A Black girl sits next to her mom and dad on a couch, all smiling. She is pointing at a smartphone that they are looking at together.

Concerned about social media, AI, and screen time?

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the best out of media and tech.

Parent and Kid Reviews on

Beyond the Bright Sea

Beyond the Bright Sea Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 4 kid reviews

Sort by:

why beyond the bright sea is awesome

I think this was an amazing book. It's very mysterious. At the beginning Crow barely knows anything about who she is or where she came from. You know she's going to try to find out. There are other mysteries, too, like why people are trying to keep away from her. The main characters, Crow, Osh and Ms. Maggie are great role models. For example Osh says to Crow, "No one is going to force you to do anything with what is yours. It's your gold you can do whatever you want with it." It is educational. You learn the history of leper colonies. You learn the geography of Cuttyhunk Island, Penkiese Island and the Elizabeths which are located in Buzzards Bay just south of Cape Cod.

This is a great book!!!

Crow is a great character, and her story is heart-warming. A definite must-read!

I love it

Beyond the Bright sea is beautifully written. scary at some points, it was written with detail. As Crow finds out where she is from. :) Really GREAT!