Parent reviews for XtraMath

Free but bland way for kids to master math basics.

Adult Written byrichardm1 November 26, 2014

Making Children Hate Math!

Adult Written byFiona R. November 7, 2016

Boring

I'd tell you Xtra math is the most boring think in the UNIVERSE

All you do is press random numbers with this guy who looks creepy:(
Adult Written bycispee September 10, 2015

Stressful and useless

Xtra math doesn't give kids enough time to carefully type in the answers. It manages to be boring and stressful at the same time. It's simply bad. If you have ever read the Origami Yoda books - it is a lot like "FunTime".
Parent of a 9-year-old Written bymarytexas1 September 9, 2016

Speed drills do not determine mastery

Our school has encouraged children to use XtraMath as a part of learning math facts.
1. Each drill allows the student 3 seconds (yes only 3 seconds) to answer the question. Reading, Recall, and Typing (correctly) typically takes longer. Unless your child is a master typist this is an unrealistic time frame.
2. Mastery for this program is determined by beating the timer and giving the correct response. You do not get credit for answering correctly if it takes longer than 3 seconds.
3. You cannot turn off the timer. You can shrink the "race the teacher" icon down but this does not turn off the timer.
4. As an adult I have experimented with this program and it is extremely easy to mistype the answer (I am proficient in 10 key).
5. Parents please do not confuse rote memorization with understanding mathematical concepts. A child may have memorized an answer and have no understanding of how or why it is correct.
6. Mastery can never be defined by "racing the teacher."
Adult Written bybobydimi September 20, 2015

Program that makes kids hate math

I am a mathematics professor, I understand mathematics. Math should make people think, not disturbing kids and moving them back levels when they get something wrong. This system is producing "robots" not thinking people. Passing 10 times through this program and getting a grade for that is enough, not making them do it 100 times which causes them to hate school and math. Xtra Math for any student, as it is now, Must be forbidden! I personally don't want my kid doing Xtra Math.

Parent Written byAnna B. December 30, 2014

Start Math Anxiety Early!

After a month of this, my 6 yr old child developed terrible anxiety of math addition problems. The pace is too fast, and doesn't take into account that children have poor typing skills and the number pad on a laptop doesn't order the numbers in a logically way to a child. My child spent so much time hunting and pecking for the numbers that she got most wrong, even addition problems that she knew. I am disappointed that our school district assigned this to our students without researching it first. What a way to turn a child off to learning. I am hoping to undo the damage by going back to learning the old fashioned way.
Adult Written byvaishnavd June 1, 2020

xtramath sucks

my 10-year-old was crying because I asked him to do Xtramath, so I tried it, and it is very rigged, because it forces you to do good, or you have to do it again. I would recommend nobody should ever use it.

Adult Written bySheri P. January 26, 2017

Worst thing ever.

This program is horrible. It causes nothing be added stress for my 2nd grader and has been that way since she started doing XtraMath in 1st grade. Her scores in the program haven't improved, yet she's testing higher than 2nd grade in her test scores elsewhere and does worksheets no problem. I'm trying to get it removed from her school as this is a common complaint among other parents as well.
Adult Written byXtraMath_Sucks May 25, 2019

Don't Even Think About It!

Way Too Fast!
It only gives you three seconds for you to answer a random question!

Oops! Typing Error!
If you accidentally press the wrong number, then it automatically says you are wrong! Boooooo! If you use the keypad, it hurts your finger & it will make you too slow! Just frustrating unless you are the king of typing...

Terrible Reviews!
Look at this website and read all the reviews: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/website-reviews/xtramath/user-reviews
Here is one I really agree with:
“Making Children Hate Math!
I have an after school tutoring program. Just recently we have encountered xtramath, as it is being prescribed as "homework" for many of our students. We do a LOT of timing here, it is an important part of the way we teach. So I had high hopes for this program. However, xtramath sucks the life out of learning. The reviews by young users on this site are correct. Even posing as "second graders" we had trouble passing simple levels. The interface is problematic, and can lead to errors, there is very little reinforcement, and the program is boring in the extreme. It is all too easy to make a keystroke mistake, and that results in a lot of repetition. This program might have some good ideas, but the execution is making the children we know hate math. Avoid this program and ask your school to discontinue its use for "homework" if you don't want to make your child hate math.”
Also, this website says that Xtramath is 2 stars! I do personally do not use websites that ratings are under 4 stars. I will continue using the Mad Minute Sheet I have for practice. The reason I typed this is because I don’t want other kids using frustrating website.

