Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for A Court of Wings and Ruin: A Court of Thorns and Roses, Book 3

Gore, sex, epic battle against evil in twisty faery tale.

Based on 1 review

Adult Written byLia C. December 19, 2017

Excellent finale to a brilliant series!

This is one of my all-time favorite series and I was so happy with ACOWAR! Many reviews point to the amount of graphic sex and violence, but while those are certainly present, I think that they add to the depth of the world, characters, and plot and serve to emphasize the emotional impact of war and the importance of strong, healthy relationships. Still, I don't think that the themes in the series or the level of adult content is appropriate for younger teens and tweens since it might somewhat desensitize the more impressionable kids to real world events. It is much more mature than any other book on a YA shelf and fits into the New Adult category that is rarely labeled at libraries and booksellers. I'm mature for my age (18) and I was perfectly fine reading this book at 17 and the first two at 16 so I would definitely recommend them to other teens like me or a little younger. Also, for those who are concerned about/sensitive to profanity, I will point out that this series uses f**k rarely, but when it does it is in the literal sense, as a verb, not as an expletive. And I haven't seen other reviews that mention this, but the word c**k is used a handful of times, too.