Kid reviews for Brisingr: The Inheritance Cycle, Book 3

Overlong but exciting; gorier than the first two.

Teen, 14 years old Written bylogan.malf22 March 29, 2010

OK for twelve and up, but to see the important parts of the story requires more maturity.

Not as much sexual content as the last on, mostly just violence. A very enjoyable book for young teens, but some of the harder to notice topics require more maturity to realize and understand. I would recommend it to anyone over twelve.

Teen, 15 years old Written byWitrin January 2, 2010

Don't waste your time.

In a nutshell, this book is turgid, bloated, and unrewarding. The protagonist, Eragon, is the textbook definition of psychopathic, murdering innocent coerced soldiers without any regret. He seems to delight in doing so. Roran is unbelievable and boring. He kills over two hundred people with a hammer and then stands on the pile of bodies. Nasuada seems to think that the best way to convince her enemies how strong she is would be self-harm. Huh. The plot does not warrant the page count and could have been written in under 70 pages, not 750. Don't believe me? Fact: there are only 5 plot points. The decision for a fourth book is only to get more money. Paolini is obviously worried that when Inheritance is finished, no publisher will want to touch his books. He should be worried. Brisingr doesn't even look as if it's been edited. Christopher Paolini cannot write. He does not know how to use a simile. The purpose of a simile is to compare two things, describing the former of the two, something unfamiliar to the reader, by comparing it with something the reader is familiar with. The are not for comparing two things that both need separate similes. They are not for boosting word counts. I won't go on any more, except to mention the plagiarism, for which there is documented proof, and the language Paolini claims to have invented (It's actually Old Norse, and he butchered it.) Paolini is not a Tolkien. Prof. Tolkien was a linguist. Paolini isn't. End of Story. (I wish.)

Teen, 13 years old Written byMoeluver February 17, 2011

Very good book dissapointing author

Lots of politics (i skip them when i reread) lots of gore (the book would be dull without it) Long descriptions (i skip the sword making part too) But a really good book. But perhaps we should not have put our trust in such a young author, Brisingr's copyrite date is 2008 and its now 2011,mabye im impaitient but lhe left at a kinda cliffhanger, there isn't a release date or even a title floating around. Perhaps an older author would do better, i think so in the finishing writing the area.

Teen, 17 years old Written bySpaceMarine August 19, 2011

Over-indulgent, overlong inferior sequel.

Eragon was a spirited Fantasy take on Star wars and boyhood fantasy that I rather enjoyed. Eldest added some depth to the world and a bit more originality, but at the cost of being overlong and having some less-than intelligent plot points. Brisingr combines all the flaws of the first two with none of the good points. Where to begin? Eragon is not a good role model to anyone by this point. He has become so perfect physically and mentally that he has no conscience and can do whatever he wants, including drinking unlimited amounts of liquor and making poor moral decisions like killing that poor press-ganged child soldier. He is one of the two main problems because he is just so perfect that no one can relate to him. The other problem: the length. This book is double the length it should have been, with loads of bland and generic descriptions and unnecessary subplots. I found myself bored and wondering when the final battle would be by the halfway mark, and felt cheated when I learned there wouldn't be one. There are a host of other minor problems, such as the necessary plot points being forgotten about, Eragon's poorly described and unconvincing relationship with Arya, and the excessively graphic violence. (And I'm a Saw fan and I think its excessive.) This series has fallen far and by this point should be used as an example of how NOT to write a book.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybobsanitizer November 7, 2011

Teen's POV

Im a teen and I read this book like 5 times it is a wonderful book and is appropriate for almost any age level there is some violence, but it never gets too bad

Teen, 15 years old Written byseth177 May 8, 2010

good for ages 13+

very good book blood and gore is a issue for lower ages, and i think i remember there being some nudeity in it but overall a good book
Teen, 13 years old Written byybco124 January 25, 2016

MUST READ

Its a great book, has a excellent plot and brilliantly interesting. There is a bit of violence but come on anyone younger then 10 who can read a 800 page book and understand it I would congratulate. It is really well written and the people who rate it one star probably have not even read it. Personally it is my favorite book ever. If I could rate it 10/10 I would, I think any child can read a book if they want to as they improve their English and that it can help them with reading. Every page is a eye opener and that no parent should restrict their child in reading this fab book. There is no sex except from when Eragon tries to tell his companion his feelings. violence- meh there is a bit and anyone who can read this book can take it. It wont give anyone nightmares and again i would encourage you to read it. People whom are forced to read it would hate it because they are forced but people who read it for fun( me ) love it. Drugs- all they do is drink some mead and they get drunk only once in the last book (not this one). the drunkenness doesn't last long and that it wears off in a few lines. It has positive messages and that there are no language. It only says stuff like-' Eragon swore' and stuff like that but however it never says a swear word. It is fine for all ages and I would congratulate anyone who can read this and I will be happy to enjoy this book as much as I have. Let your child read this as it is a great book and I promise that you will love it.

