Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for A Song of Fire and Ice (A Game of Thrones) Series

Dark, violent epic upends the usual fantasy clichés.

Adult Written bygkiller457 June 22, 2016

NOT AS BAD as PEOPLE say

This book is an epic read and has heavy violence and some sexuality throughout. Although many say it is to graphic me and my husband both agree that this book is not very bad. The TV show is a different story but for this book I rate violence and some non graphic sexuality. Don't buy into the bad reviews like this book is vulgar.

Adult Written byPaige S. August 4, 2016

Amazing, intricate story. Not as bad as everyone depicts it to be

First off let me tell you that this is one of the best books ever written. Its intricate themes, plot and characters leave you begging for more, eagerly flipping through the pages. People depict this book to be one of too much violence, sex and bad role models. Although this is true to some degree not all of it is accurate. The book does have some sex, but not nearly as graphic as the movie. Yes there is swearing, but I'm pretty sure your kids hear more swear words on the school bus then they will in this book. And finally yes, there is drinking/smoking.But not anything too extreme. The genius of the book out weighs all of its negatives. In conclusion, I believe that this book would be fit for a mature 11-12 year old that can handle some intense stuff.
Parent of a 4, 7, 7, 7, and 13 year old Written byEvelynn Hale November 21, 2017

This Is NOT A Book For Children!

I did not ever consider writing a review of this book before today. I was picking up my nephew from school and one of his classmates(4th grade) was reading Game of Thrones! Apparently, her mother was totally fine with it(I waited and asked her mom) I myself have read Game of Thrones and enjoyed it but would certainly never allow my kids to read it in my house. The first page starts with a very detailed scene of a man being decapitated. The book also had countless of sex scenes, one of which was twincest. This is not a book for children! I have no idea how that mother could totally be fine with her daughter reading this book. So please let your children wait till they are old enough to actually enjoy the book.

Parent Written byElisabeth F. October 13, 2017

Game of thrones

Game of thrones is an adults novel,that's true.But some kids can read it,understand It and like it. It depends on the person, bit I think that's mature kids of more than eleven or twelve can read it...

Adult Written byUsername101 May 7, 2017

Extremely goooooooooooooooooood...

This book series is the best book series in the whole world, it is a bit graphic though, the most graphic part about it is the violence and language... it starts off not that bad but eventually it gets more frequent. There is sex in it as well but it's very infrequent and rarely graphic.

Adult Written byNafi S. January 13, 2017

A great read for a mature reader.

This series has extreme violence, torture, horrors of war, sex, gang rape and mature themes that are not suitable for children. Its a great series, but is certainly not for children. I recommend 16+, though a mature teenager at 14-15 could also handle these books on a case by case basis.

Adult Written bybrockblack October 13, 2018

SERIOUSLY!?

people actually say this is for adults? i haven't watched the show or anything but there are like two lines that i wouldn't let my kid read in this book and i can always scratch them out i mean common the book is huge it would be a shame to ban him from reading a good book because of a few scenes (that aren't as bad as you would imagine)