All teen and kid member reviews for Yu-Gi-Oh!

Teen, 17 years old Written byshady_atem April 9, 2008

japanese and English versions very different

The rating I gave on YuGiOh is based on the real Japanese version so I put BIG ISSUE on most of the pole. YuGiOh was created by Kazuki Takahashi and it became anime in 1996. YuGiOh was originally intended for older youth of about 13yrs & up. All the other reviews I read seem to be based on the English dub version. It's the edited version of YuGiOh made for kids. All the sex, violence, blood, killing is edited out. In Japan it wouldn't be recommended that kids watch it. I'm sorry but i just had to let kids and parents know that. Although it's not the real version I think the EDITED YuGiOh is appropriate for children 8yrs-up. It's a great, good quality anime show and it's meaning is about freindship and the loyalty between friends which is very important for children to know. Plus the card game is cool and teaches useful skills such as math(calculating monster damage) for example. The unedited Japanese version is NOT meant for kids at all. I am a HUGE fan of the show, magna and movies!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMoviefreak124 November 4, 2009

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The series was excellent and awesome and should have gone to the End.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBlueDragonMaster98 June 5, 2010

4kids is very bad at dubbing

4kids messed Yu-Gi-Oh! up very bad. The Japanese version is better and more adult (but barely). Even so, it makes more sense than the 4kids garbage.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytecnafan May 3, 2015

HEK YA

I LOVE THIS SHOW IT HAS MANY LIFE LESSONS LIKE NEVER GIVE UP, FRIEDNSHIP AND HAS A AWESOME STORY LINE, THIS YU-GI-OH IS BETTER THEN THE NEW VERSION EVEN THOUGH IM 13
Teen, 14 years old Written byBakura FTW May 21, 2011

Painstakingly Amazing

I admit, I was in love with this series. I practically grew up with it and I was horribly dismayed to find that it had not been listed in ANY "Top [animes, TV shows]...." I read! The outstanding storylines, grounding character depth and overall awesomeness blew me away, but it seems that the brilliant anime did not get the proper recognition it deserved! I checked the trailers and advertising, which seemed fine, so I guess people just don't like the idea of epic card games with a dangerous Egyptian twist. :(. However, even I admit the constant ramblings of the characters as they explain (to the audience) the entire game gets a little tiresome. Very, very minor violence and blood (due to 4kids' strict dubbing). Then there are the follow ons, GX, 5Ds, and the new Zexal. GX was very nearly as epic as the original, and I really did try to love 5Ds, but I couldn't get over the whole "card games on motorcycles" theme. Zexal? So far, Zexal has honestly just been one big, screwed up "WTF?!".
Teen, 13 years old Written byMızυκı November 19, 2015

Yu-Gi-Oh! (The Many Versions)

The original anime, meaning when it is in Japanese and subbed in English or another language, is meant to be for ages 12-13+. It has a few sentences that younger audiences may find confusing or disturbing. Such as lines from the third season concerning one character having a mark burned into him by his father. There are messages about changing for the better somewhere in the seasons that are very good to hear especially from the heroic protagonist Yugi Mutou. However, I do not recommend showing young children this version. The English dub by 4kids is said by fans to have "ruined" the show, however, I believe that the voice actors are fine (I like Eric Stuart/Kaiba's voice actor, he's funny irl) and the story line is okay. The show just doesn't make as much sense considering the darker points that make up the reasons of the key events are removed from the show. This version (ENG) focuses on how the heart of the cards and friendship can overcome anything and is a good show for children (6+) to watch. There are some mildly scary looking monsters used in the card game, but good usually wins in the end, so it isn't like showing a 5 year old The Hunger games (do not try this). Lastly, there is a "forgotten" season of Yu-Gi-Oh! which is often refereed to as "season 0." This is made from the original first manga series and is made for teens (13+). It contains violence and jokes that are a bit inappropriate for young kids (about girls). The most honorable character from the main series is portrayed as more of a dark alter ego that protects his host person he lives in (he's a spirit) by killing anyone who harms him or his friends. Not for kids, too many scary situation where characters almost die, disappear, or go insane. There is also something that happens called "Death T" which is like a very corrupt version of an amusement park run by the main antagonist from most of the seasons (Seto Kaiba). I hope this review helps those who choose to read it. The two things highlighted for families to know about refer to the English dub. Just so no one is confused. Have fun watching! :)
Teen, 15 years old Written byCarFox July 6, 2011

Watch it.

I admit that I used to watch this show all the time when I was a kid. Come on people, have a little faith in your children. It's just a television show. Yu-Gi-Oh! isn't any more violent than Pokemon. This show has good role models who always stand up for what is right and would do anything for their friends. Some of the monster designs can get a little disturbing, but it's not anything to worry about. As for the plot: at times it's really good and entertaining, but it can also get very cheesy, but that's not a problem for kids. The thing that really made me love this show was the Egyptian theme. I always loved seeing the characters that were from Egypt and the season where the actually travel to the Pharoh's homeland was top-notch. Here's some advice, though: don't watch GX or 5D's unless you want your kids to be exposed to the most horrific thing in the history of things. (It starts with a "C" and ends with an "ard games on motorcycles.)
Kid, 12 years old June 10, 2011

