Kid reviews for A Curse So Dark and Lonely: Cursebreaker, Book 1

Modern "Beauty" tale has complex characters, gore, humor.

Teen, 15 years old Written byUnacorn December 5, 2020

Completely amazing book!

This book may be triggering to those who are prone to depression, suicidal thoughts, and alcohol abuse. If that is not something that affects you, I highly recommend ACSDAL. It's my second favorite book I've read this year (after Where the Crawdads Sing, which is mindblowingly amazing) and it emotionally affected me so much. I could totally sympathize with Rhen and his suffering was so real to me. Harper and Grey are were pretty cool. One of the main characters had cerebral palsy, another main character was African-American, and there was an MM couple, so yay for well-done representation! Everyone is ready for different books at different times, and although I recommend this novel for age 15+ (I think adults would enjoy it as well as teens) since I don't think I would have been ready for it at 14 or younger, you/your child may understand and enjoy the novel at this age. I'm very much looking forward to reading book #2 of this series!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySarina16 November 17, 2020

Great book!

This was a wonderful retelling of beauty and the beast where a modern day girl with cerebral palsy from Washington D.C gets sucked into a fantasy world of a Prince, a curse, and a beast. Although it has a scene where the prince mentions trying to harm himself this is a great action packed romance with wonderful role models.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMaddogmoos123 March 16, 2021

Original and awesome

It was a great and original Beauty and the Beast retelling. About a girl who gets sucked into a magical world full of secrets. Such an amazing book.

Teen, 15 years old Written bynerdybookworm11 May 26, 2020

Fantastic Beauty and the Beast retelling

This was a great retelling of Beauty and the Beast. There was some gore and violence depicted, but I think that anyone 13+ should be able to handle it. There was some romantic tension between the two main characters and a little bit of kissing. Characters occasionally drink wine, and one character gets drunk. There was also mention of rape, but nothing was described graphically. One of the characters, Harper, has cerebral palsy, and the author includes a website for people to go to if they want to learn more about this condition. I really enjoyed this book and definitely plan on reading more books by this author.

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written byscarletandwolfa... February 26, 2020

Great!

Amazing book! Good romance, drama, and a bit of violence. Only part that scared me was one where there was a room full of blood described quite well, but the main character comes in right after and it turns into a cute chapter lol. Also this is a beauty and the beast retelling and I looove retellings so if you do too this is great :) a few swear words but nothing too bad.

Teen, 16 years old Written byLeilavioleta April 2, 2019

I loved this

This is a beauty and the beast retelling with cerebral palsy representation. There is mention of rape and suicide, but not into too much detail. I think this would be great for any teens.
Kid, 12 years old June 14, 2021

One of the best books I’ve read in a while.

This brings retellings to a whole new level. I loved this book and would definitely recommend it. It has quite a bit of violence and some sexual references yet that is it but just check the book before reading it.

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written byGrayraven08 January 23, 2020

Loved It!!

I loved this book so much! It has great characters and a great story. There is a bit of a relationship between the two main characters, but that is pretty much it.