All parent member reviews for WordGirl

Parent Written bysquili January 10, 2011

Horrible Show

I hate this show. While it's nice to see a tough girl in the lead role there is just too much emphasis bad guys. It's also incredibly sassy. My 5 yr old daughter has been telling us to 'Scram!' a lot lately, and she got it from Word Girl. Not a show I plan on letting her watch anymore.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bydz302 January 26, 2011

Great for kids vocabulary

My 5 year old has watched word girl since she was 3. She loves it, and I see nothing but positives. Keep up the good work.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byDaddy Cares October 5, 2010

Child Identifies Race Issue

Hi, Parents. My daughter is age 4. She pointed out to me that almost everytime the "brown boy" gives an answer on Can I Have A Word, he gets it wrong. She identifies with the "brown boy" because he is the same color as she. But she does not want to be classified with someone that's almost always wrong. After she pointed this out to me I took a closer look, and suprisingly noticed that what she discovered is true. Unfortunately, the cartoons are already fixed and changing this is not easy, so I have decided not to let my African American daughter view this show, which is not a big loss since the show also promotes violence...
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bysRicker March 26, 2010

Fun and educational

We have been watching Word Girl for a while now and my children's vocabulary has improved dramatically. They can't wait to what "cool new words" they can learn next! I couldn't believe my ears when my 7 year old asked to go somewhere and we couldn't go he told me how "crestfallen" he was feeling!!! Then he gave me the definition because he didn't think I understood him!! I was taken aback to say the least, but that is something any parent would be proud of.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Howlingly Funny and Educational Show gor Kids

WORLD GIRL is a fun show for all. It teaches kids vocabulary while being engaging and funny for even adults. No objectionable content, only the occasional "bang" or "whoosh" slapstick and animated superhero violence. Highly recommended.
Parent Written bykimamb March 22, 2012

Mom of 10 year old

I think some of you are being too critical. This is a great show. There's no punching or hitting other people. So there's elementary school-like crushes. The main charater is 10 or 11, it's natural for kids of that age range to be interested in things like the opposite gender. It teaches words, alot I'm learning also and I'm 40. My daughter who's 10, is mentally challenged so she's learning as well as I am. And there are alot of jokes only people at my age will understand. So, it may not be for kids under 2 or 3, but it's still a very good show.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bypkz23 June 6, 2010

Cooler than Little Bear but still appropriate for wee ones

Absolutely love this show! My four-year-old can't get enough and thinks Word Girl is the coolest super hero around. Positive in all the right ways but still really entertaining.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byBeatriz Azevedo December 12, 2009

Not educational and not appropriate for kids under 7

Hate it. Watched it attentively 3 times and browsed at it several other times. The supposedly educational content is practically non-existent - one or two few new words per episode for a lot of stressfull situations with yelling characters! It is practically the same kind of animations like Pokemon, Ben 10 and these other super heroes fighting the evil; I don't see why it was ever sold as educational or appropriate for pre-school.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 28, 2009

this show is to.....

the show is to vilont for a learning show. and having crushes????????? not apropreat!
Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written bypkbos April 9, 2008

Great brainfood for kids who love superheros

Of all the great new PBS shows, both my boys love this one best. At 4.5 & 5.5 yrs old, the fact that Wordgirl beats the bad guys has them totally hooked. They don't even realize they're learning vocabulary. Fantastic show, wish it was on more often.
Parent Written byContikiCarrie February 17, 2012

Not for us

I've watched several episodes in an attempt to determine if the sassy and disrespectful behavior (esp. toward the adults!) was a one-off. Unfortunately, it wasn't. I wouldn't allow my children to watch this at any age, but my husband and I are relatively conservative when it comes to TV viewing and the messages we choose to expose our children to (aged 4 and 5). Super Why, National Geographic, Sesame Street, and Dinosaur Train top our list when looking for TV. Perhaps we parents of little ones are only trying to protect their innocence a little longer... you can't "un-expose" children to ideas (such as sassing your parents, acting self-righteous b/c you're right and someone else is wrong, etc.) As they enter kindergarten and grade school I know that they will experience situations with children and families that make different choices than we do, but hope that by presenting media that is consistent with our rules and the types of behavior that we expect that they will have the strength of character and enough of a fledgling moral compass to negotiate those situations with self-confidence, empathy and good judgement.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byAshleyw86 September 5, 2011

