All parent member reviews for Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's

Parent Written bybrotherjoseph August 10, 2011

THE BEST AROUND

My kids speak Danish. Sadly, they can't use English. The phuck?
Educator Written bygeorgeorange May 30, 2009

Best series of YGO to date

I've watched all the series of Yugioh, to the original, to the GX, and now, to the 5Ds. I have to say, 5Ds are the most exciting up to date. Unlike the previous where they stood and battled, the motorcycle theme has added an extra dramatic "punch" to the series. The series is more intense, I believe, and geared toward the older viewers of the Yugioh fans. There is still a lot of the "friendship" theme going on, but there is also blood, violence, and romance in it as well (as far as I have seen in the Japanese version), and more intense than the previous Yugioh series. Although...if you don't like Yugioh in the first place, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you are a Yugioh fan, then I definitely do recommend it, and don't let the motorcycle fool you because they are actually really fascinating.
Adult Written bypoissonrouge May 28, 2013

Entertaining

Recommended for ages 15+ (I'm 18 and found it to be enjoyable, as well as even moderately thought-provoking at times) So to begin, I watched the original uncut Japanese version of the show. I have not seen the dub (I was able to sit through about 60 seconds of it to the point when Yuusei said, "I'm coming for you Jack, and this time I'm going to settle the score"). While the subbed version is (supposedly) darker, the characters are much more positive role models. i.e. in the first episode Yuusei is not trying to 'settle the score' with Jack (which honestly sounds rather violent to me), but simply wants Jack to return the card he stole and possibly make up with him (what a concept!). The show focuses on people working to get along with each other. The main characters show compassion to their 'enemies' and people who are not accepted by the rest of society. They also seem to genuinely care for the safety and well-being of others. (as a note, Jack, who is extremely arrogant at the beginning of the series goes through a lot of positive character development, I've read this is not as drastic in the English version). Another positive aspect of this show is that it is moderately thought-provoking. It raises questions such as: How do our actions affect others? Is it right for some people to live in poverty while others are rich? It also presents the idea that good people are born into unfortunate circumstances and can't simply 'pull themselves up by the bootstraps.' One of the main messages of this show (in my mind) was that everyone should have a chance to have a good life (there shouldn't need to be a 'Satellite' to complement the 'City'). The possibly negative: the show is somewhat violent, characters get hit/kicked, they also injure themselves in motorcycle accidents, some characters die, the cards fight during the card games. (I would suppose the majority of this does not happen in the English dub). Some characters have sad/violent back-stories (several grew up in poverty). There is also theft. The language they use is not particularly bad, but it's not always polite (watch it for yourself and decide). The Japanese itself is certainly not formal super polite Japanese, but I don't recall every hearing anything particularly awful. These are also scenes where people are drinking, however I do not recall the main characters drinking at any point. While in my opinion this show is not the best thing for your younger child to be watching, it is unlikely anything in this show will have a serious negative impact on them. Another plus to having your kids watch the Japanese (subbed) version is that even though the show does not have any concrete educational value the fact that it is in a foreign language and created in another country will at the very least allow them to pick up some of the language and culture. The subtitles will also force them to read. (As a warning, if you are thinking of watching this to learn conversational Japanese, please don't. This show is fine if you want to work on your comprehension, but please don't address yourself as 'waga' or 'ore' like Jack). The Japanese (with subtitles!) and English versions are both available on Hulu for no cost.
Adult Written byZonoya December 1, 2011

duel master

LOOOOOVE IT.
Parent Written bydaveyinaz June 29, 2011

Good show

I'm talking about the English dub since I haven't seen anyone writing their review in Japanese. As a fan of the original Yu-gi-oh!, I was always confused at what there was not to like about it and/or it's associated game. The game promotes critical thinking in a variety of ways including (depending on the speed of the game) quick mathematical calculations, deductive reasoning, etc., as well as "outside of the box" thinking. Plus it's better that your child learns a game where rules need to be adhered to instead of out on the streets acting like deliquents, but I digress. The show is indeed in fact darker and more complex than its' predecessors, the main hero has not had the best life and is not put in the best of situations but what is admirable is that he keeps to his convictions which are positive ones like standing by his friends and trying to save people. This show is a bit more realistic than the previous two series in that when I say it's more "darker and complex" I mean that it's more closer to reality than most people would like to admit as there are societal issues, connotationally ethnical issues, betrayal, etc. that has a bearing on the story rather than just clear cut black and white, good versus bad kind of plot. My overall recommendation is that this show is a good one for teenagers. Now does this mean every teenager should watch it? No, but what it does mean is that if your child is going to watch it, then I would suggest talking to him/her about what they have seen and hear out their interpretation of things.
Adult Written byRevelations May 7, 2011

Great, appealing, and Awesome.

I've watched the entire series (By that I mean the Japanese edition, the English edition is terribly dubbed). There are a couple of violent parts I could recall in the 1st season such as one of the character's arm being put into a container full of medicinal fluids (in the Japanese edition of course, the English one shouldn't be a problem). In the 2nd season (though I doubt this will be shown in the English dub), there are some horrific scenes of the fate of the city the main characters are living in (Some spoilers here), it turns out mankind is at war with robotic beings, and this isn't a cartoonish war, this is guns and people dying and other whatnot (I have NO IDEA how they're gonna dub this because the 2nd season revolves around this story). The 2nd season revolves around War and "Despair" of the survivors of the future war. With the English dubbed version, it would be suitable for kids (not too young though, you don't want them to be addicted to a card game that becomes a bit too complicated). However, as they watch the English dub, it's likely that new episodes will be released very slowly so they would attempt to watch the Japanese dub on the computer with Subtitles. Basically, I would recommend this show to the older viewing audience (at least 12+). If your child does not have access to internet, I would recommend it to be (8+). As for my own personal review of this series, I may be a bit old to be watching stuff like Yu Gi Oh, however this is series I've definitely loved. Some lines are a bit cheesy but this show ultimately kept my childhood alive, the only problem is that it's over. My Ratings: Creativity - 4/5 Characters - 4.5/5 Story - 5/5 Production - 3.5/5 Lasting Appeal - 5/5 I've watched every episode of this series, although it leaves me wanting more, this is definitely one series I will never forget.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bystarkehome@comc... January 2, 2011

I play yu gi oh cards with friends at school and home. I love it. I watch yu gi oh on my birthday july 12,1989. I buy yu gi oh cake from publix so we can eat it.