Parent reviews for Twelve Forever

Twelve Forever Poster Image

Terrible messaging about puberty for young girls!

I literally hate this show. Don’t let any kind of LGBT undertones in this show make you think that there is a positive or insightful discourse to be had here for girls about to embark on puberty. There is literally nothing “woke” here. Just a cartoon playing on young girls’ fears about their developing bodies. Soon after my daughter started watching it, she learned to hate and fear her developing body and we are still trying to overcome the effects of this stupid show years later. This show undid the years of being open about my own body and the changes that her body will undergo with puberty. Thanks to 12 Forever, she has come to understand puberty and changes with that come with it as negative and something that she should be afraid of, something she should reject. Like Reggie does! Reggie hates the idea of growing up. She hates periods, she hates breasts, and she hates femininity. She emotionally avoids things that she feels she should be afraid of and so therefore that’s vogue and the way you’re supposed to handle stuff that you don’t like and you’re worried about. This show is a disaster for young kids, even if you’ve been talking to them about puberty and their body changes their whole lives like I have. I’ve literally been preparing my daughter for a period since she was 2 years old, because I DIDN’T want her to be afraid of what is for most people and awkward and scary time with no guidance. And it feels like that’s all for naught, because the jerks that made this show that they should use their platform to prey on these fears instead of tell them that these changes are natural and that their bodies are good and healthy and beautiful in every form. I can only take comfort in the fact that no one decided to pick up this show after their studio closed.
1 person found this helpful.

It good

Not Recommended

The first episode makes a terrible impression. Definitely not appropriate for the 8+ rating that I see on here. It talks about puberty right off in the first scene with mixed genders. The mom is trying to talk to her about puberty at her birthday party and in front of boys. She has these saggy breasts that fall over her pants! The creatures in her make believe land are either androgynous or super strange amorphous blobs. The villain appears to be a large breasted woman with a man's voice. I have no watched enough to see any of the touching messages some others have written are in here. My 10 year old likes it, but I'm not thrilled with her watching it. It looks like an adult swim cartoon to me.

Show aimed at preteen girls

My son was trying to watch this show. It was not good. Pretty weird. The first episode - the mom (with big saggy boobs) gives the daughter (for her b-day) a pink lacy bra, a razor and shaving cream, deodorant etc. It was stupid. Then later in the show, the mom gives the girl books on becoming a woman and the friend (boy) starts reading them out loud, talking about “fertile lining”, menstrual cramps, becoming a woman etc etc... it was way too much for an 8 year old boy in my opinion. There should be more of a warning that this is like a coming of age cartoon for girls of that age. Ridiculous.

Entertaning

Very creative and fun!

Amazingly real!!

This show pushes the boundaries of a regular weird kids animated show. It's themes are real and very relatable to tweens and kids. Although Reggie (main character) usually has angry outbursts, it's only due to the theme of her not wanting to grow up, not wanting to accept that she isn't a kid anymore, and she doesn't know how to deal with these complex feelings. All of the kids are great role models, not particularly because they are good people, but because they are like REAL people with REAL problems kids and tweens face. I feel like most kids need to watch shows like this, and it will help them understand how their feelings about growing up are totally valid. :)

Sweet, sensitive show that’s actually funny

I enjoy watching this show with my kids. It’s silly, it’s weird, the humor isn’t dumbed-down or gross-out. It’s smart and funny and absurd in the best ways. Reminds me of the weird cartoons from the early 90s I enjoyed, except this show also relates to real issues kids approaching their teens are wrestling with. Parents might appreciate Matt Berry, Steve Agee, and Bridget Everett’s voices and comedic stylings. You may not enjoy it if you’d be offended by cartoony depictions of (clothed) butts or breasts. The adult women are shaped like adult women. The villainess is called the Butt Witch, so . . . if that doesn’t sound funny to you, I guess pass it by.

Highly Reccomended!

This show is incredible, both in quality and for children! I am a mother of two girls and boy, ages 13 and twins aged 9, and they all loved the show! Each character has such good qualities in them, like Ester's hardwork and mediator esc personality, Todds interest in music and the hard work with it, and Reggies kindness and imagination! Not to mention their struggles, which I know as a young girl I would have related too. Reggie fears growing up, Ester feels she must be perfect, and Todd with his family life. The characters are potrayed so realisticly, I couldnt help but feel the charm of the show (and its abundnce if characters! The villan was suprsingly entertaining to watch, even as a full grown adult!) Id also like to congrajulate the show for being so open with a lgbt character! Its awesome to see the world chainging where this is more and mire accepted. Earlier I felt a bit afraid to post this review, as I say 3 revies ALL of which mentioning how the lgbtq character and how it was a bad thing. One even directly saying "it'd be better if reggie didnt like girls". How awful! Ive seen such reviews on other shows before, and many parents on here are way to strict! For one, theres nothing "unchristan" about being lgbtq! Nothing in the bible says ANYTHING about homosexuality being bad, the line many use is mistaken from "man lying with boy" is about pedophillia! Trust me, my mother made me read the bible many many times as a child. Secondly, blocking things like this away from them is only going to make them more curious. Trust me, I think id die if I had all these tracker apps on me like ive heard students in my classroom say they have on their smartphones! These parents dont do this to keep them safe, but to track their every move! I think it should be the sane way with television, yes you should block some stuff at from your child at a younge age (sex, positivity on non medicak drugs/acohol) but seeing a character kiss, or a character legally smoking a cigarette is fine! Trust me, your child will find out eventually, and they will resent you for blocking off so much freedom. If you chuld doesnt know about their own body (say safe sex, condoms) consequences could happen. A bitofftopic I know, but ive seen parents on social media complain ( and even a few reviews on here, before they got deleted!) Thats the show was innapropriate for showing a bra in ONE scene, and a lgbtq character! One even complained of a giant character with one eye looking "too much like a butt" Get over yourself! Also if like to mention that Reggie is not the only openly lgbtq charaxter in the show (though the only human) theres a muscly couple of very freindly man, and a galaxy man going on a date with another male character. Anywho, me and my children loved this show, and are excited for a potential season two! Dont listen to the prude parents on here complaining that a crush (not even a relationship!) on a same gendered character is considered "wrong" or fitting of the "too much sex" tag (get over yourself!)