Parent reviews for Instagram

Instagram Poster Image

Instagram for strict parents

I have 2 kids, a daughter whos 14 and a son whos 16. I remember having a conversation with my oldest when he was about 11. He was saying all his friends had it and all that. I did some of my own research and told him that he needed to be 12. . There were going to be some rules though, his Mom I and would follow his account. We did not want him to waste a lot of time on it. Instagram does make time fly, we didnt want him to be a pariah but we wanted him to not waste too much time on it. He has a screen time limit of 2 hrs a day; Instagram/Gaming/Youtube/Netflix are all mixed in this. Normally we wouldn't care how he split the time, but gaming has benefits to the brain while Instagram does not. The maximum amount he could ever spend on it was 35 minutes. And we checked every week. He did go over it sometimes so we had to reinforce the rules and suspend it once in a while. He is now 16 and still follows the rules. As parents we tend to underestimate kids, if you clearly state rules and punishments, they will follow. With my daughter I was worried about creeps. I was worried about the bad people getting to communicate with her. I let her get Instagram for her 14th birthday, we had very strict rules for her. She could follow only her friends and celebs. NO STRANGERS. Strangers could follow her because teens want followers but, she could only follow her friends. We made it clear to her that if someone started flirting with her over Instagram, and she didnt know them, it was not ok. We wanted her not to be scared of us forcing her to delete it so that was not an option. What I've learned from friends children is that if you do not let your child use it, they will use it on their own terms ignoring you. That opens many bad doors, its better to let them know that we are allowing them, not that they are doing it themselves. After all, how long can parents control their kid. Instagram is a double sided sword. Used wisely it can be a good tool. Used unwisely, could lead to problems. As parents that's where we come in, don't be afraid to take their phone without warning and check it. Before giving them Instagram lay out the rules. My rules are; 1. Strangers can follow, but no conversations with them. 2. Parents follow the account to see what stuff they post. 3. Strict time limit of 35. 4.Parents can search phone if wished. 5. It can be suspended until further notice as punishment. PS: I have found that Instagram is much safer than Facebook and SnapChat.
5 people found this helpful.

Instagram IS HARMFUL FOR CHILDREN

Horrible app! Just disgusting! all the teens get depressed because they see things that are not real ! Photoshopped pics of models, semi nudes, etc . Also lot of predators, so parental care is always better. and the app is always malfunctioning. took 30 min to do ONE POST!! It just crashes my phone constantly! It gets super slowed down just when I'm about to post and then it blocks my phone completely and i lose the post! Got to do it ALL AGAIN. feel super bad for the people who live of the work for Instagram because the app is terrible full of bugs !Not to mention the Photoshop that make us all think we're worthless...Mark Zucker,u can do better than this lol ,ur algorithm works better than the app functions!

3 people found this helpful.

13 at the earliest

I don’t care how many safety and parental settings they have on social media apps the kids these days can find their way around them and outsmart most parents. Instagram is fun and all, but there’s a huge distortion in reality that young children can be affected by from way too many “influencers” that post themselves doing dangerous stunts or sexualized pics of themselves, because they get paid for every click. Just let your child be a child .. not a kid that is getting their self worth from a social media app. They will imitate what they’re viewing you can guarantee that.

2 people found this helpful.

Can hurt your child's mental health

Social media is a huge influence and instagram is guilty of making it seem like everyone else's lives are perfect. It's great for sharing photos with other people but I'd make sure your kid keeps a private account until they're about 16/17+

2 people found this helpful.

Literally not a good app i don't have any songs on my Instagram account and doesn't show things I'm looking for and also in search area it doesn't show things related to the things i see everyday but instead it shows nature picture or any other which i do not want to see

I would not recommend you this app

Living Hell

I thought Instagram was really good for mental health, to make connections, and to be popular. But I really felt used, betrayed completely, and backstabbed behind my back. Even I received social discrimination in society, rejection, exclusion, stress and anxiety. But you know what? You will never get a second chance after all the damage you attempted to accomplish. Please, reconsider of having social media. It will use you, make a profit of you, exploit you, and act like nothing happened in front of you. Instagram, thanks for helping me see the 2 faces of the coin. On one side you are nice when actually you are a miserable treacherous social media app. In fact, I hope you get sued and end completely because of all the damage you have done to millions of people. Also, because of all the things that whistleblower has said. Already GOODBYE!!!

newest addiction

My honest review

I liked Instagram, but now so many Ads and crap on my news feed that I cannot even see any of my friends and family post. It’s horrible. I keep hiding them and they still keep coming. And being constantly reminded of Covid information, if I needed to know I would google it. I will probably delete soon already deleted Facebook.
1 person found this helpful.
I think this app is very appropriate for all ages and should be used to shape young minds and inform them of the things going on in the world