Teen, 14 years old Written bypatton1942 November 20, 2011

GREAT BOOK OTHER THAN THE GORE

THE GREATEST BOOK OF ALL TIME!!!!!!! it can get pretty gory at times but on the whole pretty good... except for the peaple whi cant feel pain VERY gory

Kid, 11 years old January 8, 2011

Depends What Level of Maturity You Are

Well, I read it when I was 10 years old and it was overall pretty gory. I think you can be 10 and up to read it if you are mature. I was reading it in school and I was reading when Eragon's brother, Roran, gouges out one of the soldiers eyeballs. Another section in the book mentioned Eragon pulling the sword out of someone's head, with bits of skin and brain left on it. Good plot, too gory.

Kid, 12 years old July 5, 2010

Great book

Its one of my favorite books, but I did reread have to some parts. It can be confusing.
Kid, 12 years old December 16, 2009

Great book (not a whole lot of violence)

PAH LEZZZ!!!!!! Enough with the the comments like "i was shocked by the violence and im seventeen" !!!!! come on i see more violence in the girls bathroom!!!!!!! the violence i think is ok (obviously) i read the book and i have such a big vocabulary now that people think i smart just by listening to me , sooo parents its an awsome book and dont let any one tell you other wise

Kid, 10 years old November 12, 2017
parents need to know that this book is more violent than the first two, with many battles, casualties, gruesome injuries and deaths, and, for instance, one man gets his eyes pecked out. While the length makes it a big commitment, it's worth it. Also unlike the first two, it has no language.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLord Rashnar March 18, 2013

it is a good book but not as good as inheritance

has some of the middle words but not to bad

Teen, 14 years old Written bylibby c May 8, 2012

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is a very good book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKingdestroyah May 1, 2012

great!

First of all, some of the violence (e.g. pecking out of eyes) is not shown happening, but the man is found in that condition. Yes, it is much bloodier than the first two, but it doesn't overdo anything. Much of this book is various battles, so of course it is very violent. The self-harm from the rebel leader is to keep leadership, and is not very long. So, it really doesn't have any unnecessary violence. I read this about a year ago, so I don't remember all of it, but still...
Kid, 12 years old December 23, 2011

Love he book!!!!

I loved this book, and the fourth one, but it may have a bit of violence, but any person who can play AoE can read this book.

Teen, 13 years old Written byHeq073198 November 27, 2011

Mature read

I think these book are great, personally. If you don't like them, then don't read them. I think this is more maturity level than age. There is a human sacrifice scene with blood drinking, and a major character is killed violently. A character is pregnant before marriage, and they rush the wedding to cover it up. Some drunkenness, some curse word insults that were common in the Middle Ages. Overall, pretty good.

Teen, 14 years old Written byRogue, barn owl November 9, 2011

this is cool

This is the Awsmest book of the inhertince cycle. The characters are the best.

Kid, 10 years old February 26, 2011

AWESOME!!!!!

THIS IS THE BEST BOOK EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! okay maybe it's just my reading level, but how come everybody says it's meant for 13 and up or something? i read a lot of stuff gorier than this. I cannot wait for the fourth book of the inheritance cycle to come out. heard it's in june. if you like christopher paolini try suzanne collins. I LOVE THE ERAGON BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid, 12 years old November 3, 2010

AMAZING, BUT REAAAALLLLLY GORY!

I AM OBSESSED WITH THIS BOOK AND THIS SERIES! These books are extremely violent and gory, but I think those parts are some of the most thrilling in the book. There is a character who is pregnant without being married, and sex is implied several times. But I've seen TV shows with 2x as much sex in one episode, and this is an 800 page book. It's best for older kids and no one who is squeamish (you'll be having nightmares). Although I read it at 11, no one under 13. And to however said this book is plaguerism, the guy would've been sued by now if it was! And so what if the language is a modified version of Old Norse (it's really not)! It's hard to come up with your own language! DUH! I can speak fluently in the languages in the books. Whoever says these books are bad is and I-D-I-O-T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!