All parent member reviews for Because of Winn-Dixie

Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Superb novel with superb messages.

Because of Winn-Dixie tells the story of India Opal Buloni, a 10-year-old girl who moves to a new town and doesn't know anybody. She is teased by the kids at church, and she has no friends. But all of that changes one day, when she is sent to a local Winn-Dixie store and finds a stray dog running around. She, much to her father's dismay, adopts the dog, and names it Winn-Dixie after the store. Winn-Dixie helps Opal make plenty of friends in this small southern town. This is a fantastic book, but some of the content may be too much for kids. Opal's mother has abandoned her, and we learn that a little girl's brother drowned. Language consists of a few utterances of "hell". We learn that Gloria and Opal's mother were alcoholics (Gloria also has a "mistake tree" that has beer bottles hanging from it). However, the book has wonderful messages of tolerance and friendship. This is a great book for kids 8 and older.
Adult Written byirenew April 9, 2008

Beautifully written, moving story. A quick read.

This was a lovely story with a lot of well-written imagery that kids can understand. The story has some sad issues: a mother that has left and another minor characters brother has drowned, but I think the book deals with them in a manner that children can understand and empathize.The main character is a young girl who learns, through the loyalty of her dog, that life is full of surprises and we grow through our experiences. I read this story with my 7 year-old and we were able to talk about these issues together. The chapters are short and make for perfect "bedtime" reading.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bysarahughart February 7, 2013

Better for 8+

Has a good message about how to create happiness around you and love those around you. HELL is in the book. Mentions 'crime', drinking, a mother who abandoned a child and the death of a five year old child by drowning. My 6 year old struggled with some concepts in this book (the drinking, the abandonment, the small child dying) this is a book our school chose to read as a whole group, for one school one book. I think this was a little young for the kindergartners and first graders.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 August 31, 2012

because of winn dixie

Families can talk about first impressions. How do Opal's opinions of the new people in her life change through the course of the story? Families can also talk about pets. Why do you think it's easier for Opal to befriend a dog than other people? How does her friendship with Winn-Dixie change her other relationships? If you have a pet, do you consider your pet to be a friend?
Educator Written by1523931 May 23, 2012

You Should Read This Book!!!!

The book Because Of Winn- Dixie by Kate DiCamillo is a good book . I think if you read it you will like it because it tells you alot of details on how to respect and care for others. You may not like this story because if u don't like dogs then this is not a book for you. If you like dogs I am sure that Because Of Winn-Dixie is the right book for you to pick
Parent of a 10 year old Written bytyrizzle October 28, 2010

I LOVE IT BUT THEY WONT LET PEOPLE READ THE BOOKS
Parent of a 17 year old Written bybuble bath August 12, 2010

this book is poop

I hate it.
Adult Written byAshanti aka Queen April 19, 2010

i love it
Adult Written byTeacher3 December 10, 2009

As a teacher, I feel this book and movie have lots of important issues. In my classroom, year after year, it brings rich discussions on things like alcoholism, single aprent familes, loss and longing. My students LOVE this book and movie!
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

A must read!

Winn-Dixie is about a wonderful dog that does a lot of funny things. For example, if she smiles too big, she sneezes. I really like this story because its very exiting to read...I wanted to read and read and read.
Adult Written byvcarozzolo April 9, 2008

Sweet Story

This book is very sweet and gentle. It is about a girl who is faced with making new friends when her and her father move. She befriends a dog she names Winn-Dixie and the rest is magic. :)
Adult Written byamosnmarie April 9, 2008

Another great Dog story

Its adorable most specially on audio!!