Parent reviews for Bats at the Beach

Bats at the Beach Poster Image

No reviews yet.

Add your rating

Fun and Beautiful: But has academic use as well!

I agree that this is a wonderful book, but the low beginning age-range in the rating might give the impression that it's too simplistic for upper elementary. I find that in service of the rhyme scheme, Lies manipulates syntax, metaphor, and contractions in ways that we don't typically find in children's books. This type of word play stands up to close reading by older children studying poetry, and also English Language Learners who need to pick apart a sentence to see how the parts of speech may be out of their typical order. Kids who become accustomed to atypical word order, "missing" articles, etc. won't be so daunted later in life when they study Shakespeare!

Bats go to the beach too

Beautifully illustrated along with a funny story. We live very close to the beach and we go often so this book was a must have in our list, what do you know, we love it! we compare our snacks to the snacks the bats bring, and since we go to the library every weekend too we also bought Bats at the Library. The rhyming is a great way to teach the kids new vocabulary and encourage them to add their own twist.