Parent reviews for Clash of Clans

Multiplayer mode enlivens freemium combat strategy game.

Parent of an infant year old Written byMamaKatRN May 21, 2014

Interaction with Clan - Beware

This game is great fun. I play it. However a large part of the game is joining a clan. This review is inaccurate in stating that there is only a global chat. Players are also able to chat and interact with members of their clan. I try to make sure that the clan I am in is only for adults, but often I see children ages 8-12 join these clans. It can be harmless, but parents do not know who their children are interacting with, or even what type of content their children are being exposed to by playing a game with other adults who are strangers. I would just make sure you know that your children are playing this game and that there is the potential for chatting with adults in a clan group chat.

Parent of a 10 year old Written bymrh73 August 19, 2014

It's all about what clan you join!

First off, this is an excellent game that both kids and adults will enjoy - a great father-son diversion, but it can become somewhat addictive. You may soon find yourself adding new accounts to other devices (e.g. your wife's phone). If you refrain from spending real money on it (which I have), it's also a lesson in careful planning and patience, as well as basic arithmetic. Clan vs Clan Wars promote teamwork, communication, and philanthropy. The minimal violence isn't any worse than what kids see in cartoons or Skylanders games. The only possible objectionable content is the open chat. There are two kinds of chat that you can toggle between: Global and Clan. You can report foul language in the Global chat and get people temporarily booted from the servers, but there's no reporting function when chatting within your own clan. This makes the clan your child is in the real deciding factor in whether or not they should be playing the game. Fortunately, lots of clans have filled this need and you'll find plenty of "clean" clans full of fathers and sons, clans which advertise "No cursing allowed" (and offenders are quickly given the boot), clans of school chums, etc... If your kid joins up with a clan of college-age gamers, though, look out! Keep an eye on the chat thread in your child's clan (there's a buffer of the last 100 messages) until you're satisfied the members don't curse like sailors, and this game will provide many hours of enjoyment for you both.

Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bycmpjlp241 August 28, 2014

Parents BEWARE - Can be used for secret texting!!

Please be careful with this one! This app allows kids to set up a private chat room to talk with their friends or just one friend...and no one is monitoring what is said. Some kids are using this feature to have conversations without their parents knowing.

Adult Written by007SPY January 24, 2015

Do Not Let Kids Play This Game

This Game Has People On Global Chat Talking About Sex And Violence Also Swearing At Younger Children. do Not Let Your Kid Play This Game

Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bySraedi February 9, 2015
Point of interest: It includes live chat with other players who are often random unknown entities. For this reason, I am not comfortable with my kids using it.

Adult Written byshh001 October 18, 2015

Unsafe online community

Violent by design, although not graphically so. If your child joins a clan not designated as invitation only, anyone can join and post any message they wish. We experienced predatory sexual behavior and have outlawed this game in our house.
Adult Written byJoshB 1 December 14, 2014

Not a true strategy game, a amusing fad but don't invest into it

To call it a strategy game is a embarrassment to the genre. The A.I. is so bad in this game I have no idea how they are making so much money. I have seen a wizard attack a building further away than one closest to it then stop a few attacks in and attack the building closest to it despite not throwing down bombers. Seen normal troops (Barb,Arch, Wiz) walk past buildings to attack one further away and behind a wall. Dragons are the dumbest troops I have ever seen, genre wise if they went after gold first I could handle it, but their AI is so random and there is no pattern, ryhme, or reason for what they do. Its impossible to effectively use them in terms of tactics and strategy. Your option is to watch a retarded lizard commit suicide or its so over powered in the situation that it wins by default. Troops continue to attack walks when there is nothing left behind that wall or even better when their is a hole in the wall next to them. Its the tip of the ice berg, I don't think I can name every single problem with a 5k character limit and some of these are huge almost game breaking. My bottom line for the A.I. is regardless of the money made, and the money being made really just makes it more embarrassing cause they have that resource to use, the programmers for this game should be shutter in humiliation at their failure everytime they see something about COC. This is the most important part of this review too, I am not upset so much that the A.I. is horrid or that the game can be unplayable at times because of it, I am furious at the amount of money these people are getting and I have yet to see a legitimate update correcting major flaws to this date. Their updates consist of temperary cosmetic BS or a new layout/graphics addition and everyone once in awhile they will bump things up a level for max level players. Crooks are what they are and It disgusts me. I play with family and friends and it can be fun but at the end of the day this isn't a game, it sure as heck isn't a strategy game, its a fad and I hope it dies out soon. If you have not played, don't bother. Me, I am done until I see a legit update!

Adult Written byRedFoXSiX2015 January 8, 2015

Worried MOm

They should be 17 and older to use the chat options because my 9 year old daughter formed a rationship with a another kid who was older and he asked for her pick and she gave it threw Facebook . she is to young for that behavior. So mabe be aware of who they are chatting with on game apps or sites.

Adult Written byDavid C November 25, 2014

Inappropriate screen names

I have alerted Apple and the developer Supercell that there are many inappropriate screen names. Apple gave me three movie rentals hoping I would go away. Supercell has done nothing that I am aware of. Essentially, they allow very slight misspellings of lewd phrases that I don't think any parent wants their children reading. When alerted, they take no action.
Parent of a 3, 6, 8, and 8 year old Written byFowlerFan April 17, 2015

Must be monitored

Like most games, this is a game that must be monitored when your kids are into it. I saw a clan that my son was in had one guy who swore a lot, so I took him out of that clan. I ended up getting the game myself. I've setup a clan of my own, and he joins that - as can all of his friends. That way, I can see the chat. It's a decent enough game, if monitored.

