Parent reviews for Urban Dictionary

Words you won't find in Webster's are mostly mature.

Adult Written byCassandraRose October 7, 2010

Have you ever heard the term TMI? That's what this site is . . .

I have occasionally use this site when I wonder the *real message* behind popular songs. I wouldn't recommend this site for young teenagers. Although some may find it to be funny, almost every entry I've read is very vulgar. It could be a great education for parents, though, if they hear their teenagers mention a term that they don't recognize. Warning though, I have often discovered that I was better off not knowing the real meaning behind the words.

Adult Written byceciliabaker June 28, 2021

Urban Dictionary is a Misogynist's Paradise And A Platform for Violent AltRight Extremist Groups

This is not a dictionary at all. The entire English language can be defined in 2 million entries. There is ALOT less slang words. Peckham claims to have 7 million definitions. But they're not definitions at all, just stuff people have uploaded, completely unverified, sometimes just made up by the writer for the purpose of being uploaded to this site. No law court in it's right mind would use this stuff as a reference. Also, it doesn't even have the most current slang or definitions. The pandemic has been a banner event for neologisms and Urban Dictionary doesn't even have them. Unfortunately, your kids will be routed here from Google if they type in a slang word. Peckham's site will come up first, second or third in the ten I typed in. It's extremely misogynistic. Also, the site is racist as well, a Jewish organization has asked Peckham to remove Auschwitz definitions, a aborigine woman offensive characterizations of aborigines, I have asked him to remove extremely offensive degrading, misogynistic sex acts done to women like angry hitler and dirty sanchez, and he has ignored everyone. Because of it's association with the alt right extremist groups who commit mass murders, you will find weird definitions for things like a page long definition of feminist, which claims that they want to kill men and usurp mens rights, which espouses their doctrine for anti feminism. Finally, when I tried to leave a comment about Peckham's site after one of his interviews with a blogger my comment was deleted, and I has polite and argued with facts. He or the blogger suppress any comments that don't suit them. In addition, he is planning to add the feature that people will be able to upload videos acting out their definitions and call it Urban Dictionary TV. Given that so much of his content is misogynistic, your children may be subjected to some pretty graphic sexual images with women who are not consenting. Do not go here or let your children go here.

Adult Written byyeetus7839 February 8, 2021

bruh

Urban dictionary is litterally a dictionary for immature teens ad adults. It's a site full of s*x, drugs and drinking and even RACSIST people, yeah i recomend google dictionary instead of that burning trash

Adult Written byCam_and_Vyond September 12, 2021

NOOOOOOO

Too much NSFW content!!!

Adult Written byeeee1234 February 5, 2021
has way to many defintions of s*x, drugs and other innapropiate stuff, idont even THINK that you can call this an actual dictionary

Adult Written bylj_2088 January 26, 2021

It's great

Adult Written byledamonsterbunny July 26, 2019

Urban dictionary is not your typical youtube or facebook site

Urban dictionary... WHAT THE HELL are you even thinking?! It's a site full of sexual, drugs, and sexism. This site is bad for kids under 16. It should be for 18 or older. The website should have an age verification for 18+. Don't ever go on this site unless you aren't sensitive to those horrific definitions. Please use another source right now.

Adult Written bykcooney_2024 October 19, 2018

Great

Better than websters if you want to be hip, has all the slangs that kids are using nowadays.

Adult Written byRaghav D. May 24, 2017

Bad concept

Many words here are made to target (somtimes abuse ) certain community or group....

Adult Written byTheAnswer February 14, 2016

Gives misleading definitions

I typed "muslim" and I saw the worst idiotic definitions rated at the top. This website is crap and has no way to moderate and bann people who write offensive and untrue meanings. Disappointed with this website.

Adult Written byHeather R. November 13, 2011

Remember what "slang" really means...

Slang is, by definition, "the language of the rebel, the outlaw, the despised, the marginal, the young...the language of the city (Jonathon Green, _Cassell's Dictionary of Slang_)." So users shouldn't be surprised when using a site called Urban Dictionary that it mostly contains words that refer to sex, drugs, crime, violence, and other "inappropriate" behaviors. The key here is to teach kids about what these words are if/when the kids encounter them. Parents and educators should know about and use this site to their advantage--as a tool to learn what words are current among younger people, and as a teaching opportunity. Slang dictionaries are available in print, as well, and are equally as "offensive." Grab one off of your library's shelf and show a young person what it contains and *why* it contains what it does. Then, the curiosity is satisfied, and a dialogue has begun.
Parent of a 11 and 13-year-old Written bySokrr November 14, 2010

Stupid and innapropriate

Half of the definitions are about sex and drugs. 75% is made-up nonsense. Users post the most random things, and it is almost never appropriate.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byemmykaykay June 14, 2010
I dont think u should alow just anybody to go here = (
Adult Written byillini13 May 17, 2010

Useful tool, but visiter beware!

Ever been in a situation, either as a kid/teenager or as an adult and had a word come up on tv/in conversation/in a song that left you confused? And not just a word like majuscule that can be looked up in a dictionary, a word like "milf" or "newb" that has more or less been made up by popular society. Urbandictionary.com is basically the answer to that problem, which can be good and bad.

Really this site is best for high school students, college students, and adults. There is a lot of content involving sex, drugs, and alcohol on this site, and for once I think Common Sense has underestimated. There is a word of the day posted on the home page of the site, which may or may not be tame. Also the definitions are free for people to type out, and these often include bias and personal opinion (such as the entries for Miley Cyrus or George W Bush). Still, the site is not inherently bad, and pretty darn useful. The content is just such that I wouldn't recommend usage for anyone who still doesn't know where babies come from.

Educational Value