Kid reviews for A Monster Calls

Haunting tale of a boy coming to terms with mother's cancer.

Teen, 15 years old Written byShowman movie13 May 5, 2019

sad and intense

This book is very good. I loved this book. amazing and sad. I couldn't take everything in. I loved this book with great messages and role models.

Teen, 13 years old Written byWalkedRelic089 April 6, 2017

Brilliant novel will leave you in tears

Patrick Ness' beautiful novel based on Siobhan Dowd's idea teaches children about death and loss while having a strong cast and gripping story. The book is eloquently written, I finished the whole thing in a day. Without spoiling anything, I will say that the main character is strong and does not give up, even when all hope was lost. The stories and messages in the novel teaches children that there is no complete good and complete bad, and that good people can do bad things to benefit others. Some characters who hate each other grow to love one another and accept the situation. The book also deals with mental health and expressing how you really feel, not just how others want you to feel. This book is essential, and needs to read by all. One of the best novels ever written.

Teen, 17 years old Written byrobratings8901 December 16, 2012

what commonsense media missed:

I like to post what content commonsense missed, and Here's what gives: Violence: a monster destroys a parsonage's home, A huge, much scarier monster destroys Connor's mother in a dream, and the tales have violence as well.
Sex: There is one part that is implied that a couple has sex in one of the monster's tales (...but soon they were naked in each others arms)
Language: There is a use of the phrase: dammit!
Drugs, etc : Con's gram smokes, his father drinks wine at a restaurant.

Kid, 10 years old November 25, 2018

A Monster Calls, a MUST READ!

I recommend this book because it is all about the truth and it takes great determination and effort to do what Connor did. Connor’s mother has cancer and Connor is very worried, and wonders about what he can do to help. Connor unconsciously calls upon a kind monster that seems to be in his dreams but is actually real. The monster wants the truth about Connor but Connor is hesitant whether to trust the monster or not. The monster warns Connor that after the monster tells three stories, Connor will have to tell the truth or Connor will regret it.
This story is the right mix of sadness and joy, anger and forgiveness. Connor is brave and mentally strong character. The monster is a yew tree, which is also a symbol of the medicine that his mother is using.
Connor is determined to make his mother live.
The book contains some pictures that are dark and could be considered scary. There is no romance. Besides the pictures, the rest of the book is not too scary. The only act of violence is where Connor gets revenge on a nasty bully, Harry, by injuring him badly. I thought that Connor should have gotten in a bit more trouble but nothing too severe like being expelled. Maybe help Harry carry his books. The rest of the book is pretty peaceful. One note to parents: there is a death in the book. As a whole, the book is sad but very inspiring.
I saw only one half swear. I saw no drugs/drinking. No sex or consumerism. I think A Monster Calls is an excellent book to do for guided reading. People who are compassionate and open-minded would get the most benefit out of the book.

Teen, 14 years old Written byEnglishPenguin June 14, 2016

Amazing book feels simple, but is wonderfully complex

Firstly this book is dark, sad, and depressing. Now since we covered that we can all talk about how ridiculously great this book was. The main parental concern for the book is above, really this books theme is the only concern. Patrick Ness is a brilliant author and this is a good preview of his ability, even though the idea was borrowed from another author. Another great element of this book is the artwork, and there is lots of it. The book is also short, I read it in perhaps three hours, its that good of a book. I would recommend this to anyone, but remember its dark, sad, and depressing, so if all you read is diary of a wimpy kid, its not for you, (though you should still read it.)

Teen, 15 years old Written bybaesings123 May 16, 2020

my opinion.

I had very low expectations for this book. I've had it since 2016 when it was translates to Icelandic but i was 11 when i got it. i never read it because it looked like a book for older kids. But recently I read it for school and I realized that I was right. This book goes into detail about cancer and loosing a family member. I really recommend this book as you really learn a lot about the subject, however if your kid is very sensitive about cancer, bullying or losing a family member I recommend waiting a few months.

Teen, 13 years old Written byRandom person i... January 22, 2020

Meh

I heard about this book everywhere online so I decided to read it and see if it’s really that good. To be honest the book is kinda overrated and in my opinion, cringe. While all of the other reviews give it a 11+ I really think that it is 8+. Just because it has deaths doesn’t mean that kids can’t read it. It’s not like they will get depression or something.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymurdermystery January 3, 2020

Sad

A MONSTER CALLS (BOOK) is a sad book about a boy dealing with the fear of loosing his mother. There are plenty of good messages, but the story is very sad.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAbigail18817 December 10, 2018

A Monster Calls

This is great and touching story that made me cry! I loved this book and all of the positive concepts in it. It is, however, violent and is not for younger kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBentleDolores August 10, 2018

A Monster Calls. Patrick Ness has done a good job - Siobhan Dowd would've been proud.

