All parent member reviews for 1984

Parent Written byAllie7768 March 25, 2012

Great for anyone

I read this book when I was 11. It was a real eye opener. ANYONE and EVERYONE should read it.
Adult Written byfriedch1cken June 9, 2012

Everyone should read 1984

There is intense detail in this book. Some kids won't have the capability to understand it. Mature 15 year olds should read it. There is some mild violence and sexual scenes described. This book is beautiful, and has a great message.
Parent Written byTHE ADULT April 26, 2013

Only for intellectual people.

AMAZING! However there is a lot of sex. This book was meant for adults and mature people, only stupid people, and immature people would even be bothered about the sex. Only for intellectual people.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bygrenada September 25, 2012

Subtle

Not a great book at all for any child under 18 years of age. There really is no need to have the sex scenes. Adults like that stuff kids dont need it let them be kids for goodness sake!
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy February 13, 2013

More vulgar than the average sci-fi novel.

This sci-fi novel is OK.I've read better though.Some parts of the novel were great and clever.Some parts were too vulgar though.
Adult Written byJEDI micah February 13, 2013

This is a weird sci-fi novel.

When I read this book in English class, I really didn't understand it. Is it suppose to be a sci-fi novel or a satire? If it is trying to be a satire, then it's not working for me. I don't want to give any spoiler alerts for those who haven't read the book, but the ending is kinda disappointing and weird. But the reason why I gave this book 3 stars instead of 1 or 2 is because it is amusing how this book was written in 1948, and the author wanted to show what 1984 would be like. Obviously, he wasn't right on it! As most of us are aware, there is no superpower named "Oceania". That is what humors me: How people back in the 40's actually thought what the future 80's would be like. If you're looking for a silly novel like this one to read, then this is your kind of book. But just to warn you, there are some sexual references and violence in this book that might not be the right choice for younger teens. I don't think they'll have the desire to read this novel anyway!
Parent Written byOmar Sharif July 12, 2013

Good for intelegent kids

Alot of the reviews said it was weird and just a vulgar sufi novel. It is not, 1984 has a message that is still relevent today. It does have sex and toucher but that only enhances the meaning.
Adult Written byverum May 10, 2012

Exceptional

One of the best books I've ever read, and one of the only I've been able to re-read again and again without it getting old. A powerful look at the concepts of totalitarianism, communism, dystopianism, the concept of society itself. Contains violence and sex, but nothing is thrown in for mere shock value; everything is in context and plot-relevant. I suggest you begin reading this book immediately, if you haven't already read it. And if you have, read it again. Now.