Kid reviews for Instagram

Great app makes sharing pretty, private photos all too easy.

Kid, 10 years old May 25, 2012

Great if you show your kids the ropes

Very good. Teaches kids about the arts. Fun way to interact with friends all across the world.. HOWEVER, It's INCREDIBLY easy to have some creep get in contact your children. Children can (although the rules prohibit this, you know what teens are like) post partially nude/nude pictures and post pictures of drugs, alcohol other stuff. Also great for brainwashing kids into buying products, as many companies are creating accounts nowadays. Also easy to reveal personal info. Tell them to check with you before posting any photos, put their settings on private, and make sure to tell you before accepting any followers/following someone. Make an account and follow you kids to make sure everything they post is a-okay. I, as a ten year old, find it a great way to keep in contact with my friends, and am also keeping safe at the same time.

Teen, 14 years old Written bycplovesbroadway April 23, 2013

A Fangirl's Favorite App

Let me begin by saying I am a *mature* 13 year old girl who is obsessed with books, celebrites from movies adapted from the books I love, and, um, IG. I have four accounts: the first, public, with over 1k followers, is my fandom account. On this account I post pictures from HP, THG, PJ, Divergent, etc. No selfies, not telling personal info, and I disabled geotags. Though I follow 2k+ people, I only follow accounts that are fandom based. Plus, I block and report anyone who follows me that seems even the slightest bit shady. The second, private, is my personal account. There I post selfies and random stuff from my life, allowing only people I know to follow me and following only people I know and a few select fandom accounts. The third, public, is a baking account. I post pictures I find of cakes; it's as simple as that- again, I block/report shady people. My fourth account, currently public, is a spare. I have it ready if I decide to make a new account. Moving on: Why I say it has good messages: many inspirational quotes are posted daily, as well as posts that encourage you to read different books. Why I say it has language: Well, it does. Almost any words you can think of, BUT- any 10+ year old knows a majority of cuss words and not to say them. I read cuss words in books, see them on IG, hear them in movies, yet I don't cuss at all. There is little sexy or violent stuff, however, so no worries there! HOW TO STAY SAFE AND APPROPRIATE: Public account= no selfies, geotags, email, birthday, etc. Private account= just don't put anything in your profile! Always block suspicious people, and report those with too sexy content. DO NOT post suggestive pictures, pictures with bad words, etc. This can lead to problems if people you DON'T want to see it (i.e. future employers, college administrators, principals...) If I see a pic I like with a bad word, I edit it out. So, Instagram: It's AWESOME! Just use it right :) ~Ciara

Teen, 13 years old Written byTara_D01 June 2, 2014

Not Good For Kids

I am a 13 year old who had an Instagram. Instagram is BAD. I was exposed to very bad things. I was hacked multiple times and my hacker followed very inappropriate users. I even made my account private and that didn't help at all. This app is NOT safe for children. I hope my feedback will help parents whose kids want an Instagram.

Teen, 16 years old Written by1Dinfinity March 2, 2013

Addicted.

I've been an Instagram user since about a year ago. When I first started, I posted pictures of my dog. That was it. Instagram allows you to change your username, so I made my account a so-called "Hipster" account. That luckily gained me many followers. Many kids, well, their main goal is to get the most followers. Over the time I've had this app, I've changed my username and theme of my account a lot. I finally settled on an account. I LOVE Instagram. It's my baby. I use Instagram to follow my friends, some 'hipster' accounts, and my 1D Fangirl Accounts. For me, I don't post pictures of myself, but if your child does, I recommend that you put their account on Private. Anybody can get into their account if they don't and most of the time access personal information the kid posts. I've seen sexual references and swear words, but what do you do? Unfollow Them. I have the philosophy that if I don't want my parents seeing it on my newsfeed, I shouldn't be looking at it. If your child gets a Instagram, I recommend you get one too and follow them to make sure everything they post is a-OK. As long as you keep it clean and safe, Instagram is a GREAT social network that you and your child will love!
Teen, 13 years old Written bythis_is_my_username January 5, 2013

Appropite for 9 and up

Instagram is a great way to share pictures to friends all over the world. Poeple think that it is horrible and not for kids but it is not bad. I have one and using it helps me keep in contact with my friends. Even my younger sister has one and she is 8. Instagram is two thumbs up!

Teen, 13 years old Written bySkyJewelDiamond October 18, 2013

Wonderful!

Simply a perfect app for anyone, whether a teen, kid or adult to express their emotions or simply post a picture for the world to see. As for safety concerns, you're able to make your account private, but your bio is public so don't write personal info in there if you want your account private. The Block User tool have proven to be useful and you can report people who are rude, or something like that. Very easy to use, safe for kids if they keep it private, and being able to filter, blur, focus, and now tilt to a different degree for your photos and videos just simply adds on to this wonderful app!
Teen, 13 years old Written bycyellen10 June 3, 2012

13 and UP

I think instagram is a great way for people to share photos. Its also a great "first social network" for young kids. It is a social network though so I recommend teens (13 and up) to use it.

Kid, 10 years old October 15, 2012

Best app ever!

Yeah, there can be profanity in comments. But, if your child only connects with friends it's 100% good and safe! You can make your account private so you have to accept followers who want to follow you. Nobody can see your photos unless they are following you/ if you approve.

Kid, 12 years old June 22, 2012

...

There are a lot of sick people on this app, just looking for someone innocent. I would not suggest this app for kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byScreennameGirl April 21, 2013

Great App, Iffy For Tweens and Under

Instagram is a great app as long as you know how to use it the right way. Users can create an account and upload photos for the world to see, or they can make a private account only their followers can see. Followers for the latter have to be approved by the user before they can see the photos. Nudity or otherwise inappropriate photos are not allowed on Instagram, but things can slip through before moderators see them. Suggestive photos are allowed mostly unless they are nude photos, so that can be an issue. Swearing is completely allowed in comments, usernames, and photos. It is a problem, too. Alcohol and violent/gore photos are allowed, but aren't frequently seen. A growing fad on Instagram was to have beauty contests among girls to compete to see who was prettiest. If a girl was voted out towards the beginning she could have her feelings and self-esteem hurt badly. Other useful tips are that anyone can see your username, biography, and profile picture even if you are private. Be sure not to share any personal information via those. Other than all that, this is a great app. I love using it!

Kid, 11 years old September 27, 2014

Instagram or Facebook?

I think that Instagram is safer than Facebook for a couple of reasons. One, nobody ever uses their real name. People always use usernames like "Nutella245" or something like that, so they don't have to know your real name. Two, it's safer. You can report a not good picture, block users, and you can send Direct Messages, kind of like IM, which is a message only to the people designated. Even though it says you "have to be 13 or older", let's face it. All social networking sites say that. And that is why I think Instagram is safer than Facebook.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySamlovesz June 3, 2012

Cool

Its a app for art and to show your work with freinds!!!!

Kid, 10 years old June 2, 2014

Instagram

Instagram is okay if you know what you're doing. For instance, make your account private and don't follow anyone who has anything inappropriate. But, Instagram is an amazing app for communicating with your friends. The bottom line is, if you think your kids will use profanity and look at sexually suggestive posts- don't let them get it. Otherwise, it's fine.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySebloc May 16, 2014

Look at what your kids do on Instagram carefully...

I think its appropriate for most kids. Although, you should see what your kids do. Some kids comment swears on each other's post. They may post inappropriate things. Just because your child is a nice, sweet kid... doesn't mean they haven't posted something disturbing. Also, make sure your kids do not post pictures of themselves if the account they are on is not private. Cyber-Bullying is a problem with this website. Just because your kids may be nice on the outside, doesn't mean they are with the web in the inside.

Kid, 11 years old December 23, 2012

Doesnt suck

Instagram is a fun app although alot of people can become so freaking addictive. Some people can be mean put you can report it

Kid, 10 years old June 22, 2013

GREAT APP!!!!!

It's an awesome app. Be safe, keep profile on private, don't look at bad things, check with your parents before doing anything with personal information. PLEASE BE SAFE!!

Teen, 13 years old Written bySophie_x June 27, 2014

I think Instagram is better than Facebook for teenagers/preteens

On Instagram you do have certain privacy settings that are optional, so wether or not you want your child to pick those settings is up to you. If you don't hashtag and have your account private, ONLY the people who follow you will see these, unless they look for hours on end for a picture or know your username. People can't just follow you and see pictures if you don't want them to, and you can always moderate who they follow and what they upload. It's not difficult to use, so definitely worth it:)

Teen, 13 years old Written byCandyMarshmallowGirl July 24, 2013

Amazing app for staying in touch, turn off location tagging and stay private to have a safe, fun experience

It's a good app for staying in contact with friends and family, and for sharing pictures and letting everyone know what you're doing! Just turn of the location tagging though because would you do this: show a stalker where you live, and then practically announce it's free to burgle while your away on holiday? And privacy, please be private! My friend has a public account "to get more followers" but I have almost double her followers (I have about 80) so that is basically showing that if, like I do, you accept only people you know then its ok and safe. I recommend checking your followers every week or so to make sure you're ok with them following you. My rules: if you've met them face to face, let them follow you - if not, ignore ; and also when posting pictures, comments etc: imagine it being shown on a big screen to your whole family, whole school and future employee and then think if you want them to see that. I know 9 year olds on instagram and that's fine as long as there responsible but I said pause for 11 because 11 year olds are fine with it, but perhaps some kids under 11 don't get the idea of future bosses judging your pictures. Overall, a great cool fun app but be careful with privacy and locations, followers and don't post things you could regret.

Kid, 12 years old May 18, 2013

Safe but not safe

Instagram, you need to know is an online network where your children can follow anyone, and anyone can follow them (on the settings you can, set your account to private and they have to ask to follow and you are able to decline.) It can teach your child photography lessons, and can help them socially but also hurt them that way because even though kids can be mean at school, it can carry into Instagram too but thankfully you can block users by going to their account and in the top corner there is a button and it gives you the option to report them for spam or block the user. But if they go into hashtags ( #example ) they go into pictures from all over the world and could see anything from profanity, to sexual situations and if they comment on them, they could get hackers on their trail or any kind of creepy person. For parents, when you help your child create their Instagram account, make sure you put in YOUR e-mail, otherwise, you won't be able to see what your kids are doing on their account, and you can remember their password. --Rhys Wells

Kid, 11 years old April 16, 2013

READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

people are able to do post whatever they want and I mean WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!