Parent reviews for Snapchat

Send moments in photos, watch curated content; use wisely.

Adult Written byAdm325465 June 20, 2016

Snapchat

Dear Parents Considering Snapchat, Oh Snapchat.... One of the most controversial apps on the app store. I'm writing this after letting my new 13 year old get snapchat after a lot of begging. I think the reason many parents don't like snapchat is the disappearing of photos. That was the main reason I was so unsure about getting my child snapchat. But, snapchat is just like ANY other social media. You can direct message or DM as the kids call it and you can post pictures on your "story". I guess this app is a question of maturity because once you hit that post button anyone in the whole entire world can see what you posted or DM'ed. One thing that I'm glad that snapchat did was give us the option to have a private account which means only people that you accept there friend request can view your posts and vice versa. What I did was I gave my child snapchat and did quick checks over his shoulder from time to time. I also secretly installed an app from the App Store that saves all of the snaps he gets from anyone and everyone. ( Keep in mind my son has no clue that I did this) So far I have seen nothing bad what so ever and I am not worried. SOOOO what I'm saying is snapchat is an ok app if you trust your kid and give him that quick reminders that someone is always watching what you send. ;) I hope this influenced you in a positive way!
Parent of a 7, 8, 13, 14, and 16 year old Written byTom7744 November 19, 2015

DANGEROUS - Don't be a YES Parent! This app is bad news!! Just say NO!

We are currently going through the "switch" moment (11-13) where our daughter is transitioning from a Sweet Princess who was once thoughtful, loving and considerate to.... Well…. someone else entirely, we still love this stranger but it's taking some time to adjust =). I hear that we could get our sweet loving person back anywhere from age 16 to 21 but wow that's a loooong time to wait. Sigh…. That’s life.. So…. SNAPCHAT REVIEW! When we noticed that our daughter was becoming active online and getting more of an attitude with everyone we started looking into her activity online and I have to say that I am so glad we did. She was cursing, getting sexual post tags from her 11 year old friends, saying sexual things to teenage YouTube heart throbs which she was instructed by them to do via a request to the masses of obsessed girls (she didn’t know it but it was really bad) …. The list goes on, she wasn't doing drugs or getting sexual thankfully but it was a path that she could go down. So we intervened and we continue to do so. I am not saying we examine every single post or message but a glance here and there doesn’t hurt and in our case it was a wakeup call. OK, so that was Twitter, YouTube and Instagram activity. Why do I mention this? What's the point man!? I'm glad you asked! It's because those were all social media sites and messages that we could monitor if we chose to and act accordingly. THAT IS NOT THE CASE WITH SNAPCHAT! POOF EVERY MESSAGE VANISHES IN SECONDS AFTER IT HAS BEEN LOOKED AT! Snapchat messages photos, videos, and text messages disappear after 5 to 10 seconds by default! It takes away a parents ability to insure that their child isn't making the wrong choices online and gives a child 100% privacy and freedom to say whatever he/she wants, take a picture or video of whatever he/she wants TO whoever he/she wants and vice versa. And YOU as a parent will never know if what is being sent is good, silly, bad or horrible. You won't know if they are sexting or getting bullied…. I think you get the picture here. And before you say no way not my kid! Think twice! We thought the same about our Precious Daughter! When we have talked to other parents that have discovered what their precious innocent child was doing online they were all very shocked… They didn’t think it would happen to them either! We were young once too but the margin for error has increased 10,000 fold and extends to the entire world! Not just the kids on your neighborhood block. Protect your kids. Don’t give into these social media trends. Just because all of their friends have it doesn’t mean we as parents have to say YES! We are allowed to say No! I am not saying we examine every single post but a glance here and there doesn’t hurt and in our case it was a wakeup call. I know a 15 to 16 year old teenager who shared a nude with her boyfriend that he could have shared with the whole school and online ahem… aka the world. And I have to say I would never think this girl would ever do something so dumb… Trust is something that is earned and something you can never verify with an app like Snapchat. So Snapchat is not something I will trust in the hands of my teenager. Has our daughter done anything horrible on Snapchat? I honestly have a hard time believing she ever would, but I will never know and that’s my point…..

Drinking, drugs & smoking
Parent of a 6, 6, 9, and 11 year old Written byNH4x4Jeep February 12, 2013

NOT SAFE! NOTE EVEN CLOSE! Do NOT trust the PERCEIVED safety!

Internet Rule #1: "Nothing is private online. Anything you say or do can be copied, pasted, and sent to gazillions of people without your permission." Google: "How to save photos from SnapChat" Need I say more? For more EXCELLENT information, see the "Digital citizenship" section of commonsensemedia.org! =)

Adult Written byMeghan Smith March 21, 2015

Fine

I honestly don't see all the fuss about snapchat as long as your kids are responsible.
Educator and Parent Written bysadfadefa January 20, 2015

It Is Not Inappropriate !!

This App Is Not Inappropriate! This app needs to be used well, but other from that, there is no problem.
Educator and Parent Written byaedfaedfr January 20, 2015

Good

Its is a great app I do not see why other people are saying that it is 'very inappropriate' when it is not. Your child has to be old enough, and all of my children use it appropriately.

Adult Written byAnnaClair June 3, 2016

BE A PARENT

I have read a lot of reviews on Snapchat. I'm frankly appalled at the parents that say my kid use it appropriately there's nothing wrong with it. I'd have to ask how do you know your kid is using it appropriately? The videos the pictures they all disappear within 5 to 10 seconds of someone sending them. However there are ways to save the pictures that people want to save that you send them. So if you're 13 or 14 year old girl or boy is sending inappropriate content of any kind comma it can be saved and sent out to the world. It is very easy to friend people on it. It is very easy to connect with people that your family have no clue who they are. It is not that I don't trust my children. But I do not trust their thirteen-year-old judgement. They are not developmentally mature to make the right decisions without guidance. Snapchat provides 0 ways for a parent to guide their child. As an adult with my adult children I have fun with it. But it is not something I'm willing to let my 13 year old daughter be apart of. I'm willing to bet that most of these parents that think it is just fine haven't picked up their child's phone and gone through they're content on much of anything. That's a generalization. I get it. But please look at your kids phones and text messages and Facebook and Instagram. It is your job and you're right as a parent.

Parent of a 12 and 18+ year old Written bysnapchat14 October 23, 2014

Great App!

As a mother of two children who both have snapchat, I will say that all parents should let their child have one if they want one! As I was very VERY weary of snapchat at first, I learned that it is NOT a bad website!

Adult Written byKristi J. November 5, 2016

New Snapchat Discover Stories regularly have sexually explicit images and articles -- not for kids!

We decided to let our oldest daughter (13 at the time) have the popular app, Snapchat a year or so ago in the context of sending fun filtered videos and pictures to her trusted friends. However, the app has gone through many revisions since we first allowed it. It now has Discover Stories with pictures and links to articles which appear front and center when you open the app. For the past week or so, I have tried to look at these every day to see what these articles are promoting. Many have steamy almost nude graphics which are visible before snapchatters click through. This is the norm, not the exception. And the article names are often sexually explicit -- "Celebs tell stories of how they lost their virginity," "4 Emojis for Steamy Sexting," "A Guide to Lady Parts for Guys," and more. One this past week was about orgies.... These explicit, often trashy articles and pictures have been present every single day I have looked. The app says it is appropriate for kids ages 12+ but in my opinion as a parent, this is definitely not the case! If you are considering for your tween/ teen, I recommend opening an account first for yourself and monitoring the articles for a week or so. Then decide what you feel is appropriate for you family.

Adult Written byehoytlowrey December 15, 2014

Safety Concern

Please monitor your child's account on SnapChat. Anyone can add them as a friend and send them photos or messages. Some children don't think about deleting or blocking because they don't want to be mean, and in today's age children think it's important to have as many "friends" as possible. Discuss your concerns with your child and let them know that it's more important to be safe than to be nice sometimes.

Adult Written by2 samuel 22 March 5, 2013

Beware of dangerous app

beware this is a very distastful app and should not be on the market to download. many pre-teens and teen are usuing it for sexting. encourages poor charecter.

Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bycathy59 February 13, 2015

It's good for children you trust.

Fun!
Adult Written byparent1101 November 24, 2015
I am a parent I have 3 Children an 8 year old an 13 year old and a 16 year old. I do not let my 8 or 13 year old have any social media they do not have an iPhone. My 16 year old has an iPhone 4. She uses Instagram and snapchat. Weare very strict with her and we look at what her friends send her. She mustbe private. I have the password to all accounts. She cannot add people she does not know. We read every single bit of info. She cannot put any info about her. We make sure who she's following is only people she has met and she is friends with in person. Before she can accept anyone she has to ask us to approve the person even if it is from school. My 8 year old cannot talk to her friends online anyway shape or form no iPads because she can talk to them at school. My 13 year old cannot talk to any body from school through the internet or the computer iPod iPad iPhone ect.. I would say 16+ I did not let my 16 year old get snapchat till 16.

Adult Written bybruinim April 29, 2016

Why not just use a regular text app

The whole premise of this app is to HIDE information from others, including parents! Why not use a regular texting app or one that automatically forwards all text to you. Parents, stop being a "Yes" parent and realize that there is NOTHING that should EVER be hidden from your review and evaluation! Say NO to Snapchat! This review system forces me to include an appropriate age for kids. I say that no kid should have it and there is no reason for adults to have it either.

Adult Written bykellyhartung22 February 19, 2016

It's fine for children 12 and up!

I think snapchat is great. I have a 7 year old, a 14 year old, and a 16 year old. I have took a close look at the app and my 14 and 16 year old girls have it. It is very easy to use wisely, so if used wisely it is perfect. Yes, there may be some people who take explicit pictures, but the majority is fine. Parents- THIS APP IS OK TO USE FOR CHILDREN 12 AND OVER!! VERY FEW USE IT INNAPROPRIATLY

Parent Written byshauna3 July 12, 2013

Primarily used for SEXTING

Snap-chat creates a sense of 'freedom', if you will, about posting things that you really don't want others to see. It is predominately a sexting site. The images say they disappear but you can capture them - its not hard. NOTHING is private online or with social media. Why introduce something to your children or allow them to use it when the primary use is inappropriate?

Drinking, drugs & smoking
Adult Written byRUBBERDUCK1 November 19, 2015

Stupid app with stupid content

Parent Written byjane12345 January 20, 2015

Great.

Its is a good social site, my two children enjoy it. I think there is no problem having the app, though you and your kids should make a rule, that no one will ever send any inappropriate pictures. If you do that, then the app is quite good.

Adult Written byQuinnnnnnnnndfjfirn August 15, 2015

Snapchat

I think snapchat is great! I have 2 kids (13, 15) it's super fun for them and the app is free