Kid reviews for Across Five Aprils

This historical tale is captivating and memorable.

Teen, 17 years old Written byellaeeee May 1, 2018

TERRIBLE!!!!!!!

I am an avid reader, and love history books. I figured for a school project I'd give this book a shot! It was horrible, took me forever to get through and bored me to death! The grammar was less than ok, and the slang was hard to understand (even for someone over 11th grade). The details were not necessarily historically correct, and overall the book provided little use for my project. Absolutely no character development, and all the book talked about was how Jethro the boring little boy went from his boring little town to an 'exciting' restaurant. Then it talked about how he said this or that or this to a store manager and then went on about exactly how he filled up a bucket of water for however long. SO BORING!!!! I found most of it disturbing, from a 9 year old boy recalling his sister's morbid death to his older sister's young marriage to an older man. Please save yourselves the time and DO NOT READ THIS BOOK!!!!! I wish there was a 0 star button!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written bycarmels June 19, 2017

Boring

I could barley get through this book and don't recommend it.
Kid, 12 years old May 9, 2015

Worst Book Ever

This is the worst book I have read in my entire life. The plot makes absolutely no sense, you never know which character is which, the dialect in the book is so terrible that when my father had to read it to me, even he had trouble with it. I would only recommend this book to people looking to find the worst book in the world. The best part of this book was finishing it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFeatherSniget February 5, 2012

Don't read!

It was sooo boring. I've read a lot of books in my life and this is the most boring. I've never read a book so bad.

Teen, 14 years old Written byElbee1996 April 26, 2011

WAIST OF TIME!!!!!!

THIS IS THE WORST BOOK EVER WRITTEN IN HISTORY!! I had to read it for a history class and i hate it! It is the most BORING book ever published! It is so STUPID! It goes on and on and on about every little detail! For example, "Jethro went into town, he got to eat at a RESTAURANT and he got APPLE PIE! He walked with his right foot, then his left, right, left, right, left, and on and on and on. Then! He sat down then he carefully lifted his pie to his mouth and chewed slowly, savoring every piece...... and on and ON and ON!" Except in the book, it would have gone 20 pages about HOW he chewed and so on and so fourth.... AGAIN THIS IS EXTREMELY BORING. this book should really be revised to this: "Jethro is a very boring 10 year old boy who lives in a very boring town with his very boring family. Anyone who reads this book is promised to die of boredom. THE END." ;) I would NNNNNOOOOOTTTTT recomend this book to ANYONE!!!!!!

Teen, 16 years old Written byhamstergurl09 December 31, 2010

Dull.

I thought this book would be pretty good. Unfortunately, it was incredibly dull and monotonous to read. Here's where the author went wrong: she chose to make the protagonist a person in the Civil War's younger brother. She should have made the protagonist somebody who was actually in the Civil War. It would have been much better that way.
Teen, 14 years old Written by-insert usernam... October 29, 2010
The book is quite violent in some parts, but more than that, it's just BORING. I had to read it for school, and I have to admit, though it's NOT a good idea, I did skip some pages. At the climax it got better, but by the climax there were only about 30 or 40 pages left in the book. I don't really suggest reading it to anybody, because I don't want to waste their time.

Kid, 11 years old April 14, 2010

not too great

Across Five Aprils is by far the worst book i've ever read. i thought that the book would place scenes at the real battle, not just talk about it! It just talked about love or death, but........ if you love educational books than this one is for you.

Kid, 11 years old September 29, 2009

terrible book

I hated this book i had to read it for a book report and i fell asleep in every chapter im not even kidding. i DO NOT recommend this book for any person dead or alive

Teen, 14 years old Written bykatielovesyou221 April 9, 2008

i hated this book

i had to read this book for language arts and i hated it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhowiewu0402 May 12, 2020

It bores you to death

This book sucks, bores the life OUT of you. Everyone is so disconnected and boring. It is a war realistic fiction. Yet it has no excitement of war and battle. The book feels like chewing rubber.
Teen, 14 years old Written by..sunny.. April 23, 2020

Don't even waste your time

I absolutely love reading, if you give me a book I'll read it in a heart beat, Keep that in mind.
This book was so insanely boring omg, don't even waste your time trying to read this. If you're into books that make you want to gauge your eyes out go for it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygucciganger November 6, 2018

DONT READ

THIS BOOK IS A PIECE OF TRASH ITS THE MOST BORING BOOK U WILL EVER READ!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bySamantha17 May 28, 2018

DON'T READ AFA

I had to read this book for school, and I got to be honest, it's all caps HORRIBLE. Almost all of the words they used I had to look up in the dictionary and the dialogue is hard to read. They should make this book a PUNISHMENT for a criminal.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydakukokoro September 23, 2017

Boring

Across Five Aprils was uninteresting, probably recommended only by adults. I don't think any child would find this book intriguing without having issues or something. There was no character development for the main character, and the main character didn't even have a large point in the book. I gave up reading the book after chapter 10, because it was so boring and uninteresting. It was so stupid, even the romance didn't touch me like romance probably should. There was death and tragic backstories that didn't even apply much to the future chapters. The only thing that was a little interesting was the part where they were describing the runaways and deserters, which in my opinion was still boring. If your teacher forces you to read this like mine did, I can relate to you.

I would not recommend this as a book. Do not read it. It is a terrible book for children to read and I believe that it will waste your time to the extreme.

Teen, 13 years old Written byFedora14 March 15, 2011

Just not interesting enough

It was kind of boring compared to the other Civil War books that are out there

Teen, 17 years old Written bythe Log May 11, 2021

This book makes me rot inside

I like most books especially war books, but this book makes me angry just hearing about it. I had to do this in 8th grade and it was sooo boring that it makes boredome look like nothing. If you like hearing about potatoes then this is the book for you.
I don't like to give a lot of bad reviews but I have to on this. I am warning you. If you hear this book coming up. RUN!
Teen, 13 years old Written byghstudent January 22, 2021

GREAT BOOK!

This book is amazing!! Every character is extremely believable! The story is realistic and moving. Plus the Author's talents and word choice is AMAZING! Just read the story aloud and it is a feast for the ears! I find that reading it aloud also helps me understand the dialogue better. And reading the dialogue out loud makes the people seem more real! The book has an amazing theme and all-in-all is really worth the read. I read it for school and loved every word of it!

Teen, 14 years old Written byBadBoy134 November 19, 2020

One Of My Favorite Books

I read the reviews and don't listen too any of them. I am South African but I appreciate the time and care Irene Hunt took to write this beautiful novel. Jethro is someone everyone(even adults) should look up to. That being said I highly recommend this very engaging and educational book.

Kid, 10 years old September 18, 2019

The Best Book Ever.

I loved this book. I had to read it as a school project and I loved it. It had fantastic character development and great dialogue and emotions.