All parent member reviews for Zoey 101

Parent Written byMrCrocodile April 29, 2013

It's a Cute Show

I really enjoyed this show. Beginning to end. I don't think I was ever in the demographic for this show but I loved it. I didn't think Zoey 101 was considered a comedy but apparently it is. I saw it as a little drama series much like I did for Lizzie McGuire. I don't think the girls are using lots of makeup or wearing really inappropriate clothing. If that WAS true, their own school would say something about it when they'd go to class. They're really well grounded for kids who are by themselves with only the teachers and guidance counsellors at the school. And there's criticism for the character Zoey which baffles me. There's a review where someone says something positive about Zoey. Something I think makes me character cool. Zoey maybe popular, but she's also nice and she's a leader and she has good grades and she's tutored other kids. Usually the popular girl is a mean girl in TV and movies. Usually they aren't this smart and I love that as a popular girl, Zoey stands out. It's sad people don't see the character in a good light but think about it. Isn't this the girl you want to see running your school? Isn't this the girl you want to see be popular? This may not happen in real life, but this is I think beautiful to look at. I also love the school, inside and out. I know schools shouldn't have to look a certain way to be good but I think the setting creates a comfortable environment for the students. As for the other characters, I know people might not like Logan because of how much of a ladies man he is and how obnoxious can he be, and I know Quinn's inventions can be a bit dangerous (but still awesome) and she can be quite weird. But I think it's cute to see that Logan and Quinn of all boys and girls, eventually fall for each other. Michael is okay. I didn't see much about him except he was a good friend of Chase's. All the characters are fine. I love Lola especially. I love how Zoey shows in the first episode that girls can do things just as good as boys can. Often there's a boys vs girls thing going on which I love about the show. And people saying that by now boys and girls would've been having sex by now if they were in this boarding school, you clearly must believe kids are total mindless morons with no common sense because these kids are better than that. It's much different from Dan's other work but I love it anyway.
Educator and Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byBibliomaniac Mom April 9, 2008

Tween Magnet, But Talk to Your Kids About It!

This is a favotrite of my two tween (11, 12) daughters. I agree with CSM that the world of Zoey is very idealistic, with not many real world, tough problems that today's teens face addressed here. (Perhaps this attracts a wider audience for the network.) Like other shows marketed for a tween audience, keep in mind that the characters date and have kissing and touching as a problem focus. For example, in one episode a girl (stereotypically, the "nerdy" one) has the problem of never having kissed her boyfriend, and her friends are astonished to the point of pity for her. She spends that episode in search of her boyfriend so that she can reach that milestone. At least, however, once her boyfriend realizes what she's up to, he decides to take control so that the kiss can be meaningful, and not just any old kiss. Bottom line, wait until your kids are old enough to really start thinking about the opposite sex as attractive, and then talk to them--a lot!
Adult Written byrbrucecarter April 9, 2008

One of the BEST

Zoey 101 is perhaps the only television show that has ever portrayed outstanding students - those who are popular, make good grades, and have good behavior in a positive light. Usually, successful students are portrayed as "Mean Girls" and anti-heroic figures glorified. The optimism displayed here, the respect paid to what is obviously an exclusive private school, and the choices the kids make on their own - all imply parenting skills that have equipped the characters to excel in the environment. Parents are not present because it is a boarding school, but school staff are portrayed as caring, compassionate figures who are respected and worthy of respect. I have been on the set of the show, and seen first hand that they are careful to not offend people of faith - a casual expression of "geez" (slang for Jesus - taking the Lord's name in vain - was immediately stopped and will not air). Parents who are concerned that Jamie Spears is like her sister and a bad role model have nothing to fear. She is a polite, respectful, Christian young lady who was delightful to meet and well founded in her values by loving parents.
Parent of a 9, 13, and 17 year old Written byPie Mama July 27, 2010

A great show for the whole family!

I watch it and love it! The whole family can watch it, teen's will love it tween's will love it, and I love it!
Parent of a 17 year old Written bybabygirl86 November 9, 2009

Adult Written byKaylamaryb April 9, 2008

The Best show!

Zoey 101 is the best show ever and it is a really good show for teens! I have seen every episode and it gets better each time. It is full of love and friendships and a lot more!
Adult Written byCarly Steyer April 9, 2008

Adult Written byLowe's man May 24, 2015

Remember the backgrounds of the kids.

Regarding what you say about the characters being priveleged, we need to remember that that is the background of those kids at home. While we don't want to indulge kids too much while they're at school, we also don't want to make their school too much different from what they're used to at home, particularly at a boarding school. If we do, kids will get homesick and become maladjusted. Therefore, I am less concerned or disturbed about the privileged lives of these kids than I normally would be. You also pointed out that there's not much adult supervision. True, but the kids are well-behaved. While you could argue for more adult supervision, nevertheless the kids show that they can be trusted. We need to remember as well that this is a boarding school. At those places kids are on their own a good deal of the time. There are the standard messages about friendship, etc. What makes this one stand out is that the title character, despite her popularity, is nice to everyone she meets. (Maybe that's why she became popular in the first place.) On many shows, by contrast, the most popular kids tend to be stuck up. And, while they may or may not be at the top of their class, they usually do well in school and do not empathize with kids who struggle in school. Zoey does. Zoey and her friends are also willing and eager to show the boys that girls can do anything that boys can. Indeed, casual viewers would never know that this had been an all-boys school until Zoey's class started. Lastly, although classes are rarely shown, as most episodes take place in the after school hours, the few times we do see classes we get the idea that they're reasonably challenging, thereby discrediting the notion that life is easy there. The show is even made better by the terrific acting by Jamie Lynn Spears. She's even better than her older sister Britney (although Britney is good too).
Adult Written byLPSFan1994 April 4, 2014

Awesome blend of Comedy and Drama!

