Kid reviews for Snapchat

Send moments in photos, watch curated content; use wisely.

Wondering if Snapchat is OK for your kids?

Teen, 13 years old Written bywhysosalty January 29, 2017

Essentially Texting

Snapchat is a great app that can be used 100% innocently. Some parents automatically associate this app with sending nudes and talking to strangers, when this is really not the case. It all depends on how much trust you have with your kid. Make sure they know not to give out their username to strangers, and if they aren't doing that, there really isn't a threat, because they can only receive snaps from friends they've added. The only people they'll be contacting on there will be their friends, so Snapchat essentially becomes like texting, but way cooler and also a basic necessity in middle and high school. Don't make their life more difficult by restricting something simply because you don't know enough about it. They're already under immense stress from school and life in general, and having to tell other kids that they aren't allowed to have a Snapchat or Instagram is very embarrassing and difficult, and adds even more stress in social aspects of their life. (I speak from a lot of experience.) If you trust them to text you should trust them to snap.

Kid, 11 years old June 5, 2017

Maturity Level

I can't really talk because I am just eleven, but I believe that you should not be any younger than this to use any form of social media such as Snap Chat. Saying this, I also believe that it is the level of maturity and responsibility you grade yourself. I think this app is perfectly fine for a mature and responsible eleven year old, like myself. However if you are not, I think 16+. Now a days, if you don't have the latest social media app, you are often bullied or left out however do not just let your child install this app because of that reason. Please take time to consider the maturity level. Was this review helpful?

Teen, 16 years old Written bymollycharlotterose July 19, 2014

You just have to make sure you know who your child has as a contact!

I am 16, and I have been using snapchat for a fair amount of time now. I think that it is absolutely fine for most ages - as long as the person using it, and their parent knows about the different settings. For example, my sister has snapchat. She is 9. But, we make sure that in her snapchat settings - only people who she has added as a contact herself can send her snaps. She only has me, my mum and a few of her school friends on snapchat, and no-one else can send her anything. Most of the reviews that say the app can contain violence, sex etc. are bias, since these things only happen if you have people in your contacts who are going to share those things. It is easy to delete people as a contact on snapchat - and even block them, which is unnecessary if you have the correct settings anyway.

Obviously bad things can happen with snapchat, but if you are responsible and know how to use it, I can assure you there is nothing to worry about.

Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2013

Use Wisely.

While using snapchat, a person can take a picture, put a timer on it, (to make it visible for a certain amount of time: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, or 10 seconds) and then you can add a note if you want and then can send it to anyone if you have their snapchat username. Parents would want to be careful to let their child use this app, because there is the possibility of a kid taking innapropriate pictures or adding bad language to the pictures, and the parent would never know because the picture disappears in seconds and you can never find it again. I use it with my friends just for fun, and my parents trust me with what I do with it, and they occasionally look at the pictures my friends send me.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySimK July 4, 2016

Is Snapchat really 14+ The Truth

From experience, I think that Snapchat is just fine for kids and parents to use. I got Snapchat when I was 11 years old, and it is fine to use, if you use it respectfully. Your "Story" can contain all the snaps that you want your friends to see. You can also change on who can see your snaps. Your snaps also go away after 10 seconds. You can also chat with your friends, and choose who you will follow and chat with. There are also "The Snaps Of The Day" which is a lot of snaps which CNN or other services can post to keep you alerted on what is happening around the world. You can also follow famous people on Snapchat, too. Snapchat is a great Social Media tool for kids to use.

Kid, 12 years old December 28, 2014

I love it!

I love snapchat! I got it a few weeks ago. My parents know I have snapchat. They trust me I won't send inappropriate pictures or use bad language. Snapchat can be dangerous if not used wisely. My privacy setting are so that I can only receive snaps from my friends not any random stranger. If you want snapchat, you need to ask your parents! Snapchat is really fun and I use it like 24/7!

Kid, 12 years old October 19, 2014

Not a bad app if you look into it.

I have had a snap chat since I was 10 and it's not bad. I can share pictures with my friends and make stories. It's not inappropriate as long as you don't swear or post inappropriate things. My mom and dad have a snapchat and we snap all the time! I think some parents are being way to protective by rating it for kids 15 and up. Really? It's not bad at all. :)

Teen, 16 years old Written byoliviahills December 18, 2019

Don't be an overprotective parent

So obviously it comes with concerns like almost every single app in the world but PLEASE don't be that parent who monitors every last living thing their year 8 kid does or OLDER???! Yes I agree it is sometimes okay to check their phone but don't read all their messages, you shouldn't be logged into their accounts on your phone either. I had this happen to me and I felt trapped and caged in because my mum was logged in on her phone to my Instagram and snapchat and had a tracker on her phone. Please don't be that parent okay, give your kid some Time out. To shed some light on the situation I am in care...

