A lot or a little?
The parents' guide to what's in this book.
Positive Role Models & Representations
Violence & Scariness
What parents need to know
Parents need to know that Boom! Boom! Boom! is a comforting read. It distracts readers from the frightening storm with a ridiculous pile of animals crowded into one bed. The young boy at first is warm and generous, happy to share his cozy bed with the frightened animals, but he tries to turn his sister away. The bed ultimately breaks, just as the storm ends.
What's the story?
On a stormy night, a little boy is content in bed with his book and teddy bear. His frightened dog scurries in with a blanket, and the boy invites his pet to snuggle in bed with him. With each crash of lightning and thundering boom, more animals seek comfort in his bed: a cat, a guinea pig, a frog, a parrot, and a snake. The bed is crowded -- and uncomfortable -- by the time the boy's sister runs in. \"Enough!\" the boy cries, worried his own teddy bear will get squished out. \"You have your own room!\" She leaps in anyway, and his bed collapses. The boy is finally left alone to sleep with his book and bear.
Is it any good?
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! is a sweet-hearted bedtime book with layers of fun. It's a great choice for children coping with nighttime fears. Readers can count (and giggle at) the growing menagerie. Jamie A. Swenson's repetitive, rhyming text match the comforting tone of David Walker's charming illustrations.
The only sour note is the abrupt change of tone when the boy's sister strides in, looking for space. Her brother rather harshly tells her to go back to her own room. It's an unfortunate direction after the boy so graciously accommodated six household pets.
Talk to your kids about ...
- Families can talk about feeling scared. What helps you feel better when you're scared?
- The little boy is already feeling squished when his sister asks to climb into bed, too. He says there's no room -- and he's proven right. What could he have done to help his sister and keep his bed from getting too full?
- Author: Jamie A. Swenson
- Illustrator: David Walker
- Genre: Picture Book
- Topics: Brothers and Sisters, Cats, Dogs, and Mice
- Book type: Fiction
- Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
- Publication date: May 28, 2013
- Publisher's recommended age(s): 2 - 6
- Number of pages: 32
- Available on: Nook, Hardback, iBooks, Kindle
Themes & Topics
Browse titles with similar subject matter.
Our editors recommend
Top advice and articles
Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners.