Parent reviews for Snapchat

Send moments in photos, watch curated content; use wisely.

Adult Written byMeghan Smith March 21, 2015

Fine

I honestly don't see all the fuss about snapchat as long as your kids are responsible.
Adult Written byRickLee January 12, 2019

PLEASE READ! it’s not as bad as it is told to be

Honestly when my son and daughter first started asking for Snapchat I told them absolutely not because of the fact that messages disappear and is the worst app supposedly for cyber bullying. After making my own and playing around with the app for awhile I noticed how very similar it really is to every other social media. My two kids (12 & 14) both have Instagram and started to become interested in this app when many of their peers at school downloaded this “terrible” app. Now, I’m an administrator and I’ve had to deal with a few Snapchat incidents over my past couple years, but after trying it out I found it to be no different than Instagram except that Snapchat pictures and videos disappear. I check my kids phones so when I found out about this my decision was no, but after some thoughtful reconsideration I decided to let my kids have a chance to prove their trust because I’ve never had a problem with either in the past. After they got it I didn’t notice much of a difference with them, they weren’t getting in trouble for using it too much, saying hateful things, and they started to even feel more confident because they could relate more to their friends and had something to talk about if all else failed. In conclusion, I think Snapchat is an app that should be rewarded if your child is responsible and mature because only a small percent of children really make mistakes that can put their future ahead in danger

Adult Written by2 samuel 22 March 5, 2013

Beware of dangerous app

beware this is a very distastful app and should not be on the market to download. many pre-teens and teen are usuing it for sexting. encourages poor charecter.

Adult Written byKristi J. November 5, 2016

New Snapchat Discover Stories regularly have sexually explicit images and articles -- not for kids!

We decided to let our oldest daughter (13 at the time) have the popular app, Snapchat a year or so ago in the context of sending fun filtered videos and pictures to her trusted friends. However, the app has gone through many revisions since we first allowed it.

It now has Discover Stories with pictures and links to articles which appear front and center when you open the app. For the past week or so, I have tried to look at these every day to see what these articles are promoting. Many have steamy almost nude graphics which are visible before snapchatters click through. This is the norm, not the exception. And the article names are often sexually explicit -- "Celebs tell stories of how they lost their virginity," "4 Emojis for Steamy Sexting," "A Guide to Lady Parts for Guys," and more. One this past week was about orgies.... These explicit, often trashy articles and pictures have been present every single day I have looked.

The app says it is appropriate for kids ages 12+ but in my opinion as a parent, this is definitely not the case! If you are considering for your tween/ teen, I recommend opening an account first for yourself and monitoring the articles for a week or so. Then decide what you feel is appropriate for you family.

Parent Written byaedfaedfr January 20, 2015

Good

Its is a great app I do not see why other people are saying that it is 'very inappropriate' when it is not. Your child has to be old enough, and all of my children use it appropriately.

Adult Written byhrkhamilton July 12, 2017

Appeals to deception and encourages media addiction, behind an innocent mask of funny photo filters!

At first glance Snapchat is a really funny app in which users can take funny pictures of themselves and their pals using all the crazy filters. And when we were first introduced to SC, thought all of that was amusing, innocent fun for our teenagers.

But beyond that, there is just no good. 1. The primary concern of parents.... The disappearing messages, I believe, were designed by the creators to cater to deceit. Even for good kids, the temptation to sneak and live a secret little life, can get the best of them, and overshadow their good intentions. (beware: Instagram recently added a disappearing messages feature as well) This secrecy makes sexting way too easy. 2. More secrecy: There is a "FOR MY EYES ONLY" section in the memories, which requires a second pin to access. 3. The friend coded emojis, trophies and the streak games encourage media addiction and popularity competition. All of your "friends" on SC are coded with an emoji of multiple emojis next to their names -these may mean BF, BFF, BFF for one month, two months, they are your BF but you're not their BF, snap streak with the person for x # days..... and the list goes on and on. Then there are the trophies, one of which we found was for sending a video snap between 4AM and 5AM. All this equals status, competition and addiction.

MY SUMMARY:
SC can be really fun and innocent and I wish it were just that. With frequent monitoring, continual (not just a one and done hit when they first get an account) open discussion with your kids. It's hard to pinpoint an age that it's appropriate for. I feel like teenagers ages 13-16 are in a stage on their life where they crave approval, acceptance, and hence, are easily influenced by the world. They fall prey to the dark side of what could otherwise be good, too easily.

Our daughter has transitioned from being very transparent and honest with us, to being sneaky and deceptive as the social media influence crept into her life. It is no different than a teenager getting mixed up with a group of bad friends who dilute their once strong convictions. The problem is, social media makes it even easier to get wrapped up in the bad influence. We really wish we would not have been so naive about SC from the start, but we didn't want to be TOO harsh, we didn't want to say no to everything. Well, we are now saying no until trust can be proven again and we will be using apps and programs for monitoring all device activity.

Adult Written byehoytlowrey December 15, 2014

Safety Concern

Please monitor your child's account on SnapChat. Anyone can add them as a friend and send them photos or messages. Some children don't think about deleting or blocking because they don't want to be mean, and in today's age children think it's important to have as many "friends" as possible. Discuss your concerns with your child and let them know that it's more important to be safe than to be nice sometimes.

