All parent member reviews for WordGirl

Parent Written bysquili January 10, 2011

Horrible Show

I hate this show. While it's nice to see a tough girl in the lead role there is just too much emphasis bad guys. It's also incredibly sassy. My 5 yr old daughter has been telling us to 'Scram!' a lot lately, and she got it from Word Girl. Not a show I plan on letting her watch anymore.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bydz302 January 26, 2011

Great for kids vocabulary

My 5 year old has watched word girl since she was 3. She loves it, and I see nothing but positives. Keep up the good work.
Parent Written byContikiCarrie February 17, 2012

Not for us

I've watched several episodes in an attempt to determine if the sassy and disrespectful behavior (esp. toward the adults!) was a one-off. Unfortunately, it wasn't. I wouldn't allow my children to watch this at any age, but my husband and I are relatively conservative when it comes to TV viewing and the messages we choose to expose our children to (aged 4 and 5). Super Why, National Geographic, Sesame Street, and Dinosaur Train top our list when looking for TV. Perhaps we parents of little ones are only trying to protect their innocence a little longer... you can't "un-expose" children to ideas (such as sassing your parents, acting self-righteous b/c you're right and someone else is wrong, etc.) As they enter kindergarten and grade school I know that they will experience situations with children and families that make different choices than we do, but hope that by presenting media that is consistent with our rules and the types of behavior that we expect that they will have the strength of character and enough of a fledgling moral compass to negotiate those situations with self-confidence, empathy and good judgement.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byDaddy Cares October 5, 2010

Child Identifies Race Issue

Hi, Parents. My daughter is age 4. She pointed out to me that almost everytime the "brown boy" gives an answer on Can I Have A Word, he gets it wrong. She identifies with the "brown boy" because he is the same color as she. But she does not want to be classified with someone that's almost always wrong. After she pointed this out to me I took a closer look, and suprisingly noticed that what she discovered is true. Unfortunately, the cartoons are already fixed and changing this is not easy, so I have decided not to let my African American daughter view this show, which is not a big loss since the show also promotes violence...
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bysRicker March 26, 2010

Fun and educational

We have been watching Word Girl for a while now and my children's vocabulary has improved dramatically. They can't wait to what "cool new words" they can learn next! I couldn't believe my ears when my 7 year old asked to go somewhere and we couldn't go he told me how "crestfallen" he was feeling!!! Then he gave me the definition because he didn't think I understood him!! I was taken aback to say the least, but that is something any parent would be proud of.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Howlingly Funny and Educational Show gor Kids

WORLD GIRL is a fun show for all. It teaches kids vocabulary while being engaging and funny for even adults. No objectionable content, only the occasional "bang" or "whoosh" slapstick and animated superhero violence. Highly recommended.
Parent of a 5, 12, 14, and 18 year old Written bykawaiikittenz April 13, 2015

too sassy.

Not for young kids!
Parent of a 4 year old Written bypkz23 June 6, 2010

Cooler than Little Bear but still appropriate for wee ones

Absolutely love this show! My four-year-old can't get enough and thinks Word Girl is the coolest super hero around. Positive in all the right ways but still really entertaining.
Adult Written bySamanthamaster1 November 21, 2014

Very educational for elementary kids and Great role models for teenagers/early 20's.

WordGirl is a great show for everyone, educational for elementary schoolers, because, she teaches children very sophisticated words and definitions and it's still entertaining to watch for everyone else. This is one of the most recommended cartoons for elementary-aged kids, a lot better and more intelligent than fanboy and chum chum, fairly oddparents, and, some of the other dumb cartoons that target elementary aged kids. WordGirl is also a great role model for young girls, because, she shows that females are brave and strong, I would even recommend that young girls in their teens and early 20's should watch it just for positive female role models, because, a lot of young girls ages 12 - 24 feel insecure about themselves and it will show young boys that girls can be superheroes as well. Great for children ages 5 - 24, educational value is good for ages 5 - 11 and good role models are perfect for ages 12 - 24.
Parent Written bykimamb March 22, 2012

