All parent member reviews for Akata Witch

Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 7, 2012

akata witch

from most people’s? Anatov, the children’s juju teacher, tells Sunny that for Leopard People, their most powerful magic lies in qualities others may see as negative. For Sunny, her albinism, which she’s always hated, allows her to become invisible. Can you think of other so-called negative qualities that could turn into positive magic? Sunny is severely reprimanded for using her juju powers to win a fight with a non-magic classmate who makes fun of her. Why do you think the Leopard People consider this such a serious crime?
Parent Written byMsMoss April 13, 2016

Great read but NOT suitable for younger children at all!

I bought this for my nine year old having heard it was like "a Nigerian Harry Potter". In fact, in a lot of ways it is — better in parts, arguably. However, when the book arrived I saw it had a serial killer in it, so I thought I'd read it first. So glad I did — book is fab up until about page 80 or so and then suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, appears a graphic depiction of the murder and mutilation of a young child! The mutilations continue and I decided it was in no way suitable for my son, and also that I couldn't really read it to him and just bowdlerise it as the grusome fates of the children (not the main characters, but still) are integral to the plot. I did finish it — in fact it's something of a page turner — which is why it's a shame it won't be suitable for my child for at least another five years or so. I would definitely recommend it to teens who are used to some of the violence in the likes of the Hunger Games but I think even saying 12+ is pushing it a bit tbh.