Adult Written byVolleyballer . April 1, 2018

Its Really Not That Bad

Dear parents considering Snapchat,
Here are some common myths about Snapchat:
The discover content is dirty:
First of all, I have had snapchat for a while and rarely seen racy images or "stories", most of it is just people sharing their daily lives with the world.
Random strangers can view my childs snaps or stories:
To prevent this, simply turn on privacy settings and dont accept friend requests from people you dont know.
Snapchat is only used for sexting:
This is probably the most misconcieved thing about Snapchat. While some teenagers may use it for that purpose, just think about your child in particular. Are they trustworthy, honest, and respectful of themselves and others? If the answer is yes then you are good to go!
All in all, Snapchat is a great way for kids (and adults) to communicate using fun filters, text, and images, and has minor concerns that should pretty much be overlooked if you have a responisble child.

Adult Written bybruinim April 29, 2016

Why not just use a regular text app

The whole premise of this app is to HIDE information from others, including parents! Why not use a regular texting app or one that automatically forwards all text to you. Parents, stop being a "Yes" parent and realize that there is NOTHING that should EVER be hidden from your review and evaluation! Say NO to Snapchat! This review system forces me to include an appropriate age for kids. I say that no kid should have it and there is no reason for adults to have it either.

Parent of a 12 and 18+-year-old Written bysnapchat14 October 23, 2014

Great App!

As a mother of two children who both have snapchat, I will say that all parents should let their child have one if they want one! As I was very VERY weary of snapchat at first, I learned that it is NOT a bad website!

Parent Written byshauna3 July 12, 2013

Primarily used for SEXTING

Snap-chat creates a sense of 'freedom', if you will, about posting things that you really don't want others to see. It is predominately a sexting site. The images say they disappear but you can capture them - its not hard. NOTHING is private online or with social media. Why introduce something to your children or allow them to use it when the primary use is inappropriate?

Privacy & Safety
Parent of a 11, 12, 14, 16, and 18+-year-old Written byLisha H December 12, 2016

Snapchat sneaks in sexually explicit content

Years ago I approved this app for my kids before they had magazines, Now they have a magazine feature. Any time a person goes to the stories page to see things their friends have posted they see several magazine covers. Many of which are shockingly sexual. It is not possible to opt out of these magazines or to not see the covers if you go to the stories page. The rating does not reflect how sexual these magazines have evolved to be.

Adult Written byJRB0725 June 8, 2016

SnapChat shows inappropriate content to all users

Inappropriate Content: There was a link above to watch/open "(Name) talks about nipple stimulation" Totally inappropriate-I do not want to read or watch that. This needs to be screened.

I attempted to write them, but because I did not have the users name it would not let me submit feedback to Snapchat.

I have deleted my app until this is fixed.

Adult Written byMiaaubrey May 1, 2016

Terrible

This is a terrible app that (if you have to use it) should only be used by adults..... Most people/kids use it for nude pictures or inappropriate things.... It's very abnoxuous and invasive. If you honestly feel the need to let everyone know your business and see clips of you all day... Then this might be right for you. People/kids think that because the picture is only seen for a few seconds... It doesn't matter what you send. But tht is wrong. People can save the pictures and it's putting that picture into the database. It's not a good place to be especially if you are underage. Nudity underage is illegal... It's not productive and not a good way to spend your time. In the past there was a news story on an underage kid who killed his friend and put a picture of the deseased body on his account... And every day I see on social media sites , kids under the age of 18 asking for people to send nude pictures to eachother... Especially strangers.............. Stay off of this trash..... Make this generation better........

Parent Written byMelanie R. January 10, 2018

Detrimental App

Be careful allowing your kids to have this app. This app gives kids the opportunity to be mean, cruel and bully without getting caught. You have to report things over and over and this issue never stops! This app is detrimental to our kids being cyber bullied!!! This app should be removed immediately!

Adult Written byLuke T. March 21, 2017

Risky

There are two issues with this app. One, you can't control what people post or send, though typically that hasn't been a problem for me. The issue for me was that the sponsored stories from cosmopolitan and other places that they display often have very inappropriate images and titles. Lots of things about sex and occasionally they'll post a semi-censored image that a celebrity has posted. They'll cover the "private parts" but it's still pretty revelaing in my opinion.

Parent of a 12, 15, and 17-year-old Written byRob H. June 8, 2018

Adults Only!

Sure, you’re going to have those parents telling you it’s fine. It isn’t. The app was designed for sexting without getting caught. Every new version of the app doesn’t dispel this. True, monitoring any social media account your kid has can be tough, but this app makes it too easy to hide what they’re doing and seeing. Kids know this, too, and will take advantage of it. Even if your kid isn’t “like that,” you know other kids will be. Don’t allow your kid to be exposed to crap they don’t need to see. Being a teen is hard enough without compounding it with garbage.
Adult Written byTM 2 January 27, 2018

Bad News

The problem with Snapchat is not the cute fun filters or snaps you get from friends that’s great, it’s the TACKY daily news your forced to see with pictures of that nasty Kim or Kylee or other trash half naked with disgusting headlines . I don’t want my child reading or seeing trash like that, really Snapchat this is how you portray women ,as empty headed idiots that lay around naked letting men disrespect them ? Disgusting!

Parent of a 11 and 14-year-old Written bycathy59 February 13, 2015

It's good for children you trust.

Fun!