Parent reviews for Episode -- Choose Your Story

Mature themes, purchases in stories teens read and create.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byLisa A. September 28, 2017

Complete garbage

For this kind of game to be rated as young as 13 given the type of inappropriate material it represents, is unacceptable. When you go to watch an R-rated film, you must be at least 18, so what makes these people think that it's okay to create a game that consists of "adult" choices like getting "pregnant", a serious like decision, and decide that the context is fit for a young adult as young as 13, how? Yes it's my job to protect my kids, especially my 13-year old daughter from stuff like this, but why put it out there for them to see? The material in this type of game is definitely not appropriate for a 13 year old. And don't even get me started on the whole, "you should watch your kids better" type of deal. I served my country as a single mother in military with honorables! You better believe I'm watching you and I've worked in top security. I can't believe that you've gotten THIS far with getting a 13 rating. You disgust me, and since people don't have the backbone to to take action anymore or even question anything anymore, I am.

Adult Written byrebma97 July 29, 2016

Great concept yet superficial

Episodes has an excellent premise but falls short on storylines. The stories are soap opera-ish and some aspects are pretty superficial (some games encourage you to dress fashionably to help you advance to the story) and it would be nice if most of the stories didn't revolve around romance. Also, I hate how much stuff you have to buy to do more things in the game, and the ads are super annoying. I do love the concept of allowing the player to make their own choices, so that's cool. Violence: Some stories contain violent aspects and characters can fight sometimes (they'll punch each other if they do, though there's no blood). Sex: Most stories revolve around romance. There's innuendo and references to having sex. A few games have your character engaging in sex (the actual act isn't shown but your character is naked, with just two black lines covering their sensitive parts along with their partner). Language: The occasional "h*ll", "d*mn", "a*s", etc. are used. Some games contain strong language like "s-t" or "f-k". Consumerism: You have to sit through three ads before you can play one episode. Also, you need passes to play each episode, and you usually start off with only 3. When you run out, you are encouraged to buy more (or you have to wait 2-3 hours for 3 more). Gems are another thing you can purchase. They're not needed to play the games but there are some things you can only do with gems (like buying outfits and certain choices you can make in the game). Drinking/drugs/smoking: Characters sometimes drink (and occasionally get drunk) and smoke cigarettes.

Adult Written byCam B. August 22, 2017

Problematic

As a former member of the episode community, I will advise you not to let your children to use this app. Not only they have extremely expensive gem choices but most of the user stories in there don't seem to be regulated. There's tons of underage sex, underage pregnancy, romanticising of rape and other forms of abuse. In top of that all, the Episode staff doesn't seem to care about their consumers, seeing as when some users made some threads on their forums about these issues they simply ignored them, and even got to delete some threads created to spread awareness on the topic. In case you want to read what the people on the community are trying to get across, Here are some links to the threads on question: On a specific story Episode refuses to take down even though it breaks their guidelines: http://forums.episodeinteractive.com/forum/main-category/general-chat/13... On the issue of rape and abuse: http://forums.episodeinteractive.com/forum/main-category/general-chat/13... On statutory rape: http://forums.episodeinteractive.com/forum/main-category/general-chat/13...

Parent of a 5, 10, and 15 year old Written byGina D March 9, 2017

Great!

Good stories. Your kids will love!

Parent Written byAnna B. November 28, 2017

not recommended for kids under 16

I went on this app the other day. it was on my daughter's phone. She is 12. There were kids smoking cigerettes and this one main character kept trying to "hook" up with all the "hot" chicks at school. In one scene he says: he went to his best friends house and banged his sister all night long. He taught her all he knew. He thinks his friend would be upset with him--but he didn't care. She wanted it--and wanted him. So it was all worth it. After viewing other scenes, this same character "bad boy" was trying to hook up with other girls on the episode . In one scene a girl wanted help finding her sister who she was babysitting and ran outside her home. HE was in the street, down the block from her. He said he would help her--only if she gave him a favor and provided some pleasurable favors for him to help her. She declined (because i chose this option). If I chose the other option, i am certain they would be doing something inappriate. I am postin this so parents are all AWARE of this app. it is not recommended for kids under 16 or 15. One parent of a 10 year old...said it was a great app. Please look into it again. It is not appropriate for girls or boys at that age.

Adult Written byHeidi D. July 9, 2017

Episode -- Pay Up Or Have No Choices

I was pretty hopeful upon downloading this app. It seems like a fun premise and I happen to really enjoy text based rpgs, so I thought this could be a lot of fun. And it was at first. It's a great concept, honestly, and would be a great game for someone with money lying around. The biggest issue with this is the gems system. Every fun or exciting decision available is only ever unlocked by gems, and gems are not easy to earn! They don't start you out with a bunch of gems, and you only get one for every chapter of certain stories, yet so many "choices" within every chapter cost 30 gems!! And not only that, but, inevitably, when you select the choice that doesn't require gems (because you don't have any and can't afford to buy them) the characters of the game make awful comments about the choice that you had no control over. We play games like this to get away from real life, where we can rarely afford to make the choices that we really want, not to be mocked by a merciless pay-to-play system that inevitably drives the majority of players away. If the gem system was fixed, either making them very easy to aquire or lowering the cost of important choices to 1 gem, or both, I would give this game at least 4 stars, but as it is, I wish there were a negative-star option.

Adult Written byTi-Anna F. August 8, 2016

Okay storyline

So I decided to try this interactive app before I recommend it for my niece. The first thing I noticed was the cost of things and the lack of opportunity to earn anything to pay these cost. As a gamer you usually get the opportunity to earn game currency. Secondly, the story line is going to do what it wants you to do to keep the drama going. I'm not a drama filled individual so some of the things that happened I would never do. If people want to be boring and honest then they should have the choice. I get that choice with my SIM and I find those games extremely fun. Last but not least, the ads took up more and more time toward the end of the game. It started to get a little annoying. Keep ad times consistent.

Adult Written byEveAngeline D. May 30, 2017

The game should be called "Try to Stop Your Character From Making Terrible Mistakes and Fail".

The game glorifies petty teen drama. Your character is prompted to be unkind, and is rewarded (things go better) when she is mean. You don't have a lot of control in the game. While you can choose the outfit your character will make bad decisions in, you cannot usually keep her from making those terrible choices. This makes the game frustrating. The game really wants you to spend money, so "good" choices cost you. The game is a fine time killer and is a fine idea, but it is limited and, in my opinion, promotes unkindness and pettiness. It also is heavy handed with romance and sexuality.

Adult Written byMirage December 1, 2017

This app isn't really that bad...

I see a lot of negative reviews, but I have been playing this game for a while and I honestly have to disagree with the 18+ ratings. Most of the stories only have kissing and the animation isn't really that realistic. There are some stories that have nudity, censored nudity, and/or strong language. A helpful way to avoid these stories is to avoid the romance section and a lot of the user created stories section, but there is also a warning given by Episode to every story that has "mature themes and strong language." Another tip I have is to avoid stories with titles or descriptions with the words pregnant, sex, baby daddy, and innuendos. Other than that, this is just a fun little game that doesn't do a lot of harm! This app is good for kids 12 and up who like graphic novels or choose your own adventure stories. Lastly, the ads for this game are taken from thumbnails of stories. No stories actually use any dialogue from the ads.

Adult Written byJanie W. December 3, 2017

Fun and interactive

THIS GAME IS AMAZING my 10 year old loves it and there's ratings on it so ones that are marked M kiddies can't use even I love it And I'm 32

Parent Written bycynthia s. December 31, 2017

Beware of this app

What seemed like a creative app for my daughter turned into a highly inappropriate adventure in sex, alcohol and even drugs. Terrible app. Definitely not for anyone under 18. No good messages here. Just trash.

