Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Animal Farm

Classic satirical allegory about the abuse of power.

Adult Written bythebookreviewer02 December 21, 2014

Appropriate for almost any age, but it will be spoiled if you don't get the message!

This is truly a masterpiece, and, if you choose to read it, you will know the basic gist of Soviet Russia and totalitarianism, both incredibly complex issues, in less than a full day! I was amazed by the sheer magnitude of the message and the many layers waiting to be unraveled. If your child wants to read this book, it's your call whether to let them or not, but be warned! If you read this book without knowing what it's about, the magic of this incredible piece will be lost! They will walk away confused and wondering what the point is. This book is not at all disturbing, especially for young children. Now, I know you're thinking, "What?", but it's true! Young children (minor spoiler) probably won't even know what the glue factory is, and the most disturbing part is that, even though this seems incredibly dystopian, it has happened in real life-several times! In conclusion, if you think your child is ready, suggest and encourage them to read this amazing masterpiece!

Adult Written bydesireeg November 20, 2014

A perfect book.

It is obviously a book informing us about the events leading up to the Russian Revolution of 1917 and then on into the Stalin era in the Soviet Union. I think it is completely appropriate for any age, but you would also have to think about the reading level. But absolutely awesome book, and a good way to give the students a picture in the their heads about the Russian Revolution and how all that came about.

Adult Written byhybridauth_user390 December 14, 2015

Animal Farm

The characters such as Napoleon, Snowball, Boxer, Old Major, Mr. Jones, Clover and more people and animals. They had a great role model as in they never broke character. There was a lot of violence as in others killing others with guns, and hitting them. I gave it ages 12 and up because there is violence in it and I don't think the parents would want their child to look at violence or read about it. I gave it four stars because the book wasn't bad it told you who the characters were, what their role was, the conflict, and themes.

Adult Written byfv224970 December 14, 2015
Adult Written byChristina V. October 6, 2016

Christina's review

The book Animal Farm by George Orwell is about a farm house that has animals who want peace from humans because Mr.Jones the farmer is cruel to them.The story starts off with a boar named Old Major who had a dream where all animals lived in peace without the humans harming them.This idea of animals living in a paradise becomes the motive for three new pigs to try and make it happen

Parent Written byhljfljh j. March 13, 2017

Farts

What would happen if pigs were communist? The book Animal Farm answers this question. The book animal farm by george orwell was written in 1945. The book animal farm is still relevant because the style plot and character development is timeless. First, I will speak of the literary style of george orwell, which is a satirical and humorous way of writing to make dence ideas easier to digest. The style allows for the plot to be presented easily of the revolution of the animals to overthrow the humans. Then the pigs take the place of the humans over time, as the main pig, napoleon, slowly becomes more power hungry and removes rights from the other animals. The style allows for the ideas to be digested easier and for the book not to bog you down in terms and names. The style allows for you to look past the other flaws in the book, and it accentuates the plot another strength of the book. With the accessibility the ability to analyse the text would be very simple which leads to its prominence in the classroom. The plot is fast paced, as it quickly goes from one plot point to another. One of the most interesting parts of the book was the battle of the cowshed a battle where the pigs and other animals keep their independence from the evil dictator. Then in a twist the pig napoleon betrayed snowball the co ruler of the farm and forced him to flee the farm he helped create, and accused snowball of secretly plotting against the farm, justifying his actions.. Then napoleon increased his power in becoming the only ruler of the farm. Then he slowly becomes more and more power hungry over time, shown by his removal of other animals civil rights. The horse boxer is a glaring example as Napoleon sold him to the glue factory after he had a workplace injury. Napoleon then used the money he made to purchase a case of booze. The ending however made me wish for more of the book as the pigs complete their transformation into humans becoming complete dictators of the farm. Then the animals realised the pigs transformation and return to the state they were in at the start of the book. The character development falls short due to the abundance of characters that do reveal more of their character throughout even though they are an important fragment of the puzzle. The most exaggerated evidence is how the animals do not show identify how their life is becoming directly worse over time. As an outside viewer I see the whole puzzle but the animals do not see or acknowledge the facts of how their lives are becoming worse. The identification could’ve caused the animals to show more of their characters as they refute the pigs rule which would have created a happy ending. Or the pigs could’ve crushed the animals, and we could see how the animals deal with a life with essentially no rights. The book also massively developed napoleon, a main character, while boxer another main character has nearly no character shown as he remains ignorant. The book animal farm remains timeless die to the character development, plot and literary style. I would recommend the book animal farm to others, that would like to read a classic. This book remains in the schools due to its political themes, and how it applies in any era with its communist themes. Works cited Orwell, George. Animal Farm. 1st ed., vol. 1, Louisville, KY, American Printing House for the Blind, 1945.

Adult Written byJacqueline R. August 15, 2016

It's a great history lesson and a lesson on human nature.

Adult Written bySerenity N. January 8, 2017
There are lots of animals on the farm, and different types of animals. One night after Mr. Jones the farm owner had when him drank old pig held a meeting and had all the animals meet up in the farm so he can talk about old pigs dream. He had dreamed about all animals being able to live a good life with no one to kill them nor to take taking there baby chicken. He finally thought of peace. He would finally have kids that will sell another day.

Adult Written byBrandon V. December 12, 2016

Brandon's Review

This book is about some farm that was once owned by humans but then the animals from that farm took over. The central conflict is that the animals of the farm do not like the outside world. One of the central themes are that do not do animal abuse. I think this is a good book, the only thing I do not like about this book is that the book has way to much violence but all in all it is a good book. I would recommend this book to people who like violence and politics.

Parent Written byMartin C. May 1, 2017

Book Review: Animal Farm

The animals of the Manor Farm lived badly. Their farmer Mr. Jones, a mean and drunken man, exploited them. One day Old Major, the pig who led the animals, called a meeting of all the animals. Old Major told them about a dream he had the previous night. He had dreamed about an old song called, 'Beasts of England', which started a resistance against the human beings. When Old Major sang the song most other animals started to join in. Everyone was very excited about rebelling. The main conflict was when they had the rebellion with Mr. Jones. When they started to attack many animals were violent and Mr. Jones and his men left running and soon Animal Farm had won the rebellion. One of the themes in the story is to work hard every day because in the story it says " I will work harder " from boxer and every day he pulls up a bolder or when the bolder falls by the other animals and he saves it by how strong he is. I like this book because it shows how nothing can bring them down. In the book it shows how, when they windmill was destroyed nothing stopped them from doing it again and so they did and they made the wall two times thicker than before and stronger. I would recommend this book to other people because it shows great messages for example it says " I will work harder" from boxer because usually when ever he doesn't have motivation to do things or to push him selves that what he says to finish or conquer things. Make sure you read a fun and great book.

Parent of a 5, 8, and 11 year old Written byJen B. August 6, 2018
Adult Written byDr Sebatian Urk... November 26, 2018

capitalist dogs are at it again

classic case of the capitalist fat cats spreading their poisonous propaganda. i say 18+ but really no one should be allowed to watch this. viva la revolution!