Kid reviews for Walker, Texas Ranger

Tweens will groan over hokey Western cop drama.

Teen, 16 years old Written byLordoftheRings1997 August 10, 2013

Some Concerns about Violence and Sex, but Otherwise Two Thumbs Up!

This show is AMAZING!!!! I wasn't too sure about it when my mom suggested I watch it, but after the first episode, I couldn't stop watching! There are a lot of positive messages about honor, justice, and loyalty. And the characters prove to be excellent role models. The violence can get a bit much, but it's not the fist fights, it is the other instances of violence, such as shootings, knifing, and even an almost hanging or two. There is some sexual content, and I was surprised that Common Sense didn't realize. In many episodes, the rangers enter nightclubs with scantily clad women dancing VERY provocatively. There is some language, but it is much heavier in the earlier seasons than it is in the last few. You will hear the "B" words sometimes in early seasons, and the "D" and "H" words often all throughout. There is some drinking, but not much. Overall, this is a great show, especially compared to what you see today!

Teen, 14 years old Written byIt's so underrated December 12, 2016

Very intense and educational, but still a great story

This show is the best! ...if the viewer is mature. They need to be able to handle topics such as rape, prostitution, assault, hostages, drugs, murder...hey, it's a show about Texas Rangers. They have to deal with this stuff. Other than that, viewers can see the Rangers upholding morals and truth in tough situations. That's where these seemingly scary plot lines teach people the 'just because your life is tough doesn't mean you can't do the right thing' type of deal.
Sex 2/5: There are many scenes where the rangers are interviewing someone in a bar and strippers (in bikini's) are parading around in the background. In one scene, a woman in a provocative dress pulls a gold chain out of her chest. The main female leads, 2nd D. A. Alex Cahill (Sheree J. Wilson) and Ranger Sydney Cooke (Nia Peeples), have tendencies to wear provocative clothing. Romantic plots are thrown into the series, although many don't last. ***Spoiler alert***: Ranger Cordell Walker (Chuck Norris) ends up marrying Alex and they have a baby named Angela. The series ends with Ranger James Trivette (Clarence Gilyard) being engaged to a guest star from a previous episode. Rangers Francis Gage (so cute!) (Judson Mills) and Sydney Cooke are never seen to start a consistent romantic relationship, although it is obvious that they like each other in that respect. Characters do have romantic moments of kissing. Thankfully, no nudity or sex is shown.
Swearing 2/5: Characters will cuss. It's not like they use it every third sentence, but let's put it at about twice an episode on average.
Drinking/Drugs/Smoking 2/5: Often the story-line involves drugs (white powder in a plastic bag) and a scene in a bar with alcohol is not any surprise.
Violence 4/5: Main characters do get shot, and officers and rangers will die in the line of duty. There are hold-ups. Beatings are reported and seen on camera. In one episode, a crazy fiance, suspecting his girlfriend to be wearing a wire, rips her shirt apart, although her chest is not shown on camera. This is not the first time something like this happens. Alex is kidnapped many times, in which Walker always saves her. He does have to shoot and fight many criminals.
Consumerism 1/5: I personally don't see this as a problem, but the cars are owned by their respective companies (Dodge, Ford, Chevrolet).
Great role models 4/5: However, despite all this, there are great role models. The characters always try to uphold what is right and true. They use martial arts to defend themselves and each other, promoting self-discipline and self-defense. They treat each other with respect (outside of Sydney and Gage, but that's all in fun and flirting). They try to get the kids who are involved with crime to make the right and smart choice. However, Walker, as the series progresses, does use his martial arts on people to get them to confess or do the right thing. These situations are few compared to his normal coolness, but, still: in real life, he gets away with more than he should.
Great messages 3/5: The messages that are taught in this series are good. Like I said earlier, it constantly shows that just because your life is tough doesn't mean you can't do the right thing.
It's a great series and pretty clean compared to today's soap operas. But, I would recommend not letting your little ones watch this. I can't quite say what age is good, but like I said at the beginning of my review: it takes maturity.

Kid, 11 years old June 24, 2014

Chuck Norris is in it...I think you should watch it.

Teen, 13 years old Written bynatgeo January 9, 2012

awsome show, beats up NCIS like norris beating up a white belt!

some teen pregency, two shows deal surprisingly graphicly with rape.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBennyY May 5, 2011

Great if You Want Fights but no Story

This is one of my favorite shows. One thing with the review is they talk about a "relationship". It is perfectly moral. Personally I think the earlier made episodes were better.

Kid, 12 years old November 14, 2010

Read My Review and You will See Why This Show is Great:

CHUCK NORRIS!!!!!!!!!
THE ONLY MAN WHO COUNTED TO INFINITY....TWICE!
Seriously, what drew people to the show was Chuck, and boy was he great! Almost every aspect of the show was cool! Unfortunatly, Chuck's glory should not be viewed by very young kids, for he has a lot of violence. For teens and up, sit back, and enjoy some classic Norris Roundhouse Kick!

Teen, 13 years old Written byEzio432 September 24, 2010

OKAY for 12+

This show is great. I am a mature 13 year old teen and I watch this show with my grandpa sometimes. I pretty much agree with all Common Sense Media except for one thing, they forgot that in some episodes their are strip clubs. But these are not too graphic and at the worst show women's rears with covering such as lengerie and they just dance around. It also has some mild language, but not too bad.

Kid, 9 years old July 24, 2010

Great show to watch with my grandma

It's a great show to watch with family. Sure there is some violence but it's not all that bad.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjk321 May 13, 2009

Walker

From TV to THe Museume of Crime and Punishment, Chuck Norris has made his mark in many ways, Texas Ranger is one of them. Everyone knows Walker Texas Ranger but if your wondering about info on what the age limit is, its Chuck Norris round house kicking bad guys. But seriously there is some violence but a great show.

Chuck Norris rules!!!

Yeah! I love this show except it's on in the morning. The violence is pretty bad but the social behavior is good because they beat people up for a good reason. How dare Common Sense Media give this 2 stars!? It's 6 STARS OUT OF 5!!! OFF THE SCALE AWESOME. Now for a semi-serious review: The biggest problem would probably be the violence (although rape is discussed on occasion). The language isn't too bad, but when the criminal is going to do something bad, how can you help but swear? Social behavior is good because people are senselessly beaten for a good cause. You have to watch it right now! It's awesome.