I really don't get what Common sense is talking about here. Zoey 101 centers around a previously all boys boarding school at a time when girls are finally allowed at the school. The show encourages teens to be independent rather than relying on mommy and daddy to be there all the time to fight your battles. However when they have an issue they can't handle themselves there are plenty of adults, teachers and staff, who will help them. Like when Logan set up that webcam spying on the girls dorm. They got Kazu to help expose him and get Logan to tell on himself to Dean Rivers. Not everyone is privileged, in fact the only one who is, is Logan and he is cut off in season 3 when he buys a $300,000 car, then he only gets $15,000 a month. The others all have to work for their money and save it. Chase even works at Sushi Rox to get money. They are no different than the average teen, they have teen problems like trouble in school, dating, but they have to be more responsible because they don't have mommy and daddy around all the time to bail them out, so its great for teaching kids how to manage being on their own. By the way Jamie Lynn Spears pregnancy had nothing to do with the show in fact she there were no signs that she was even pregnant during the production of it. And I don't know how Commonsense Media gets off saying this show has no educational content. In most of the episodes, children are being encouraged to do things like trying new things, standing up for what you believe in and NOT following the crowd, being kind, helping those around you and listening to others talk, even if you really don't care about what they are saying. Those are lessons kids nowadays should be hearing. Those are lessons that adults nowadays need to hear.
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

ok

unrealistic life children need a reality check after watching.
Parent Written bytreat02 April 17, 2012

What??????

I like this, don't get me wrong. The only thing is my six-year-old watched this and said "Mommy, I wanna have a boyfriend!" I was very confused about that. She told me about how Zoey 101 people had boyfriends. Also my six-year-old told my eleven-year-old that she was an idiot. I asked her where she heard that and she said "Zoey 101." And Logan is rich, my six-year-old (again) said that she wanted to be just like Logan. I told her Logan was no good and she said: "But he's rich!" I was done with Zoey 101 at that point. My eleven-year-old knows not to do stuff like that. I think eight is an appropriate age.
Educator Written bycaffinegirl85 October 19, 2011

not a bad show actually a pretty decent show !

pretty good show i have the 1st season and it gives you 13 eposides and Jaime Lynn Spears is really cute she resembles Brittany a bit so its a good show for kids tweens teens and hey even adults to watch and enjoy one thing that gets me is the character Dana she's sorta well sorta mean but its only a show but a nice one best age for kids to watch his would be 8 and up my 9 yr old cousin is very very mature so is my 8 yr old cousin so they can definitley watch this show!
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 24, 2009

great show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i luv this show! it is a real shme they stopped showing it on tv thou.
Parent of a 11 and 19 year old Written byrainydayqueen July 13, 2009

Mixed feelings

It's ok but i have mixed feelings about this show first of all Zoey is sweet and cute in the early episodes strong,respectful and a good friend but when the show nears the ending Zoey becomes rude and obsessed with her looks and her love life which then becomes obvious consumerism but Hannah Montana is a LOT better
Adult Written byThe JP Show June 20, 2009

Good Message, But some Iffy stuff

The show has some content that goes to TV-PG Like Chase beating up the police and implied nudity like when Micheal was showering and the horse came in. Overall it's TV-Y7 Content
Adult Written byeverythingisAOK April 9, 2008

Adult Written byThomson April 9, 2008

There needs to be more Zoey 101

Zoey 101 needs to be on more offtern, i watched the all sunday to sun down but after a while they were repeted :( needs to have more editions of it Zoey your the best !!
Adult Written bycrap April 9, 2008

THIS IS ZOEYTISTIC

THIS SHOW IS GOOD BUT AT THE SAME TIME HAS SOME ISSUES. I GAVE THE SEXUAL CONNET LEVEL AN IFFY BECAUSE THIS SHOW HAS A GUY NAMED LOGAN. AND HE SHOPS FOR GIRLS AS IF HE WAS SHOPPING FOR CANDY. THE SOCIAL BEHAVORS IS UP THERE IN THE FIRST SEASON THE GUYS BUT A CAMARA IN THE GIRLS LOUNGE TO SPY ON THAT AND THAT GOES TO FAR. THE LANGAGAE IS ONLY LIKE SHUT UP AND SUCK.
Adult Written bysteste140 April 9, 2008

i love this show

THis show is defintaly my favorite show. and has been since i was 7 im am 9 now and it is still my favorite show.
Adult Written byabbyj April 9, 2008