Wrong Forever
Let’s say you type some answer and it says you are wrong which is normal. Then, you get it right maybe 100 times. It still says you are wrong!

Weird Mr. C
The guy who “teaches” you is just odd. He always does “Race the Teacher” and it’s no fun. He is always unsupportive. He doesn’t let you retry the problem if it is incorrect! Nor does he explain the problem!

Bye Bye
These are 5 reasons why we shouldn’t do Xtramath.
Hope you agree we me and never use Xtramath. DON"T WASTE YOU TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byelainef1 September 6, 2015

Don't bother

I have talked with many parents and can't fi nd anyone's child who likes this app. My child crys every time she has to use it, I ask myself is this what education has turned Into ? The ONLY reason we use it bc the teachers requires participation. What's wrong with the app ? 1. The key pad, 2. The three second s to answer a question. 4. BORING. 5. The Smiley face vs an x, it's too small. 6. Does not show a numerical percent of right answers. 7. No positive feedback. 8. Difficult to change Into parent mode to check progress. Basically don't waste your time and upset your child !!
Adult Written byhodgevistapumpk... October 17, 2019

Horrible

Not good please teachers dont use this chunck of dirt please for your students psychological health
Adult Written byDesign39student March 27, 2019

It killes kids love for math

Adult Written byDogPlays February 11, 2019

Xtramath is Horrible

I think xtramath is horrible it rushes you it doesn’t even enough time to think about the answer
Adult Written by123AnonymousKid321 February 5, 2019

The worst “educational game” on the face of the Earth.

In my experience, XtraMath is a so-called “educational” game which induces stress and anxiety. The “teacher” makes this face when you get one wrong and stares at you like you’re a failure. It may help your kids get more fluent in math, but at the cost of their sanity. Do not make your kids or students do this. It will make them hate math.
Parent of a 8-year-old Written bySarah F. December 14, 2016

rates a childs computer skills before their math skills

My 8 year old struggles with this because even though he knows the answers he might not be able to find the keys fast enough or sometimes in technology there is a "fail" when he hits a key that i think is based inside the actual program. If your finger swipes the wrong key, it throws you back into the question again and again. Also , the character on the side does not make gestures that are at all encouraging, even when you are right, half the time he is shrugging is shoulders or holding his chin. Its a terrible program for kids that creates anxiety and makes kids unsure of their actual abilities. We wish our school would drop it. We had used the IXL program at another school and even though it had its own problems was much better than xtramath.
Adult Written byj.albin October 18, 2020

Anxiety and tears over math EVERY TIME.

My six year old loves math, and is consistently ahead of math curriculum expectations in his understanding. But he HATES Xtramath. Since he's required to do it for school, I make him do it, but he is incredibly frustrated that he cannot progress beyond what he already knows because of an inability to type in the correct answer within the timeframe. We've resorted to having him call out the answer and I type it, and one typo or a lag in the website causing a missed answer holds him back. We can't get past basic addition even though he can do complex addition and subtraction, and simple multiplication and division in his head.

Tears and anxiety, and hating math, every time. This may be beneficial for some kids, but it's awful for my kid.
Adult Written byJennifer S. February 12, 2020

For those who want to pull out all of their hair...

My son has been subjected to XtraMath for 2 years now and he finally refused to do it. When I investigated further, I found out that it is more about stressing out your student than actually teaching them in a meaningful or encouraging way. I dislike the no grace factor i.e. even if they get so many right in a row, the next wrong answer puts them back to zero. This is incredibly demoralizing as well as discouraging. There has to be a better way to do math drills that gives them practice AND encouragement, not to mention be more fun. Math should be fun! When I tried it myself, I found it incredibly boring and mind numbing. Don't bother with this program!
Adult Written byCaticalDweeb September 28, 2018

Absolutely Revolting

This game is terrible, I thought it would be one of those things you don't want to do because it's math, but you learn a lot from it. I was so wrong. It's stressful, no child should be expected to solve a question in under three seconds to get a good rating on that question. The only good thing about it is the relief you feel when it's over.
Adult Written byXtramathisbad March 4, 2019

DOOODOOO

IT IS TRASH IT IS TO EAZY TO EXPLOIT AND IT IS SO ANYOING very very scary i hope it gets banned of the internet so i can live a peaceful xtramath free life.

Adult Written byXtramath Sucks April 20, 2016

horrible

i absolutely despise this website and i think it is a horrible way for a child to practice math facts i think this because it is extremely bland and undoubtudly boring and dull i recomend Reflex Math a game type exellent way for a child who doest like math to get a kick out of it it is a great website because of its game type and proggress track. please consider using this website. THX! (: