Parent reviews for Snapchat

Send moments in photos, watch curated content; use wisely.

Adult Written byMeghan Smith March 21, 2015

Fine

I honestly don't see all the fuss about snapchat as long as your kids are responsible.
Adult Written byAnnaClair June 3, 2016

BE A PARENT

I have read a lot of reviews on Snapchat. I'm frankly appalled at the parents that say my kid use it appropriately there's nothing wrong with it. I'd have to ask how do you know your kid is using it appropriately? The videos the pictures they all disappear within 5 to 10 seconds of someone sending them. However there are ways to save the pictures that people want to save that you send them. So if you're 13 or 14 year old girl or boy is sending inappropriate content of any kind comma it can be saved and sent out to the world. It is very easy to friend people on it. It is very easy to connect with people that your family have no clue who they are. It is not that I don't trust my children. But I do not trust their thirteen-year-old judgement. They are not developmentally mature to make the right decisions without guidance. Snapchat provides 0 ways for a parent to guide their child. As an adult with my adult children I have fun with it. But it is not something I'm willing to let my 13 year old daughter be apart of. I'm willing to bet that most of these parents that think it is just fine haven't picked up their child's phone and gone through they're content on much of anything. That's a generalization. I get it. But please look at your kids phones and text messages and Facebook and Instagram. It is your job and you're right as a parent.

Parent of a 6, 6, 9, and 11-year-old Written byNH4x4Jeep February 12, 2013

NOT SAFE! NOTE EVEN CLOSE! Do NOT trust the PERCEIVED safety!

Internet Rule #1: "Nothing is private online. Anything you say or do can be copied, pasted, and sent to gazillions of people without your permission."

Google: "How to save photos from SnapChat" Need I say more?
For more EXCELLENT information, see the "Digital citizenship" section of commonsensemedia.org! =)

Adult Written byAdm325465 June 20, 2016

Snapchat

Dear Parents Considering Snapchat,
Oh Snapchat.... One of the most controversial apps on the app store. I'm writing this after letting my new 13 year old get snapchat after a lot of begging. I think the reason many parents don't like snapchat is the disappearing of photos. That was the main reason I was so unsure about getting my child snapchat. But, snapchat is just like ANY other social media. You can direct message or DM as the kids call it and you can post pictures on your "story". I guess this app is a question of maturity because once you hit that post button anyone in the whole entire world can see what you posted or DM'ed. One thing that I'm glad that snapchat did was give us the option to have a private account which means only people that you accept there friend request can view your posts and vice versa. What I did was I gave my child snapchat and did quick checks over his shoulder from time to time. I also secretly installed an app from the App Store that saves all of the snaps he gets from anyone and everyone. ( Keep in mind my son has no clue that I did this) So far I have seen nothing bad what so ever and I am not worried. SOOOO what I'm saying is snapchat is an ok app if you trust your kid and give him that quick reminders that someone is always watching what you send. ;)

I hope this influenced you in a positive way!
Adult Written by2 samuel 22 March 5, 2013

Beware of dangerous app

beware this is a very distastful app and should not be on the market to download. many pre-teens and teen are usuing it for sexting. encourages poor charecter.

Adult Written byKristi J. November 5, 2016

New Snapchat Discover Stories regularly have sexually explicit images and articles -- not for kids!

We decided to let our oldest daughter (13 at the time) have the popular app, Snapchat a year or so ago in the context of sending fun filtered videos and pictures to her trusted friends. However, the app has gone through many revisions since we first allowed it.

It now has Discover Stories with pictures and links to articles which appear front and center when you open the app. For the past week or so, I have tried to look at these every day to see what these articles are promoting. Many have steamy almost nude graphics which are visible before snapchatters click through. This is the norm, not the exception. And the article names are often sexually explicit -- "Celebs tell stories of how they lost their virginity," "4 Emojis for Steamy Sexting," "A Guide to Lady Parts for Guys," and more. One this past week was about orgies.... These explicit, often trashy articles and pictures have been present every single day I have looked.

The app says it is appropriate for kids ages 12+ but in my opinion as a parent, this is definitely not the case! If you are considering for your tween/ teen, I recommend opening an account first for yourself and monitoring the articles for a week or so. Then decide what you feel is appropriate for you family.

Adult Written byPluskids July 12, 2016

What is the world coming to?

Don't be fooled by the cute yellow ghost icon. People using this site are sexting and sharing inappropriate photos with young people. People are using this app to corrupt and lure children to other sites to meet up in.
Adult Written byhrkhamilton July 12, 2017

Appeals to deception and encourages media addiction, behind an innocent mask of funny photo filters!

At first glance Snapchat is a really funny app in which users can take funny pictures of themselves and their pals using all the crazy filters. And when we were first introduced to SC, thought all of that was amusing, innocent fun for our teenagers.

But beyond that, there is just no good. 1. The primary concern of parents.... The disappearing messages, I believe, were designed by the creators to cater to deceit. Even for good kids, the temptation to sneak and live a secret little life, can get the best of them, and overshadow their good intentions. (beware: Instagram recently added a disappearing messages feature as well) This secrecy makes sexting way too easy. 2. More secrecy: There is a "FOR MY EYES ONLY" section in the memories, which requires a second pin to access. 3. The friend coded emojis, trophies and the streak games encourage media addiction and popularity competition. All of your "friends" on SC are coded with an emoji of multiple emojis next to their names -these may mean BF, BFF, BFF for one month, two months, they are your BF but you're not their BF, snap streak with the person for x # days..... and the list goes on and on. Then there are the trophies, one of which we found was for sending a video snap between 4AM and 5AM. All this equals status, competition and addiction.

MY SUMMARY:
SC can be really fun and innocent and I wish it were just that. With frequent monitoring, continual (not just a one and done hit when they first get an account) open discussion with your kids. It's hard to pinpoint an age that it's appropriate for. I feel like teenagers ages 13-16 are in a stage on their life where they crave approval, acceptance, and hence, are easily influenced by the world. They fall prey to the dark side of what could otherwise be good, too easily.

Our daughter has transitioned from being very transparent and honest with us, to being sneaky and deceptive as the social media influence crept into her life. It is no different than a teenager getting mixed up with a group of bad friends who dilute their once strong convictions. The problem is, social media makes it even easier to get wrapped up in the bad influence. We really wish we would not have been so naive about SC from the start, but we didn't want to be TOO harsh, we didn't want to say no to everything. Well, we are now saying no until trust can be proven again and we will be using apps and programs for monitoring all device activity.

Adult Written bybruinim April 29, 2016

Why not just use a regular text app

The whole premise of this app is to HIDE information from others, including parents! Why not use a regular texting app or one that automatically forwards all text to you. Parents, stop being a "Yes" parent and realize that there is NOTHING that should EVER be hidden from your review and evaluation! Say NO to Snapchat! This review system forces me to include an appropriate age for kids. I say that no kid should have it and there is no reason for adults to have it either.

Adult Written byRickLee January 12, 2019

PLEASE READ! it’s not as bad as it is told to be

Honestly when my son and daughter first started asking for Snapchat I told them absolutely not because of the fact that messages disappear and is the worst app supposedly for cyber bullying. After making my own and playing around with the app for awhile I noticed how very similar it really is to every other social media. My two kids (12 & 14) both have Instagram and started to become interested in this app when many of their peers at school downloaded this “terrible” app. Now, I’m an administrator and I’ve had to deal with a few Snapchat incidents over my past couple years, but after trying it out I found it to be no different than Instagram except that Snapchat pictures and videos disappear. I check my kids phones so when I found out about this my decision was no, but after some thoughtful reconsideration I decided to let my kids have a chance to prove their trust because I’ve never had a problem with either in the past. After they got it I didn’t notice much of a difference with them, they weren’t getting in trouble for using it too much, saying hateful things, and they started to even feel more confident because they could relate more to their friends and had something to talk about if all else failed. In conclusion, I think Snapchat is an app that should be rewarded if your child is responsible and mature because only a small percent of children really make mistakes that can put their future ahead in danger

Parent of a 8 and 12-year-old Written bysnkr February 20, 2018

Took it away

We allowed my 12 daughter year old to get Snapchat. After seeing the inappropriate videos, photos, and posts created by her group of friends from school, we took it away. They (mostly the boys) were using inappropriate language, talking about drugs and alcohol, and posting videos doing rude/sexual things behind the girls' backs. And one boy put up a lie about my daughter to their whole group. The girls all knew it wasn't true, but the boys believed it. These are 12 and 13 year olds! Not OK! There is plenty of time for all that crap later. Now they need to be kids.

Adult Written byJRB0725 June 8, 2016

SnapChat shows inappropriate content to all users

Inappropriate Content: There was a link above to watch/open "(Name) talks about nipple stimulation" Totally inappropriate-I do not want to read or watch that. This needs to be screened.

I attempted to write them, but because I did not have the users name it would not let me submit feedback to Snapchat.

I have deleted my app until this is fixed.

Parent Written byshauna3 July 12, 2013

Primarily used for SEXTING

Snap-chat creates a sense of 'freedom', if you will, about posting things that you really don't want others to see. It is predominately a sexting site. The images say they disappear but you can capture them - its not hard. NOTHING is private online or with social media. Why introduce something to your children or allow them to use it when the primary use is inappropriate?

Parent of a 14-year-old Written byRobin E. November 29, 2017

A Cyberbully or Pedofile's best friend

Privacy & Safety
Parent of a 11, 12, 14, 16, and 18+-year-old Written byLisha H December 12, 2016

Snapchat sneaks in sexually explicit content

Years ago I approved this app for my kids before they had magazines, Now they have a magazine feature. Any time a person goes to the stories page to see things their friends have posted they see several magazine covers. Many of which are shockingly sexual. It is not possible to opt out of these magazines or to not see the covers if you go to the stories page. The rating does not reflect how sexual these magazines have evolved to be.

Adult Written byMiaaubrey May 1, 2016

Terrible

This is a terrible app that (if you have to use it) should only be used by adults..... Most people/kids use it for nude pictures or inappropriate things.... It's very abnoxuous and invasive. If you honestly feel the need to let everyone know your business and see clips of you all day... Then this might be right for you. People/kids think that because the picture is only seen for a few seconds... It doesn't matter what you send. But tht is wrong. People can save the pictures and it's putting that picture into the database. It's not a good place to be especially if you are underage. Nudity underage is illegal... It's not productive and not a good way to spend your time. In the past there was a news story on an underage kid who killed his friend and put a picture of the deseased body on his account... And every day I see on social media sites , kids under the age of 18 asking for people to send nude pictures to eachother... Especially strangers.............. Stay off of this trash..... Make this generation better........

Parent Written byMelanie R. January 10, 2018

Detrimental App

Be careful allowing your kids to have this app. This app gives kids the opportunity to be mean, cruel and bully without getting caught. You have to report things over and over and this issue never stops! This app is detrimental to our kids being cyber bullied!!! This app should be removed immediately!

Parent of a 12, 15, and 17-year-old Written byRob H. June 8, 2018

Adults Only!

Sure, you’re going to have those parents telling you it’s fine. It isn’t. The app was designed for sexting without getting caught. Every new version of the app doesn’t dispel this. True, monitoring any social media account your kid has can be tough, but this app makes it too easy to hide what they’re doing and seeing. Kids know this, too, and will take advantage of it. Even if your kid isn’t “like that,” you know other kids will be. Don’t allow your kid to be exposed to crap they don’t need to see. Being a teen is hard enough without compounding it with garbage.
Parent Written byaedfaedfr January 20, 2015

Good

Its is a great app I do not see why other people are saying that it is 'very inappropriate' when it is not. Your child has to be old enough, and all of my children use it appropriately.

Parent of a 8 and 13-year-old Written bymandy j. November 30, 2017

SNAPCHAT IS NOT FOR CHILDREN!!!!!!

i let my daughter download snachat, it was not a good idea. she recived some photos that were not approriate. she was only supposed to use it for her soccer team. im very dissapointed in her but the app is innsporopiate ad wee.