Adult Written byChelsea f. October 7, 2017

Age

This is good for adults . It is not suitable for young children or impressionable teenagers. The game includes, a lot of sexual nature & the game also sometimes allows a man to hit woman first depending on the story line.one episode were the character decides weather she should carry on with the pregnancy in storyline ", I mean that's for adults but young teenagers girls playing this game more guy think it's just split easy decision. Wen we adults no it's not. It's ok for adults to play reality drama as it's suitable for an adult to play. I only found this game because my little sister age 9 introduced me to it and I thought looking at it , it was kids aimed game, but the more I read into stories more smoking and swearing came into it it's more for those aged 18 and over

Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byAndrea J. April 5, 2018

NOT FOR EARLY TEENS

Adult Written byTrinity I. March 12, 2018

Aunt Written byRachelyn Y. April 10, 2018

loving aunt

I love my family so much and my perents keeps telling me that I am there tresure and even when they found the rerest thing in the world no one can defeat me being the rerest of them all

Adult Written byBlue M. January 2, 2018

Money

Although the app is free to download and some of the stories don't require money to be spent, a LOT of the stories especially the featured ones with the E in the corner make it so that you only have two options, but the better options have a paywall that requires 18-25 "Diamonds" which are used as basically in-game currency bought through micro transactions. To get these Diamonds you have to spend money each time you want a bundle. It starts as low as $.99 to get 10 diamonds, but this bundle is also the last option which often misleads consumers in thinking the $1.99 is the cheapest which gives 22 diamonds with the sale although normally 20 diamonds. It then costs more money to buy bigger bundles going up to $99.99 to get 1500 diamonds. Basically the app has you buy inexpensive bundles multiple times which adds up quickly or spend a ton of money once to get a few more diamonds. Most of the stories also have mature themes in them including gangs, parties, drugs, gun violence, illegal relations (student-teacher), and more. While all of these stories are tagged with a mature rating, children are still able to read them with no problem. The worst stories are definitely the promotional ones like Pitch Perfect and Mean Girls as they pretty much force you to use 25 diamonds for EVERY option or choose the bad/not so good option which will make children disappointed when they have to choose it because they don't have enough diamonds. "Choose Your Story" more like "Pay Your Story". The stories are good, but the system is bad and a rip-off. Inappropriate Stories include but are not limited to: My Teacher, My Gangster (Official Episode) $$$- includes gang violence and illegal activities The Teacher - includes the option to romanticize with a young teacher playing up the hot teacher cliche. I Married A Prince (Official Episode) $$$ - includes gun violence, blackmail, arranged marriage, sexual content, suicide Pregnant by a Killer - drinking, gangs, sex with a criminal, romanticizes rape, involves choosing a parent to kill (I'm not joking), runaway teen, and much more. Pregnant by My Student - again inappropriate relations, YOU are the teacher who has sex with a male student, also includes the option to abort child, continue to have relations with student And there are many more. While they aren't bad reads, they are still inappropriate for children. Most stories on the app are like this. They are ok for adults but terrible for children.

Adult Written byZendaya S. May 22, 2018
The episode is a very good app its just the stories the kids choose to play. I wouldn't advise a child 13 and up to play romance sections, but the others I believe are age appropriate.

Adult Written byLindsay H. March 3, 2017

It's fun

It allows an outlet for kids and adults to escape and it's like reading a book. It's tamer than violent comics and if used properly it makes it fun to read. Wish I had this when I was in high school. I'm writing Loving Ava. Check it out: https://episode.app.link/MuRWe7iEcB

Adult Written byEunicorn December 28, 2017

Interactive app has some setbacks

Episode is a great app, and for kids that are really young, I’d say around 10, they could use it if they just choose the right stories. I found out about this app when I was about 8 and downloaded it when I was 10. It’s really entertaining and addicting too!
Adult Written byLundyn C. March 29, 2018