Umm

Personally, I hate this show. It is stupid, but Jaden is hot. But; look Yugi-Oh! up now, so many parodies and fandubs have been made about it by a man they call "Little Kuriboh" that are explicit. His parodies include every cuss word you can think of, and some you may not have even heard of. So I think Yugi-Oh! is a very dangerous YouTube topic for any age. Look up "Without Yugi", and "Jaden's Rap" on YouTube.
Kid, 10 years old May 1, 2011

a anime,but bad

DONT WATCH THIS (yes its anime but its terrible!)watch Hikaru No Go insted!its much better!
Kid, 11 years old March 24, 2011

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im a kid and i enjoy the show but parents dont be fooled im a christain and some of this stuff is VERY unGodly so just be REALLY REALLY REALLY careful
Teen, 17 years old Written byygofan42 April 9, 2008
Kid, 11 years old April 5, 2016

awesome

It's really good . There's no blood or bad language in it. Also, it's not that violent. It's just a little bit scary with the monsters. It's sooooooooo awesome!!! It can help you think and strategize.
Teen, 17 years old Written bypsychosilver December 7, 2015

The reality....

Yu-Gi-Oh was initially a teen-based manga. This involved mature content such as death, themes of a sexual nature, violence.... It was carried on through the anime as well, but was later put through to a western audience where it lost most of these values and became something full of cliches. Nontheless, I advise it. Whilst slow-going at times, Yu-Gi-Oh is a fantastic watch (and read) with great characters, morals and offers on new insights onto how people view life. To say its something for children....well, as I said previously, read the manga. It'll enlighten you a little more.
Kid, 12 years old July 29, 2014

Wow

Awesome show! Yugi and his friends are good role models Has some content not appropriate for young kids but at least it's not bad as the manga
Teen, 15 years old Written byHainesama123 January 16, 2014

best anime evah!

I love the japanese version of Yu-gi-oh way more than the english version. The japanese version is a little bit objectionable with innuedo, language, and other things. I love Yusei!
Kid, 10 years old January 1, 2014

I SUMMON..... THIS REVIEW!!

I have mixed feelings about this show. Partially because the main character, Yugi Moto, has a creepy alter ego,Yami, that bears great resemblance to him and Yami has the ability to "Mind Crush" someone. If this process is performed on a single person multiple times, they can DIE. Despite all of this, the show suprisingly has a positive message concerning friendship and trust. But, the show advertises the actual Yu-Gi-Oh card game which encourages people to imitate what they see on TV in real life. The original graphic novel contains bad words and sexual content. But, then again the novel was rated T for teens. Also, there is a dark hell-like called the Shadow Realm where spirits are captured and lost forever with fear in every corner. But, the show itself is very exciting with the different monsters and characters with strange personalities and wacky hair. Like characters that are stuck-up or full of themselves, compassionate and caring or just plain creepy. In conclusion, You should be careful when when watching this show because some of this you might find down right disturbing.
Kid, 11 years old December 17, 2013

GREAT ITS AWESOME

I love it perfect for anyone better than b daman
Teen, 14 years old Written byDinostomper December 15, 2013

Yu-Gi-Oh! rated #1

This is a really good show that talks mainly about friends ship. If my words aren't enough to convince you. I'll say this. Yu-Gi-Oh! is named 1 rated over Pokemon and Magic the gathering and Bakugan and B-daman.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAqua Kaiba December 9, 2012

Good but with a dark side

Yu-Gi-Oh is a great seris for kids but do NOT have them look it up on youtube they will find Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged seris which it good if you're like 14 or older There is also many Yaoi and Yuri things online ( ex. Puppyshipping TheifShipping etc. )
Teen, 15 years old Written byeuphemia11 November 6, 2012

Great for just about anyone!

遊戯王 (Yu-Gi-Oh!) was released the same year as the first Pókemon merchandise; it is not copy or new take on it. There's a lot to know about the original and 4Kids version of the show in order to understand it and make a decision for yourself or anyone else. I'll start here. There were many more violent and adult aspects in the original Japanese show that were censored out, including weapons such as guns and daggers, as well as death, murder, abuse, and in one instance a suicidal gesture. 4Kids changed it so there is no death and very minimal violence. Other changes include the persistent and blatant removal of punching, slapping, and hitting of any kind which does, in severe cases, take away from the continuity of the plot. But as far as violence goes, the worst you're going to get here are some aftermath band-aids. When it comes to sex it's the same story as with the violence. The original manga and anime contained more – some suggestive or revealing clothes on women, and brief implied nudity (male) in a few cases. Also, in the original show Yami (Atem) calls Yugi “aibou”, which literally means “partner” but often, and partly as a result of the Yu-Gi-Oh! original and abridged series, takes on a homosexual connotation. This, however, is also omitted for the English dub. But all in all sex is not something to worry about in either show. Consumerism – What people need to understand is that both the manga and the anime were released before the card game. Today, it's much easier to interpret the show as a commercial for the game but it simply isn't true. You can rest assured this show is intended for a young audience and though there is some “scariness”, it's safe for just about any age. The only reason I recommend a higher age is because the show does retain a moderate amount of depth, complexity, and moral examination. The majority of this comes in the fourth season when some characters, including one of the protagonists (Yami/Atem), become evil due to the “Stone of Orichalcos”. Much of this season is spent with him doubting himself and trying to figure out who he is/was and what he believes. Most of the other seasons are more shallow, but with strong continuing positive messages of friendship, loyalty, honesty, courage, and kindness. One of the great features about this show is that the older you are, the more there is to understand and like about it, so it's not limited to kids. All in all I would recommend this show to just about anyone. For older viewers (At least 13) I would also suggest the manga or original Japanese version or possibly Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series, a very hilarious take on the show (Again, older!).