Mom of 10 year old

I think some of you are being too critical. This is a great show. There's no punching or hitting other people. So there's elementary school-like crushes. The main charater is 10 or 11, it's natural for kids of that age range to be interested in things like the opposite gender. It teaches words, alot I'm learning also and I'm 40. My daughter who's 10, is mentally challenged so she's learning as well as I am. And there are alot of jokes only people at my age will understand. So, it may not be for kids under 2 or 3, but it's still a very good show.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byBeatriz Azevedo December 12, 2009

Not educational and not appropriate for kids under 7

Hate it. Watched it attentively 3 times and browsed at it several other times. The supposedly educational content is practically non-existent - one or two few new words per episode for a lot of stressfull situations with yelling characters! It is practically the same kind of animations like Pokemon, Ben 10 and these other super heroes fighting the evil; I don't see why it was ever sold as educational or appropriate for pre-school.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 28, 2009

this show is to.....

the show is to vilont for a learning show. and having crushes????????? not apropreat!
Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written bypkbos April 9, 2008

Great brainfood for kids who love superheros

Of all the great new PBS shows, both my boys love this one best. At 4.5 & 5.5 yrs old, the fact that Wordgirl beats the bad guys has them totally hooked. They don't even realize they're learning vocabulary. Fantastic show, wish it was on more often.
Educator and Parent of a 1, 4, and 9 year old Written byCgal August 1, 2015

Anti-compromise and promotes lying !!! and barely educational

I was on the fence with this show, but the boys (4 and 9) loved it, so we were still watching ... You learn one or maybe two words an episode, so barely educational. But then they saw the episode where sandwich guy was going to destroy city hall. Word girl lies to him REPEATEDLY, and when she asks him what he wants so he'll stop he says, "a foot long sandwich". To which she replies thats not a big enough demand!?! She tells him he has to ask for something much bigger! We are CONSTANTLY working on getting the boys to compromise and work things out between themselves, watching a heroine be presented with an opportunity to compromise, and not only not compromise, but actually make the situation worse is not going to help. And the heroine lying, repeatedly??? By the time your kids are mature enough for all the content in this show they'll probably already know the vocabulary.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byAshleyw86 September 5, 2011

Not for my child

I let my five year old watch this show, then sat and watched it with her one day. After that I don't let her watch it anymore. I think there's too much violence and overall negative feel to the show. I do not agree that the good of the vocabulary outweighs the negative of the violence. All that said, I may give it another try though. Just to be sure.
Parent Written bymama2011 May 6, 2011

Totally Disappointed! You would think a title like "WordGirl" would be a positive show for young kids. I don't like how they "Gram" as the bad person (when we have teaching respect to elders) and using "words" such as idoit. Don't you think they get enough bad exposure that you could make a positive show?
Parent Written byChris1700 June 16, 2011

not for teens

it figths and goes to school
Parent of a 6 year old Written bydgjd August 12, 2010

Sophisticated and silly

This show is nice bridge out of toddler/preschooler viewing and into lower elementary. It has what young kids might consider scary, which is exactly what my 6 year old is looking for.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bySarahS January 8, 2010

Not bad. Does deal with interesting issues. What spoils the show for me is the fact that it tries to cater so heavily to parents sense of humor. Focus on kids, forget about being "smart" so as to keep parents amused.
Adult Written bySp3mom April 9, 2008

I it! Absolutely love it!

I allow my children to watch it all of the time. They love learning new words and I hear them trying to utilize the words in the right context. My 4 year old daughter told me today that it is cumbersome to clean her room. She just turned 4. My 5 year old son uses the words all of the time. Words that he would not otherwise hear in pre-school. My 2 year old is following right behind them. This show is definitely a vehicle of learning for children of all ages.