Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Allegiant: Divergent, Book 3

Controversial finale to a thrilling dystopian trilogy.

Parent of a 8, 10, and 12 year old Written bySLKbooklover January 18, 2014

Appropriate end to the series, but not as compelling as the first two books.

A little slower read than the first two books. Still good because you want to know how it all ends. You find out more about Tris' family and the whole secret behind the Divergent status. Since it is the third book, the sexual overtones between the characters escalate quite a bit. The ending was a bit surprising and to be honest, I thought the last ten pages or so were long winded. Overall though, I thought it was a fitting end to the series.
Adult Written byWiseParent13 January 8, 2014

Concerned

The book should be for a more mature teenager like between 15 and 16 years of age not 13 because of the language and because of the love scenes.
Adult Written byartsmom September 23, 2015

Not for tweens or youngest teens

Honestly, I did not read the whole book, so I'm not really commenting on its literary merits. It way well have value for mid-teens to older teens. I skimmed the book, because (after being away from home for a few days) I saw that my husband had let our 12-year-old check this out from the library even though it was marked "Teen" and I had cautioned him about doing this. I found the passionate "kissing" scene noted in other reviews and am in agreement with other parents who find this objectionable for tweens and young teens. The Common Sense Media reviewer says that there is nothing explicit, but I think that a blow-by-blow description of taking shirts off while worrying about being too flat-chested, the kissing of stomachs, the sliding of thumbs below the waistline of jeans, the feeling of lying together skin-to-skin is pretty explicit stuff for tweens and younger teens. FYI, I do not consider myself terribly conservative, and I am not a religious conservative. However, I don't think kids this age needs to "go there" with a character they have come to identify with. Sure, it's one thing to know about this stuff (yes, I've had talks with DD about sex) but another to get into the head of someone experiencing it a if it's happening in the moment. Doesn't matter whether "sex" technically occured" it's still a strong sexual scene. And yes, all the strong themes of deaths of main characters is a lot of heavy stuff to process at this age. Some children/tweens/ young teens are very precocious intellectually (and have read just about every available book for their age-group) yet are sensitive emotionally...it is tough to find reading that is challenging, interesting and yet age-appropriate. My daughter loved the earlier books in the series but THIS book is out of line for a 12-year-old. Too bad the earlier books hook tweens in...of course, they then don't want to wait two or three years to read the conclusion. Guess I'll have to have a talk to my daughter about the book tonight...a talk I'd rather not have to do.

Adult Written byCupcakesRock March 2, 2016

Wow

Really good

Educational Value
Parent Written byWillow Green February 10, 2016

Amazing but sad

Has a love scene in it, is violent, people swear, but over all Allegiant is a great book. But warning, veeeeeerrrrrrryyyy sad ending.

Educational Value
Adult Written byJulieMom March 21, 2015

Swearing and Sex Ramped up Big Time

From the opening chapter of the book, you can guess what happens in the end because of the dual narration. Cheap way to end a series. The book was disappointing in many respects, namely because Tris and Four narrate chapters, but there is no distinguishing traits in their narration. I had to look back to the chapter titles many times while reading to remind myself who was narrating the chapter. The swearing and sexual content were ramped way up in this book. I felt both were unnecessary, and took away from the story. Sensual writing has no part in books aimed at young readers. And seeing here that many parents allowed their 10 and 11 year olds to read the first book...this one is not for them at all! There is not a lot of redemptive material in this book either. Tris is too concerned for her brother to think clearly, and makes decisions that I felt were weak. They may seem strong and selfless on the surface, but I think she is just confused because she doesn't know who she is supposed to be anymore. Many questions are left unanswered, and the way the whole 'mystery' of the factions, etc. was revealed left gaping holes. Overall, I thought this book was a big let-down and I wish I spent my money on something else.

Adult Written bypaigeer October 15, 2014

Loved the first two, but...

I heard that the ending of this book was controversial, and I agree. I wish I could rewrite the last 50 pages. Kids who you care about die, and my personal opinion is that several of the deaths are gratuitious. My child liked the first two books, but I recommended she skip the third book.

Parent Written byEllybelly246 June 13, 2018

The best of the three

This book was the best of the three in the seiries, but I have to say that it had the most confusing twists, like when Uriah had the wall explode behind him, when David shot Tris, or when Evelin and Marcus made a peace agreement. So it was a bit shocking but it was still the best.