent of a 2 and 4-year-old Written byreedsmom March 20, 2009

What's up with the RUDE Thomas Shows?

My son has been watching Thomas since he was 2, he has an obsession with Thomas the Tank toys, shows, movies, anything to do with it. At a certain point I had to take away all the video watching as it came to my attention that the engines are all very RUDE to each other most of the time. Occasionally there is a decent message, but the focus is mostly on the rude behavior and my son started imitating it!!!! Recently I brought the shows back out, this time trying to fast forward through the unacceptable episodes, but I had to cut it off when an episode from the Halloween DVD featuring the "trouble trucks" (my son's favorite!) the first word of the show is "Shut Up!" and the engine named Duck bashes into a bunch of trouble trucks! I was shocked and turned it off immediately! What a horrible thing for a children's show! They blame each other for things, I'm so disappointed. Why is there not more talk about this? What's more is that while he was playing with his trains yesterday he acted out the scene and I heard him say "shut up!". Now I have to explain to him that that is not a nice thing to say and he is confused as to why..."but Duck said that" he looks at my confused. [email protected]#!
Parent of a 1, 9, 10, 14, and 14-year-old Written bycharmsmatuts August 15, 2011

Thomas The Tank Engine

This show is still good for my 1 year old, I wish I could rate it ON for kids 1 & up. In one episode this is a little superising but in Diesel said "Shut up" to Thomas. It's not a bad word, not really language my kids can't use. But It's just kind of rude to say to somebody. Anyway I used to love trains when I was a kid so I am glad they made a show with trains that talk and go on amazing adventures, All characters are good role models even though they are sometimes grumpy, cranky and mean like Cranky the Crane. It's not just the trains that talk. All kinds of machines like cranes, trains, cars, buses, planes, boats and helicopters talk because they have faces on any part of the object that has a lot of space. Some trains get into exploasions, accidents or crashes which is the only thing to watch out for. Anyway. It has a really good messgage and it's educational. Love It!

Educational Value
Parent Written byDigiGoggleHeadBoy September 10, 2018
For kids 2-10. I love that it teaches great social and emotional skills, that kids would be facing. The characters are relatable and interesting. The only problem I have with this show is that there are hardly any girl characters.

Their website: https://web.archive.org/web/20171228001131/http://pbskids.org/thomasandf...

Adult Written byDebra D. January 30, 2017
One of my most favorite TV shows. I absolutely love Thomas and Friend. The show teaches great valuable lessons in episode. I have been watching Thomas for a very long time. I personally feel Thomas and Friend is a great show for kids and adults.
Adult Written byJohnD 4 May 13, 2015

In praise of Thomas

I don't agree with the 'liberal parents' view at all. You could just as well say that the stories celebrate the useful results of working class solidarity and communality, quite often triumphing over oppression and misfortune.

The stories are stimulating and positive, and their basic morality is not to be sneered at unless there is something seriously wrong with you.

Parent of a 2-year-old Written byShawnaLanne January 24, 2009

Behavioral Modeling - Yeah it models all the bad things

I began watching this with my son just before he turned 2 and quickly turned it off. Yes, there is behavioral modeling, and trains who are acting 'badly' always get it in the end and learn a lesson, but along with the lesson they learn, I believe it's also teaches bad behavior with examples of jealousy and envy and plain old mean spiritidness. I know this has a big following, and it is age appropriate, but I don't want my son modeling his behavior on these trains.
Adult Written byRarityfan July 7, 2019

It's Thomas the Tank Engine what can I say?

You must live under a rock if you don't know this engine. The engine is forceful in toys, old console games, a ride in a Danish museum in Odense and more.

Adult Written bynachiux January 25, 2019

este espectaculo no esta mal pero tiene muchisimos defectos

este show en si estaba bien pero viendo mas de 15 episodios me di cuenta de como son los personajes que se quejan bastante y solo quieren lo suyo ademas de que solamente lo que hacen es puro trabajar sin descanso pero esta algo sobrevalorado el show como dije solo es de trabajar y nadie puede hacer algo divertido

Adult Written byThomasmagic1992 June 25, 2018

Magic

I’ve watched Thomas since I was a little girl and I saw their growth from live action to animation and it still has the positive virtues for new generations to enjoy. If I have children someday I’ll watch this with them.

Parent of a 18+-year-old Written byOlivia M. May 25, 2018

Thomas tried hard, but failed to protect Mother Nature

This show promotes Environmental ABUSE!!!!!! The burning of coal causes many environmental dangers!!

