Kid reviews for Snapchat

Send moments in photos, watch curated content; use wisely.

Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2013

Use Wisely.

While using snapchat, a person can take a picture, put a timer on it, (to make it visible for a certain amount of time: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, or 10 seconds) and then you can add a note if you want and then can send it to anyone if you have their snapchat username. Parents would want to be careful to let their child use this app, because there is the possibility of a kid taking innapropriate pictures or adding bad language to the pictures, and the parent would never know because the picture disappears in seconds and you can never find it again. I use it with my friends just for fun, and my parents trust me with what I do with it, and they occasionally look at the pictures my friends send me.

Teen, 16 years old Written bymollycharlotterose July 19, 2014

You just have to make sure you know who your child has as a contact!

I am 16, and I have been using snapchat for a fair amount of time now. I think that it is absolutely fine for most ages - as long as the person using it, and their parent knows about the different settings. For example, my sister has snapchat. She is 9. But, we make sure that in her snapchat settings - only people who she has added as a contact herself can send her snaps. She only has me, my mum and a few of her school friends on snapchat, and no-one else can send her anything. Most of the reviews that say the app can contain violence, sex etc. are bias, since these things only happen if you have people in your contacts who are going to share those things. It is easy to delete people as a contact on snapchat - and even block them, which is unnecessary if you have the correct settings anyway. Obviously bad things can happen with snapchat, but if you are responsible and know how to use it, I can assure you there is nothing to worry about.

Teen, 15 years old Written bySamlovesz March 17, 2013

Not for anyone!!

SnapChat is horrible its just a sexting app basically. Parents dont let your kids get one its just so they can sext boys and pedos they met on instagram or omegle or kik. This is definetaly not for children! You can screen shot pictures but it tells the other person! I heard you can send 30 second videos now. I wouldnt even give this to adults.

Teen, 13 years old Written byCandyMarshmallowGirl July 24, 2013

Enable privacy settings and then you have a great way to keep in touch with real life friends

Snapchat is a good app for basically texting but with pictures and for free. I think a 12, maybe 11 year old could handle it well to be honest. There is a setting for private, ie. no one can add you without your permission, and a setting so you can only receive snaps from friends, so I don't worry about seeing bad stuff because I trust my friends. Only add people you have met face to face. Overall this app is a great way to keep in contact, and with all of the privacy settings enabled its mostly safe.

Kid, 12 years old October 19, 2014

Not a bad app if you look into it.

I have had a snap chat since I was 10 and it's not bad. I can share pictures with my friends and make stories. It's not inappropriate as long as you don't swear or post inappropriate things. My mom and dad have a snapchat and we snap all the time! I think some parents are being way to protective by rating it for kids 15 and up. Really? It's not bad at all. :)

Kid, 10 years old September 21, 2013

Use Responsibly-

I say 11 and up, but you MUST USE RESPONSIBLY. It's a great app!

Kid, 11 years old October 19, 2014

Kid, 12 years old December 28, 2014

I love it!

I love snapchat! I got it a few weeks ago. My parents know I have snapchat. They trust me I won't send inappropriate pictures or use bad language. Snapchat can be dangerous if not used wisely. My privacy setting are so that I can only receive snaps from my friends not any random stranger. If you want snapchat, you need to ask your parents! Snapchat is really fun and I use it like 24/7!

Teen, 16 years old Written byalynichelle May 4, 2013

Snapchat; Use with caution.

If used properly nothing bad should ever happen, some people abuse that & use it for bad things... It will let you know if someone screenshot what you sent them.

Kid, 11 years old April 25, 2015

Safe Snapchatting

Snapchat is safe to use if you put on the only my friends can see it setting on. And ONLY PUT ON FRIENDS THAT YOU HAVE MET FACE TO FACE. Snapchat is a safe way to talk with friends if you follow these rules.

