Kid reviews for Google Hangouts

Chat, listen, and learn on Google's communication platform.

Kid, 12 years old May 27, 2019

Just Texting Really

Well, Google hangouts is just like texting really. You can text your friends and stuff like that. If your not comfortable with your kids using texting, or iMessage, you won't be comfortable with this. It's pretty much the same as texting, just with people only with Gmails. Really there's no age, it's just when you feel your ready to text. The only bummer though is that you can only direct message people with Gmail accounts.

Kid, 10 years old June 8, 2014

Cool

You can chat with friends and family. You can also video chat. Say your child's best friend moves away. They can get Gmail accounts and keep in touch easily.
Kid, 11 years old June 17, 2020

It's just texting :/

Tbh, why would you even add strangers on Hangouts? It's great for chatting with your friends though. You can voice/video call or just text. Normal stuff.
BUT. Since it's linked with Google+, welp... THERE GOES YOUR PRIVACY/SECURITY!!!!!! I mean, I don't really post anything or whatever so yeah.
Teen, 13 years old Written byseinoirfatpixel May 6, 2020

bruh

its only 8 and upp because i have no clue what a 5 year old would do with google hangouts.
Kid, 11 years old April 17, 2020
Kid, 11 years old April 17, 2020

A ok website

A nice way to communicate with your friends.
Kid, 11 years old April 13, 2020

Hmm...

I have been using Google Hangouts for years. It is LITERALLY the only app available for both, Apple and Android for my purposes. I have a cell phone, but my best friend is only allowed an i-Pod, therefore, she only has an email address--no phone number. I'm not sure if it's just because my friend has an i-pod, so it can't handle dealing with multiple things at a time, but if we try to turn the video on the sound starts breaking up and the picture gets pixelated, then frozen. We have to wait about half an hour, and then try again. We finally figured that the video was why calls stopped all the time, so don't waste your time trying that. We ARE able to do calls with no video, just talking. It is still an OK way to contact, but I would choose almost any other. People said that it's easy for people to hack, but I don't thinks so, and I truthfully know a lot about permissions, software, and hacking protection. I don't think this is easier to "hack" than any other app. Just use a good password, and don't just share your number with people or put it on your Facebook (etc..) account! Also, check the permissions, things the app wants to have access to and be careful when choosing. If you are a kid have a parent check the app (even though I'm sure you've heard this a million times). Good luck!
Kid, 11 years old April 5, 2020

Average

It's only about average. Normal chatting thing. Yes.
Kid, 11 years old December 12, 2019

Texting and Calling

You can text/call family or friends on this. My friend and I use this all the time to talk and call.

Kid, 11 years old October 23, 2019

Legendary

I love this app. I can communicate with my friends on my computer and it has chat AND VIDEO CALLS. You can do all that JUST bye making a gmail acc. and hooking it up.
Kid, 11 years old April 19, 2019

Great app with private chatting

People at my school have been using this to communicate since third grade, using a private school chat. if chats are private between kids, completely safe.
Teen, 14 years old Written byj138581 November 23, 2018

About Google Hangouts:

Google Hangouts has three basic platforms for communications; Instant Messaging, Calling, and Video Chats. You don't have to be a Google+ member to use the site (a thing which I hadn't even heard of until reading the reviews). All you need is a Gmail account, and someone to chat with. The only way someone can chat with you is if you send them a REQUEST to chat, or they send you a request. These requests can be accepted or denied. This acts a safeguard against talking to people who you don't know. To actually begin chatting with a person, you have to hit the accept button on their request. This is a great platform for talking to friends and family members who don't have a phone, or who live far away. The only thing I would make sure of is knowing the complete Gmail of the person you want to talk to. If you type the Gmail in wrong, you could start up a conversation with the wrong person.

Kid, 12 years old October 27, 2018

Texting, calling and FREE

This is a really good app. You can make a chat group and text family and friends!
Kid, 12 years old October 5, 2018

Great app for texting and calling!

This app is great. There are some things I would like to talk about though. Keep monitoring your child's texts. It is not like Snapchat where things disappear in 10 seconds. Secondly, this app does not censor ANYTHING. Not even explicit, suspicious links or inappropriate content. Your child needs to know that texting can be addicting and you should limit your child's phone time (or laptop time). People can easily hack in Hangouts and you should never request someone to be a friend that you don't know. Thanks for reading!
Kid, 12 years old September 22, 2018

Video, Voice Calls and Texting for free!

My only complaint is the lag and buffering in it, and the fact its a bit dated.

Kid, 11 years old August 12, 2018

It's Just Texting

I honestly don't see what is wrong with Google Hangouts. I've used it for a year to text my friends from school who don't have iPhones, and it's proven to be just that--texting, nothing else. I haven't gotten any random requests, but once I almost sent one because I just typed my friend's name and not her correct email. It's literally iMessages, only you can do it on a computer and you need a Gmail account. If you make sure you know your friend's email, it's a good app.
Kid, 12 years old August 1, 2017

Nice chatting app, just make sure to use a fake name for it.

This app is amazing. I could still talk to a friend who lived 16 miles away and we arranged game nights and we chatted. There's video, audio and text chatting using your gmail account. Just make sure you
A: Make a separate google account
B: Change your google name to something like "IamA_robotBeepBoop2005" or something random that nobody will search. This is because if you search a name it comes up with everyone with that name.

Kid, 12 years old April 23, 2017

Nothing Wrong With It

Think of hangouts as your cell phone with out all those cool games and stuff :)
All it does is allow you to FaceTime, call, and text people. Just it isn't called FaceTime and stuff. So make sure your kid knows basic cyber safety. Btw when you call people it gives you an unknown number so kids cannot get called by a stranger unless they called they. I would monitor it though but it isn't that big of a deal.

Kid, 12 years old February 22, 2017

Amazing and easy app as long as your child is aware of the dangers

Google Hangouts is an amazing, fun and simple messaging app that I use on a daily basis for chatting with friends. You can send pictures, stickers, emojis and drawings and you can call phones with cheap prices.

Although it is great, there are a few privacy concerns.
There is a built-in feature that lets your child send a location, or their current location on Google Maps to anyone in their contacts. Keep in mind that your child can add anyone to their contacts as long as they accept and have a Google Account.

Overall this is a terrific app that I would definently recommend as long as your child is aware of the dangers.

Kid, 12 years old July 28, 2016

Great!

I have been using this for a little under six months now, and I love it. I can stay in touch with all my friends, even ones that have moved away! I have been working on a project with 7 other people, and with google hangouts and google drive, we have been able to continue over the summer! P.S. random people can send hangouts requests, but you can easily block and decline them.