Adult Written bymrspalatine August 31, 2015

Not a safe environment for kids

I let my son (aged 11) play this game - lots of his friends play it, and I know their parents are sensible so I was happy to go along with it. He really enjoyed it. I was really shocked when my son came to tell me that a fellow player had said he "wanted to kill him and his whole family" in the clan chat room. My son was really upset. The language the players were using was unbelievable - full on swearing and threatening language - if this is how they are behaving on the internet you are just breeding a new generation of trolls. I tried to report the abuse but there is no facility to report abusive language in the clan chat rooms. I think this is unbelievable in a game widely played by kids and in my opinion marketed to kids too. I guess this was a learning experience for both me and my son and I have deleted the game. If you want to let your kids play this you would have to be really involved in what they are doing.

Adult Written byOptics November 27, 2015

I am concerned about children playing this game.

I am an adult gamer. I have played this game for the last eight monthes. My concern lies with the global chat ability. It is common place to see children every few minutes, in the global chat trying to "hook up", or find a boyfriend/girlfriend. They then exchange kik information and go on there to communicate. Everyone seems to think it's not their child doing this, however, if I am witnessing this several hundred times a day, it is your child. Following this concern, in the last two weeks, there has also been an escalation of people discussing joining Isis, and planning how to do so. I find there is absolutely no monitoring of the global chat, and this poses a direct threat to your child, and any adults that may be lost as well. I am concerned, and feel that no one is listening to these concerns.

Adult Written bySupercell January 16, 2015

The Game in the description IS RATED 13+

This Is Not For EDUCATION. This Title Is Rated 13+ In The App Markets Due To A Global And Clan Chat Board. IN-APP PURCHASES GO UP TO $99.99 If Your Child Is Under 13 He/She May Not Play

Adult Written byxpatiate October 20, 2014

Good opportunity for supervised learning about internet etiquette

I don't play this game myself but my 8-year-old son and his dad spend many hours engrossed in it. You definitely need to be aware of the chat function within a clan and be sure that the clan you're in is appropriate for their age, but what we've found is that this is a great way for kids to get some experience in the dos and don'ts of communicating with others on the internet. Our rule is that my son has to stay in the same clan as his dad, so we have the ability to track what's going on and who he's talking to. This has provided us with a great chance to have some very important conversations with him about communicating with people online, and how manners are just as important in this type of environment as face to face! It's probably not right for every 8-year-old, as it's often not possible to supervise the chat 100% of the time - but it is a great opportunity to start having those conversations and allow them to stretch their boundaries a little.
Adult Written byAl L. September 12, 2017

Amazing. 4+

This game is very fun, and it is not at all 13 plus! The gameplay isn't too difficult, and just turn the "filter clan chat" button on and you're good to go.

Adult Written byjosiaht April 23, 2015
I have been playing for 1 and a half years through last years of high school and have put out exceptional grades. The game is progressive and the whole aim is to upgrade your town and unlock/upgrade different troops to have a higher standing in the clash of clans ranks. Trophies are offered when you defeat an enemies base or your base wins a defence which then places you in different leagues depending on trophy level. As you progress through the game it becomes more complex and different strategies have to be devised in order to progress. Eventually you can join/create a clan where you can share tactics, trade troops, chat and even war against other clans. Clans pose a great opportunity for kids to learn to function together as a team and learn about social order and responsibility with clan elders and co leaders alongside the leader them-self. It can be very addicting and if not careful one can spend increased amounts of time playing without realising, a good factor in the game to combat this is the time it takes to train troops for battle, ranging from 20sec to 45 minutes a full army can take anywhere from 10 minutes, to several hours to train giving reason to pause and stop playing. I think it is a great app to develop forward and strategical thinking but can become a huge time consumer if not monitored. And 75% of players are actually over 20 (http://www.newzoo.com/insights/supercell-vs-king-how-do-their-gamers-com...) So I personally think this is a great game and I enjoy the interaction with the people in my clan who range from 16y.o to 65y.o from all corners of the globe :)

Adult Written byminmin June 5, 2015

Great

Just careful with global chat and clans, otherwise safe

Parent Written byAmanda T. October 23, 2017

Steer Clear - Addictive therefore not appropriate for kids who don't earn their own money.

As the MOTHER of a player Supercell gets 0 stars. After having made unauthorised payments, can I get hold of Supercell? No, of course not. NOT a responsible company at all, allows underage children to set up accounts without parents knowledge - no checks at all and they can spend away - after all, money means nothing to a 12yr old as they have no idea how long and hard you have to work to earn the damn stuff. How about you respond to my emails without sending me in circles all the time Supercell. BEWARE other parents.

Adult Written byCupcakesRock February 24, 2016

I WOULD GIVE THIS 0 STARS IF I COULD

This is one of the dumbest games I have ever seen my kids play. They all played it when it came out, then BOOM BEACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boom beach is soooo much better then this dumb game. I have heard some of my kid's friends say that boom beach is a copy of clash, but they are made from the same company! My kid's friends are way too addictive in Clash Of Clans, and I have heard their parents say that they can not get their kids off of the tablet! When boom beach came out, all of my kids went over to it, deleting clash of clans. Their friends stayed in clash of clans though. They call it "copycat boom beach". IT IS THE SAME CONCEPT PEOPLE! Its not a copy!!!!!!!!!!!!!Do not let your kids play it or else they will either give away personal information, or stay on whatever device they are playing it on for HOURS!

Parent of a 12 year old Written bytintinruaza July 24, 2015

Oh come on, I'm so addicted.

I love this game! I'm so addicted to it! There's a group chat, you get to attack clans, and everything! My 12-year-old kid, however, strongly opposes this and recommends that no one should ever play this game. I tried to tell her that it's the best game ever known in the App Store, but she still refused to play it.