Teen, 15 years old Written byLeah is bae November 9, 2016

Horrible

Hello I am complaining about snapchat it lost mine and Reece's streak without putting a timer on it also won't work for half of Bolton and keeps saying could not refresh I think this is disappointment to the world it has given Snapchat a bad name please can you sort it out cause it is getting me stressed
Teen, 16 years old Written byDark_skinnttt_babbie January 13, 2020

It's cool

I LOVE SNAPCHAT. This is how you can share your life and talk with friendssss.
Teen, 14 years old Written byembarassed January 5, 2020

annoyed

many parents overreact about snapchat being used for hooking up with someone or sending nudes or bullying someone but that is not even close to that it is just a way to communicate with people who don’t have your number and getting to know them. however i only got snapchat and let me tell you it’s really embarrassing to tell you classmates and friends oh sorry i don’t have snapchat and they ask why and you have to explain why and the rest of the class hears. also speaking from experience when all of your friends have it they are like did you see this persons story and you feel left out or when they forget you don’t have snapchat and want to tag you ina pic on their story and you have to keep telling them over and over again that you don’t have snapchat. also there are settings that can be turned on and off that keep certain people from seeing or adding you on snapchat and you can turn ghost mode on for snap map so no one can see where you are or you can just turn off snap map. i don’t understand what the big fuss is about it’s really not that bad at all.

Kid, 9 years old January 2, 2020

What is wrong with you pepole?

18+ Are you crazy? it is the best app ever! You can make super funny stuff and you can save things without posting them to you story! Note to parents: It is a good app for kids and is super fun! Note to kids: If your mom and dad say no to snapchat then they say no for a reason, you can post things on your story. but if you dont wanna the you dont have to.

Teen, 15 years old Written byRandomteen2426 July 2, 2019

Good app, just requires trust

I will start off by saying that I cannot guarantee that every child will use snapchat appropriately. Due to disappearing pictures that only last 5-10 seconds, there is the true threat of your child partaking in inappropriate behavior online. But at the same time, you as a parent know your child, and if you give them a thorough lecture on only safety, and believe their intentions are good in using the app, there is not much to worry about. Many kids use the app as a way of communication, and for the filters offered by the app, not for the inappropriate activities. So if you trust that your child is a good kid, and you have open conversations with them, your child will most likely cause no problems in using the app.

Teen, 13 years old Written byVkherkher567 January 1, 2020

I love Snapchat!

Snapchat is a amazing way to chat with friends and send pics!

Teen, 14 years old Written bybulldog21 November 20, 2019

Maturity

If you let kids use Snapchat then moniter them. If they do something not appropiate then delete the app. But other wise this app is pretty cool

Teen, 13 years old Written bylominickc May 31, 2015

Know your child

This app can be a great way to share photo's and videos with freinds and it can be terrible it all depends on what you use it for. If you know and trust your child this app should not be a problem. Kids can filter who can send them snaps so they can not get snaps from people they don't know or do not trust. Let your child know that they should only let trusted friends snap them and to block any unwanted snappers. Letting your child use Snapchat is giving them the opportunity to use it inappropriately. Make sure your child knows what to do and do not want them doing with snapchat. Giving your child the responsibility to use media safely is giving them the opportunity to learn important new skills on their own, it is trusting them to make their the right choices and not be affected by what others might be doing with snapchat.

Teen, 15 years old Written byjake330 March 1, 2015

Use Caution

I think young, mature kids will have no problem being appropriate; it becomes a problem with older teens who send inappropriate pics. As long as you can trust your teen they should be fine, but also make sure they know that anyone can take a screenshot of their pics! There are several apps that make it possible for people to download the pictures: so just be careful!

Kid, 11 years old November 4, 2014

Appropriate if used correctly

Snapchat is a fun and safe app. However, if kids use it to do inappropriate things, like sexting, then it is not appropriate. There are settings and you can create an account that only certain people can see. But, no matter who you send messages to, they can screenshot the pic. But, the other person is notified if they screenshot it. I have been using snapchat for a good amount of time and it is perfectly fine, because I am responsible about only sending to my friends, and only sending appropriate messages. I think that anyone who is a responsible ten year old or older can be appropriate on this app.

Kid, 11 years old October 19, 2014

Written byAnonymous July 24, 2013

Enable privacy settings and then you have a great way to keep in touch with real life friends

Snapchat is a good app for basically texting but with pictures and for free. I think a 12, maybe 11 year old could handle it well to be honest. There is a setting for private, ie. no one can add you without your permission, and a setting so you can only receive snaps from friends, so I don't worry about seeing bad stuff because I trust my friends. Only add people you have met face to face. Overall this app is a great way to keep in contact, and with all of the privacy settings enabled its mostly safe.