Parent reviews for DIY

Maker community celebrates skill building and creativity.

Parent of an infant year old Written byClassicEducationMama June 14, 2013

Best site for kids I've seen yet!

This is just an incredible site! Kids work on hands on projects to earn merit badges. In my community, kids ages 7-17 all enjoy working on individual projects through this very safe and secure site. Parents can log on and follow all of their child's activity on DIY. The merit badges are super unique and full of fun challenges varying from an Astronomer Badge (Make a Sundial or Build a Model Solar System) to a Medic Badge (Assemble a First-Aid Kit or Make a Stethoscope) to a Puppeteer Badge (Perform a Shadow Puppet Show or Make a Movie with Your Puppets)! New badges and challenges are developed all the time. I say 7 and up because I feel there is nothing inappropriate for that age group on the site. Parent involvement would probably be helpful for some of the challenges depending on the age of the child. (WEAPON ALERT: For parents concerned about violence there are a few badges that do include building various tools including a bow and arrow for the Pioneer Badge and building an air cannon (to shoot marshmallows) for the Rocketeer Badge.) These projects can be easily avoided if they are of any concern.

Positive messages
Adult Written byjessicaezra June 28, 2015

'Camp' and 'Counselor' are Misnomers for DIY camps

My son is doing one of DIY's camps, but the folks who run this place don't really do much, other than provide access to assignments that participants do independently. In this case, the camp subscription provides access to a Minecraft server populated by camp participants. Participants do not know the real names or ages of other members and are free to interact - positively and negatively - without guidance or oversight. The 'counselor' does not sign on to the server or participate in the activities. While particants must submit a video in which they pledge not to destroy each other's work, that is the extent of the digital agreement they make. Parents are not involved in or communicated with about any aspect of the kids' online activities. I'm sure there are activities that kids can and should be doing on their own - drawing, for example - but being part of an online social network without adult supervision probably isn't one of them.

Privacy & safety