Burning coal has many dangers, which are including but not LIMITED TO:

Acid mine drainage (AMD) refers to the outflow of acidic water from coal mines or metal mines, often abandoned mines where ore- or coal mining activities have exposed rocks containing the sulphur-bearing mineral pyrite. Pyrite reacts with air and water to form sulphuric acid and dissolved iron, and as water washes through mines, this compound forms a dilute acid, which can wash into nearby rivers and streams.
Air pollution from coal-fired power plants includes sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, particulate matter (PM), and heavy metals, leading to smog, acid rain, toxins in the environment, and numerous respiratory, cardiovascular, and cerebrovascular effects.
Air pollution from coal mines is mainly due to emissions of particulate matter and gases including methane (CH4), sulfur dioxide (SO2), and nitrogen oxides (NOx), as well as carbon monoxide (CO).
Climate impacts of coal plants - Coal-fired power plants are responsible for one-third of America’s carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, making coal a huge contributor to global warming. Black carbon resulting from incomplete combustion is an additional contributor to climate change.
Coal dust stirred up during the mining process, as well as released during coal transport, which can cause severe and potentially deadly respiratory problems.
Coal fires occur in both abandoned coal mines and coal waste piles. Internationally, thousands of underground coal fires are burning now. Global coal fire emissions are estimated to include 40 tons of mercury going into the atmosphere annually, and three percent of the world's annual carbon dioxide emissions.
Coal combustion waste is the nation's second largest waste stream after municipal solid waste.[9] It is disposed of in landfills or "surface impoundments," which are lined with compacted clay soil, a plastic sheet, or both. As rain filters through the toxic ash pits year after year, the toxic metals are leached out into the local environment.
Coal sludge, also known as slurry, is the liquid coal waste generated by washing coal. It is typically disposed of at impoundments located near coal mines, but in some cases it is directly injected into abandoned underground mines. Since coal sludge contains toxins, leaks or spills can endanger underground and surface waters.
Floods such as the Buffalo Creek Flood caused by mountaintop removal mining and failures of coal mine impoundments.
Forest destruction caused by mountaintop removal mining - According to a 2010 study, mountaintop removal mining has destroyed 6.8% of Appalachia's forests.
Greenhouse gas emissions caused by surface mining - According to a 2010 study, mountaintop removal mining releases large amounts of carbon through clearcutting and burning of trees and through releases of carbon in soil brought to the surface by mining operations. These greenhouse gas emissions amount to at least 7% of conventional power plant emissions.
Loss or degradation of groundwater - Since coal seams are often serve as underground aquifers, removal of coal beds may result in drastic changes in hydrology after mining has been completed.
Radical disturbance of 8.4 million acres of farmland, rangeland, and forests, most of which has not been reclaimed -- See The footprint of coal
Heavy metals and coal - Coal contains many heavy metals, as it is created through compressed organic matter containing virtually every element in the periodic table - mainly carbon, but also heavy metals. The heavy metal content of coal varies by coal seam and geographic region. Small amounts of heavy metals can be necessary for health, but too much may cause acute or chronic toxicity (poisoning). Many of the heavy metals released in the mining and burning of coal are environmentally and biologically toxic elements, such as lead, mercury, nickel, tin, cadmium, antimony, and arsenic, as well as radio isotopes of thorium and strontium.
Mercury and coal - Emissions from coal-fired power plants are the largest source of mercury in the United States, accounting for about 41 percent (48 tons in 1999) of industrial releases.
Methane released by coal mining accounts for about 10 percent of US releases of methane (CH4), a potent global warming gas.
Mountaintop removal mining and other forms of surface mining can lead to the drastic alteration of landscapes, destruction of habitat, damages to water supplies, and air pollution. Not all of these effects can be adequately addressed through coal mine reclamation.
Particulates and coal - Particulate matter (PM) includes the tiny particles of fly ash and dust that are expelled from coal-burning power plants. Studies have shown that exposure to particulate matter is related to an increase of respiratory and cardiac mortality.
Radioactivity and coal - Coal contains minor amounts of the radioactive elements, uranium and thorium. When coal is burned, the fly ash contains uranium and thorium "at up to 10 times their original levels."
Subsidence - Land subsidence may occur after any type of underground mining, but it is particularly common in the case of longwall mining.
Sulfur dioxide and coal - Coal-fired power plants are the largest human-caused source of sulfur dioxide, a pollutant gas that contributes to the production of acid rain and causes significant health problems. Coal naturally contains sulfur, and when coal is burned, the sulfur combines with oxygen to form sulfur oxides.
Thermal pollution from coal plants is the degradation of water quality by power plants and industrial manufacturers - when water used as a coolant is returned to the natural environment at a higher temperature, the change in temperature impacts organisms by decreasing oxygen supply, and affecting ecosystem composition.
Toxins - According to a July 2011 NRDC report, "How Power Plants Contaminate Our Air and States" electricity generation in the U.S. releases 381,740,601 lbs. of toxic air pollution annually, or 49% of total national emissions, based on data from the EPA’s Toxic Release Inventory (2009 data, accessed June 2011). Power plants are the leading sources of toxic air pollution in all but four of the top 20 states by electric sector emissions.
Transportation - Coal is often transported via trucks, railroads, and large cargo ships, which release air pollution such as soot and can lead to disasters that ruin the environment, such as the Shen Neng 1 coal carrier collision with the Great Barrier Reef, Australia that occurred in April 2010.
Waste coal, also known as "culm," "gob," or "boney," is made up of unused coal mixed with soil and rock from previous mining operations. Runoff from waste coal sites can pollute local water supplies.
Water consumption from coal plants - Power generation has been estimated to be second only to agriculture in being the largest domestic user of water.
Water pollution from coal includes the negative health and environmental effects from the mining, processing, burning, and waste storage of coal.