Teen, 13 years old Written bystork13 April 7, 2014

Not the Best Social Media App

Snapchat has definitely come across as a safe, family friendly app that allows teenagers to communicate with other people on the internet who also own the app. I'm sorry to say that it is everything but this. If your child or teenager is responsible and mature enough to follow the do's and don'ts of social media then you probably won't have a problem trusting them with this app. On the other hand, if your child or teen isn't very careful with what they put out on the internet or who they give personal information to, then be very cautious. Snapchat is a photo messaging app geared mainly towards teens. Using the application users can take photos, record videos, add text and drawings, and send them to a controlled list of recipients privately. These sent photos and videos are known as "Snaps". Users set a time limit for how long recipients can view their Snaps (1-10 sec.) after which they will be hidden from the recipient's device and deleted from Snapchat's servers. Snapchat overall isn't a very kid friendly app seeing that most of the users are on it for innapropriate uses (sexting, bullying, gossiping, etc.). Make sure to monitor your child's usage on this app and what things they're sending, especially who they're being sent to.

Teen, 15 years old Written bygirlofthe21stcentury April 10, 2015

Can be used inappropriately...

I use Snapchat quite often. Honestly, it is not quite different from any other messenger app, if used appropriately. I use it to communicate with my friends by sending silly selfies of myself, typically adding text to the snap. It can, however, become misused by sending "sexts." I would say that, as long as it is used age-appropriately and appropriately in general, it should not be harmful to anyone.

Teen, 14 years old Written byeazy__breezy December 22, 2014

Snapchat is made for kids

People need to stop acting like this is meant for only sexting. Its not, most people don't use this for that. Its fine for older tweens and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJoe Dabler October 9, 2013

Be careful and be cautious

I think this a good app just you have to be careful about who your sending pictures to and what you're sending to people.

Kid, 8 years old February 7, 2015

There is a kid version of Snapchat called "Snapkidz". This is why I recommend it for 8 and up.

There is a kid version of Snapchat. It is called "Snapkidz". The reason why it's called "Snapchat" because you take photos and chat at the same time. Anyone who sets their age to under 13 will go to Snapkidz.

Teen, 15 years old Written byjake330 March 1, 2015

Use Caution

I think young, mature kids will have no problem being appropriate; it becomes a problem with older teens who send inappropriate pics. As long as you can trust your teen they should be fine, but also make sure they know that anyone can take a screenshot of their pics! There are several apps that make it possible for people to download the pictures: so just be careful!

Teen, 13 years old Written bywhysosalty January 29, 2017

Essentially Texting

Snapchat is a great app that can be used 100% innocently. Some parents automatically associate this app with sending nudes and talking to strangers, when this is really not the case. It all depends on how much trust you have with your kid. Make sure they know not to give out their username to strangers, and if they aren't doing that, there really isn't a threat, because they can only receive snaps from friends they've added. The only people they'll be contacting on there will be their friends, so Snapchat essentially becomes like texting, but way cooler and also a basic necessity in middle and high school. Don't make their life more difficult by restricting something simply because you don't know enough about it. They're already under immense stress from school and life in general, and having to tell other kids that they aren't allowed to have a Snapchat or Instagram is very embarrassing and difficult, and adds even more stress in social aspects of their life. (I speak from a lot of experience.) If you trust them to text you should trust them to snap.

Teen, 15 years old Written bycinnagurl October 6, 2013

Snapchat

What you get all depends on what the person sends you. But snapchat is awesome. i use it all the time to talk to my friends and even my teacher has a snapchat. she snapchats photos of geometric shapes to us. and we get bonus points for snapchatting back geometric art. Snapchat is fine for teens. as long as you use it right the way it was meant to be used you'll be ok.

Teen, 14 years old Written byPinkalicious28 March 23, 2013

Fun, but use wisely and cautiously

I have a snapchat, and it is really fun to use. People need to know no matter how long they set the timer for, someone can screenshot it and send it around. If you use it wisely, it is fun.

Teen, 15 years old Written bycheza June 29, 2014

Convenient but potentially dangerous

Snapchat is good app when used for the right purpose. It's a convenient way to share pictures and videos with your friends. However, some take advantage of the timer on the pictures they share and use this to sext. When getting this app, remind your kids that even though these pictures are deleted after a few seconds, people can still find ways to save them.