This is an enthralling and gripping novel that can be likened to a moralistic tale. I can't really remember too much of it because I had read it a while ago, but what I do remember is that I had liked the novel very much.

Note to fans of this book: Siobhan Dowd would be a good place to start reading books like A Monster Calls. Try getting The London Eye Mystery. It's here on Common Sense Media.

Teen, 15 years old Written byAdam Atom April 30, 2018

Not a Children's Book; Very Deep and Emotional

If you pick up this book and your kids want to read it, tell them to wait until they're older. This book is very deep, talking about themes of death, grief, and depression. It is a book that young kids will not enjoy, but older kids (12 or older) will very much love.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBooks78 April 9, 2018

Great book that makes you weep

Amazing book that made me cry. A must read. I bought the illustrated edition and would definitely recommend it as it’s really pretty.

Teen, 16 years old Written byaw109 August 14, 2017

A beautiful book.

A beautiful book that will capture both children and adults. Also a very challenging book, it changed the way I think and judge myself and opened my eyes to many things I had not seen before. Quite a short read- I would recommend definitely, it would be a good book for parents to read to kids.

Teen, 14 years old Written byPocketlite20 July 28, 2017

Powerful and Emotional

A story that many people can certainly relate to. This book is so well written and expressed that it is hard forcing yourself to not connect. Will definitely make you think about yourself and your family after reading.
Teen, 13 years old Written byYeahbruh54321 March 5, 2017

Very Addicting but sad and emotional

Patrick Ness is now my new King cause I love this book. This book is so creative and to do with the outside world, the realistic world. Patrick Ness has used genres in a way I couldn't think of. He would use horror, then realism and even fantasy all at the same time.

Teen, 13 years old Written by-chloeee- February 6, 2017

An Amazing, Moving Book

This book is brilliant. Absolutely amazing. Once you start reading, you cannot put it down until finished. The development of the characters is beautiful and the descriptive language is used perfectly and makes you feel the desired effect. There's not one thing I would change about this book, it tells such a moving tale and teaches a very valuable lesson.

Kid, 12 years old November 11, 2016

Beautiful!

This book is amazing. It's also sad, though. I recommend to everybody over the age of ten. You'll probably enjoy it most if you go to a quiet place by yourself to read it. This book is really good but common sense media missed a few important things. There are some cuss words. (nothing super bad.) There are two "hell" and one "dammit." Conor's grandma almost said "hell" but stopped herself. There is one part with some sex. It was in one of the monster's stories and "their passions got the better of them, and it was not long before they where asleep and naked in each other's arms." As the monster said. There is some violence. Someone is murdered in one of the monster's stories, bullies trip and even punch coner, and coner loses his temper and hurts one of the bullies really bad. Coner's dad drinks shin in one part and it talked about hospital patients sneaking a cigarette outside. But it's still a really good book, if you ask me. Thanks for reading my review and good luck with finding a better book than this if you decide your kid isn't ready for it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byYoung nerdy critic November 1, 2016

Beautifully dark book about coming to terms with grief.

This gripping portrayal of a thirteen year old boy dealing with his mother's imminent death left me winded, both physically and emotionally. It is very dark and may be boring and confusing to younger audiences. There are some frightening scenes, most including the monster.
In summary, great read, but will most likely either go over younger kid's heads, or will absolutely envelop them, then punch them in the gut with it's sheer grief. Hats of to Patrick Ness.

Teen, 13 years old Written bylove_live_laugh September 24, 2016

Wonderful

This was a wonderful book and one of my favorites. When you read this book the message sticks with you. It had me crying at the end. The book (or at least for me) was very emotional, but older kids can handle it for sure. I think a good age is determined based on level of understanding because in some parts it can be confusing as to what is real and what is in Conner's mind for some kids. The monster's stories can also be challenging to understand at times. However I loved this book and would give it two thumbs up!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMarcelo14 October 21, 2015

Astonishing

This book left me with a craving feeling for love and it was really well discussed of different emotions. It also helped tell me about confronting our inner demons.