Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Brisingr: The Inheritance Cycle, Book 3

Overlong but exciting; gorier than the first two.

Adult Written byPL Hans April 27, 2009
Parent Written byChoose Movement February 20, 2013

Brisingr book 3 in the Inheritance Cycle

A very great book probably best in the Inheritance Cycle

Adult Written byTrustworthy Reviews February 19, 2011

A little less violence would be nice...

Alright, I admidt I liked the book, I think it could have been a little bit shorter in some areas, and a little less violent. I mean Roran goes a little overboard with the violence, and there were a few little gross details that I thought could have been left out, for example the arrow that was stabbed into a foot, I thought the description of that was pretty disgusting, but hey that's just my opinion, maybe its just the thought of foot stabbing... Anyway, I wouldn't recommend this book for young children, but when kids are older, say around sixteen that is a much better age to be reading this book.

Adult Written byshehan December 26, 2008

Eragon is a little Reckless, but is my kind of guy!

If you liked the first two books, READ THIS!!! It is amazing!
Adult Written bybook_flutterby December 4, 2008

Better than ever...

*NOTE: Many people complain about Paolini copying from other books. I can see how they would come to that conclusion; I also see many similarities, especially to Star Wars. However, I still let myself enjoy the story, accepting it for what it was, a nice book to be read on a rainy day with a mug of hot chocolate. Your children will love it, thought I would warn you of some reference to a form of atheism, vegetarianism, and other such beliefs. In the books the main character becomes a vegetarian; you may have to explain this concept to your children. When I first read Eragon, I was 14 years old. I was enthralled by the book, and eagerly awaited for more. Eldest came out, and I didn't mind it, but I thought Eragon was better. Brisingr is MUCH better than both of it's predecessors! I highly recommend it, IF: you like a book being descriptive- I do, and if you like thick books. This was a pleasant rainy-day-read for me. Some parents may want to check it out first as it has some elements of spirtuality from different beliefs, as well as vegetarianism. Nothing wrong with being a vegetarian, but your child may have some questions and you will want to be ready for that. Also it can get pretty gruesome- human sacrifice, lots of battles, etc. It was a great read, and I can hardly wait for the final installment!
Adult Written byDarkAgentE April 18, 2018

Better than the 1st two!

Pick up this bad boy, if you love the 1st two books in the series. It's got more gore, more action, more magic, and more epic battles than the 1st two! It's also very long. It'll keep you busy for sure!

Parent of a 2, 10, 12, and 14 year old Written byRylieinOP December 31, 2008

Awesome but bloody

My 14 year old daughter read it first - maybe I should have screened it, because she gave me daily updates on the gory violent events, which seemed to make a big impression on her. I just finished it myself, and frankly I had to skip over some of the gorier stuff. Not my preference! However, the story line is great and I can't wait for book 4 of the series. If you read it, be prepared for detailed bloody personal combat and some protracted political maneuvering which may get boring.
Adult Written bythe fallen November 19, 2008

THE BEST BOOK IN THE SERIES

this is anouther greet read i got started by seeing the eragon movie but my freinds told me to read the book i read 1 and 2 but this book stood out i love it sasd ending though so be carefull out of 5 stars i give it a 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!