Parent reviews for Urban Dictionary

Words you won't find in Webster's are mostly mature.

Adult Written byJonathanLee5595 August 12, 2018

Crazy Inappropiate Words, Only Publish Slang Words but not Educational and Funny Ones, Editors Reject Almost Every Definitions Except Gross Ones, Load of F-words

What is Urban Dictionary? a useless community dictionary that has SO MANY SEXUAL DEFINITONS, There are more than 700 definitions of sex!!! But, there are few educational vocabs, also the editors of the dictionary reject to upload useful and humorous definitions but rather gross ones. Almost every pages I checked has TONS of F-words and profanities, IF YOU NEED A GOOD DICTIONARY, Don't bother choosing this one
Update 800+ definitions of the word sex

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byRagzi September 10, 2010

Funny but inappropriate

Most entries involve sex, drugs or curse words. The definitions can be funny for older teens and adults but are very inappropriate for children.

Adult Written byCassandraRose October 7, 2010

Have you ever heard the term TMI? That's what this site is . . .

I have occasionally use this site when I wonder the *real message* behind popular songs. I wouldn't recommend this site for young teenagers. Although some may find it to be funny, almost every entry I've read is very vulgar. It could be a great education for parents, though, if they hear their teenagers mention a term that they don't recognize. Warning though, I have often discovered that I was better off not knowing the real meaning behind the words.

Adult Written byCarsonD979 November 1, 2019

A really creative and funny site but goes to far with profanity.

It can be funny but it has the words f*ck, sh*t, sex cheese and more.

Adult Written byledamonsterbunny July 26, 2019

Urban dictionary is not your typical youtube or facebook site

Urban dictionary... WHAT THE HELL are you even thinking?! It's a site full of sexual, drugs, and sexism. This site is bad for kids under 16. It should be for 18 or older. The website should have an age verification for 18+. Don't ever go on this site unless you aren't sensitive to those horrific definitions. Please use another source right now.

Adult Written byBoi69123 December 30, 2018

Garbage

This website is decent on PC but mobile it is complete and utter trash. Every single time I visit their site on a mobile device it is redirected to some scam. This is unbelievable and I hope they change this. Absolutely unacceptable I am so disgusted with there practices
Adult Written bykcooney_2024 October 19, 2018

Great

Better than websters if you want to be hip, has all the slangs that kids are using nowadays.

Adult Written byRaghav D. May 24, 2017

Bad concept

Many words here are made to target (somtimes abuse ) certain community or group....

Adult Written byTheAnswer February 14, 2016

Gives misleading definitions

I typed "muslim" and I saw the worst idiotic definitions rated at the top. This website is crap and has no way to moderate and bann people who write offensive and untrue meanings. Disappointed with this website.

Adult Written byHeather R. November 13, 2011

Remember what "slang" really means...

Slang is, by definition, "the language of the rebel, the outlaw, the despised, the marginal, the young...the language of the city (Jonathon Green, _Cassell's Dictionary of Slang_)." So users shouldn't be surprised when using a site called Urban Dictionary that it mostly contains words that refer to sex, drugs, crime, violence, and other "inappropriate" behaviors. The key here is to teach kids about what these words are if/when the kids encounter them. Parents and educators should know about and use this site to their advantage--as a tool to learn what words are current among younger people, and as a teaching opportunity. Slang dictionaries are available in print, as well, and are equally as "offensive." Grab one off of your library's shelf and show a young person what it contains and *why* it contains what it does. Then, the curiosity is satisfied, and a dialogue has begun.
Parent of a 11 and 13-year-old Written bySokrr November 14, 2010

Stupid and innapropriate

Half of the definitions are about sex and drugs. 75% is made-up nonsense. Users post the most random things, and it is almost never appropriate.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byemmykaykay June 14, 2010
I dont think u should alow just anybody to go here = (
Adult Written byillini13 May 17, 2010

Useful tool, but visiter beware!

Ever been in a situation, either as a kid/teenager or as an adult and had a word come up on tv/in conversation/in a song that left you confused? And not just a word like majuscule that can be looked up in a dictionary, a word like "milf" or "newb" that has more or less been made up by popular society. Urbandictionary.com is basically the answer to that problem, which can be good and bad.

Really this site is best for high school students, college students, and adults. There is a lot of content involving sex, drugs, and alcohol on this site, and for once I think Common Sense has underestimated. There is a word of the day posted on the home page of the site, which may or may not be tame. Also the definitions are free for people to type out, and these often include bias and personal opinion (such as the entries for Miley Cyrus or George W Bush). Still, the site is not inherently bad, and pretty darn useful. The content is just such that I wouldn't recommend usage for anyone who still doesn't know where babies come from.

Educational Value