Adult Written byPixarYesDoraNo L. November 20, 2017

I Love This Show

Yeah, I Love This Show, Higher The Rating!

Parent of a 4-year-old Written byJeff C. November 12, 2017

Those trains are terrible people!

Teaches bad lessons. Trains are capitalist drones.
Adult Written byMartin G. September 6, 2017

Adult Written byScout H. August 18, 2016

Not educational!

My 3.5 year old step son would watch this all day every day with his mom, so when he came to my house, I allowed him to watch one episode a day with my two year old. I sat down with them one day to watch it and realized that this show doesn't teach them anything. They don't focus in colors, letters, language, or anything. The only thing it maybe does is teach behavior, but even then many of the characters are very rude to each other. He is 3.5 and can't say a single word except choo choo, so I know that him watching the show all day with her hasn't taught him anything either. The characters are cute, but not what I would let my children watch again.
Adult Written byJoes31 August 12, 2016

It's really good for children,but when you get older it's TERRIBLE

It's a cute show but their's ALOT Of Crashes

Adult Written byHarold Cheese July 4, 2016

A favourite childhood show.

This is a great children's show that has good role models(Edward,Mavis and Toby) and fun entertaining stories that kids will enjoy. The only thing worth noting is a few episodes might scare very young viewers (Ghost Train, Stepney Gets Lost) and some characters (Diesel 10,Diesel, 'Arry and Bert)are not nice characters and might upset very young children. But there is nothing that bad here. About as child friendly as a show can be.
Adult Written byerasmus16 April 26, 2016
Adult Written byKSRB3114 July 17, 2015

Boring

I never liked this blue engine or any of the engines for that matter. My daughter gets bored after watching this for more than a few minutes. Not a lot of singing, except the British kids and a song stuck in the middle of the episodes. The engines are really crappy to each other and always seem to mess things up, with only a scolding from Toppham Hatt. Speaking of which, I have always wondered why he is still in charge of the railways...its good if your kids are into trains and slow moving shows, but dont expect to learn many life lessons.
Adult Written byLowe's man October 5, 2014

Teaches life lessons to the very young; highly recommended.

I will admit that I haven't seen this show since the 90s, when it was part of SHINING TIME STATION. Even then, I only watched occasionally- just enough to get a feel for the characters. Having said that, this is a cut above many other shows for preschoolers. For one thing, all the trains have facial expressions, allowing kids to see what various emotions look like. Moreover, Sir Topham Hat rewards good behavior and scolds- and if I remember right, punishes- bad behavior. He expects nothing but the best from each train. This series teaches life lessons, such as teamwork, cooperation and getting along, to the very young, and does so in an age-appropriate manner. For the sake of children, complete seasons need to be on DVD. As for what you said about this being a male-centric series, it is true that all the trains were initially male while all the passenger cars were female. One parent rightly felt that this gave girls the message that they're less important than boys and complained about it. In response female trains were added, which was a good thing. This shows how much more responsive the producers of this show were and are to complaints, compared to the producers of many other shows.
Parent Written by1GBMOMMY May 5, 2014

NO THANKS!!!

I honestly can't see the good in Thomas the train. All the trains are rude & cross all the time...no thanks. I prefer Chuggington more positive and not so rude.