Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for A Light in the Attic

Poet delivers both a moral lesson and mischief.

Adult Written byThornfellow October 6, 2015

Shel Rhymes With Bell

Shel Silverstein was one of the best poets who ever lived. His material for children -- while not comparable to that of Dr. Seuss -- is creative, well written, and highly entertaining to read. At times, however, some of the subject matter can be less than desirable for really young children. But when one considers the subject matter in old fashioned nursery rhymes the term 'less than desirable' could have a very broad definition. As for myself, I would not hesitate to read most of this book to children 8 and up, and some of it to children as young as 3.
Adult Written bylolalolacherrycola April 9, 2008

Introduction to Poems

My 8 year old son brought this book home from school. He really enjoyed it. I bought him a copy and we have read it together. I would recommend it to other parents with children over 7 years old.
Adult Written byfr0stedshad0w April 9, 2008
Parent of a 2, 6, 11, and 14 year old Written byKidsFaith2018 July 8, 2018

I read this book when I was a lttle girl

it's really a good way to start your kids to independent reading

Adult Written byWesley D. June 3, 2018

A bratty girl gets eaten by a cannibal

BOOOOOOOOO in a poem called "ladies first" a girl always says "ladies first" despite the fact she hangs out with girls. In the end a troop captures all of them and takes them to "fry 'em up Dan" the cannibal (whoever is a king) and offpage offword EATS THE GIRL PUTS HER IN A PAN AND FRYS HER TO DEATH!!! this poem should be 17+ in another a boy crys himself to death WOULD NOT RECCOMEND READ DON'T BUMP THE GLUMP