Not for my child

I let my five year old watch this show, then sat and watched it with her one day. After that I don't let her watch it anymore. I think there's too much violence and overall negative feel to the show. I do not agree that the good of the vocabulary outweighs the negative of the violence. All that said, I may give it another try though. Just to be sure.
Parent Written bymama2011 May 6, 2011

Totally Disappointed! You would think a title like "WordGirl" would be a positive show for young kids. I don't like how they "Gram" as the bad person (when we have teaching respect to elders) and using "words" such as idoit. Don't you think they get enough bad exposure that you could make a positive show?
Parent of a 6 year old Written bydgjd August 12, 2010

Sophisticated and silly

This show is nice bridge out of toddler/preschooler viewing and into lower elementary. It has what young kids might consider scary, which is exactly what my 6 year old is looking for.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bySarahS January 8, 2010

Not bad. Does deal with interesting issues. What spoils the show for me is the fact that it tries to cater so heavily to parents sense of humor. Focus on kids, forget about being "smart" so as to keep parents amused.
Parent of a 1, 4, 8, 10, 13, 14, 14, and 17 year old Written byparentof7 February 26, 2015

my kids vocabulary has improved

great for grade schoolers but im looking for something for my 1 year old
Adult Written bySamanthamaster1 November 21, 2014

Very educational for elementary kids and Great role models for teenagers/early 20's.

WordGirl is a great show for everyone, educational for elementary schoolers, because, she teaches children very sophisticated words and definitions and it's still entertaining to watch for everyone else. This is one of the most recommended cartoons for elementary-aged kids, a lot better and more intelligent than fanboy and chum chum, fairly oddparents, and, some of the other dumb cartoons that target elementary aged kids. WordGirl is also a great role model for young girls, because, she shows that females are brave and strong, I would even recommend that young girls in their teens and early 20's should watch it just for positive female role models, because, a lot of young girls ages 12 - 24 feel insecure about themselves and it will show young boys that girls can be superheroes as well. Great for children ages 5 - 24, educational value is good for ages 5 - 11 and good role models are perfect for ages 12 - 24.
Parent Written byDelwyn November 13, 2014

WurdGurl kant spel. No spelling done here. What a disservice!

Xtra! Xtra! Wurdgurl duz not nowe howe too spel. Reesently, I noteced the Emy Award-wining WordGirl prograhm dos not show corect speling off wurd being defineed on the actuel TV skreen. Wat a missteak! U r teeching the hole wurld fonetic (spech) and abdikating ur dooty to teechers to firnesh corect speling and educayton off our ofspring. How ar our cildran suphosed no to spel it rite - U ar faling down on ur job. I personally am affronted by your program (airing since September 2007) not taking the right, human and educational next step and teaching our children the correct spelling in the English language (and how many other countries language and spelling are you subjecting children to this subversion? You are sabotaging our kids learning. If you are not going to do this right - then just take your undeserved Emmy Award and other unwarranted accreditation by propaganda providing mainstream media - and go away. I am mad and I will not back down. Your transgressions and your failings of not being a good teacher are criminal. There is plenty of TV screen. Post the spelling. What would kids do in a spelling-bee? Fail miserably without spell check. You can count on me contacting - - - - etc. etc. etc. I have four different websites with thousands of readers and I am very good on writing keyword optimized content that goes right to page one on Google, Yahoo and Bing. I advise you to remedy this stupid shortfall in the learning process on your part. You might want to have WordGirl's monkey sidekick Captain Huggy Face learn the speak and write English and thereby be a teachers assistant. WordGurl stop being so violent, disrespectful and sassy! Of course, our children will never get any well paying jobs unless they all learn how to correctly write and spell the darn words. Quit dumbing down our kids into to mouth breathing numb-skulls. The corrupt education system and our leaders are doing too much of that already. I have just about had it with everyone dropping the ending (ing) off words and sounding like uneducated vernacular lowlife idiots. This is subterfuge bordering on tyranny on your part. Either fix it, or else, I will expand my mission to right this wrong. Delwyn Lounsbury - The Deflation Guru is an Eagle Scout - his website is www.deflationeconomy.com
Parent Written byaimless1 January 12, 2013

Horrible show for any age!!

This show is terrible! I have given it a few chances but I am always disturbed by what I hear going on. It is ridiculous and not even fun to watch. I don't hear any vocabulary teaching at all. If you want vocab education then watch Martha Speaks. This show is annoying, offensive, and ugly to watch!!!
Parent Written byChris1700 June 16, 2011

not for teens

it figths and goes to school