All parent member reviews for After the First Death

Parent Written bypancake kitty January 24, 2015

Parents beware

I read this book when my 13-year-old child read it for school and disliked it intensely. It is a difficult read, and many kids will not fully grasp the details due to a constantly-changing narrative viewpoint. The plot revolves around a bus of 5-year-old children being kidnapped by terrorists. The bus is driven by a 16-year-old girl. All of the 5-year-olds are drugged. Parents should know that two of the little children are murdered by terrorists in this book; one overdoses on the forced drugs and one is shot and killed. The murders are celebrated by the terrorists in front of the media. Parallels are drawn between the United States military and terrorists. Two major characters commit suicide, a father and his teenage son. The girl is murdered point-blank in the end while begging for her life and crying for her mom and dad. The ending is unresolved with the main terrorist escaping and murdering yet another person. There is no doubt this book would be rated R as a movie due to drugging/overdosing of children and violence against children. Educators who select this book for children under 16 are baffling to me, given the wide range of fiction available today. Hideous book, parents beware.
Parent of a 16 year old Written byLittle D October 13, 2009
i think it's good but you need to be the right age to read it and it jumps around alot
Adult Written bybubbybaba April 9, 2008
Parent Written byCSM Screen name... April 12, 2014

Parent of a 13 year old

I would not recommend this book. Even thought there is no outright sex, there is sexuality. One of the main characters sees the girl changing clothes on the bus, naked, and his mind wanders back to and fantasizes about that throughout the book. I was disappointed Common Sense Media didn't allude to any of the sexuality.
Parent Written bypudgekadudge February 17, 2012

review for After The First Death

I didn't realy like it. I didn't like the fact that it didn't neccessarily end, and their isn't evn a sequel. why would you make an ending thats basicaly, to be continued... but it will never be continued. it was a good story but it wasn't wraped up at the end. it was realy confusing until you realized that it was Bens father in the chapters talking, not ben. i'd give it like a three the fact that it will never be finished makes me give it a 2.
Adult Written byanunu July 28, 2010
Parent of a 17 year old Written bykghasog November 17, 2009
i like it
Parent of a 17 year old Written byutdc November 4, 2009
I got confused when I read this book I think this book sucks because I didn't under stand it
Adult Written byreader1 July 23, 2009

awesome book

very good book shows struggles between man vs man and man vs self educates on how people with different cultures reacts to different situations good pshcological thriller
Adult Written byluvbubbl3 April 23, 2009

I Have Not Finished Reading iT...

I will like to finsh reading iT...
Adult Written byMRSCOSMO April 9, 2008