Kid reviews for Chain of Gold: The Last Hours, Book 1

Chain of Gold: The Last Hours, Book 1 Poster Image

No reviews yet.

Add your rating

things to know before read chain of gold

so good .don't read before the Infernal Devices.

Pretty Good!

Personally, this book didn't hold my attention. I was constantly pulling myself away from the other book I was reading and forcing myself to finish it over winter break. It wasn't that I just don't like to read, I do, but, at the same time, I read New Moon, and I finished that in 1 morning compared to 2 weeks. It's still very well written and I love the author. It just wasn't for me! There was also quite a little bit of kissing and sex, which I personally am ok with. Some parents might not want to look at a page in your book and find 2 characters undressing, just a warning.

1 person found this helpful.

"It's time for us to do what we do best..."

It IS an amazing book that’s for sure. I think I gave me all the emotions in the span of 20 pages, but that’s not all!!! The author magically and expertly wove together events into a masterful creation involving all the characters but they still were doing three different things to start with. Really it was masterful and then they fought demons!!!! And they left because the descendant of the Prince of Hell said too. All righty let’s get into the reasons I actually agree with CommonSense on this ones age: There are rather a large number of references to sex, seduction, making out, sleeping together, being twisted into positions two people shouldn’t be able to get themselves into, and the like. There are not really DESCRIPTIONS of this though. There is actually only one time that this happens with what is described as “violent desperation” and yeah I believe the violent part. By this point we all know Cassie Clare can’t write a book- at least in the Shadowhunters world- without a “kissing” scene. At the very least. And HER definition of kissing at the very least is apparently very... energetic? Enthusiastic? But it’s okay because really it was only kissing just not QUICK, it was more slow And picking each other up and perhaps some hand movement that I only mention because it even raised my eyebrow a bit. Now for the references to such things: I’m not gonna be all “one character did this and that and HAS something” like the “EXPERTS”- ha SUREEEE they are- but I am gonna mention some specific things. Anna Lightwood is AMAZING. first you must know that. And she IS a good role model- sorta...- okay she spreads good messages. If your child is old enough to KNOW what they mean when they say “seduce” and what it implies happened afterward- because no it does not ALWAYS lead to excessive scenes that Magnus walks in on- then it is probably fine for them. There is exploration of sexuality- and can I just say the Lightwoods are AWESOME?!? Seriously so many of them will teach you things; good things!- with some characters who are hiding it because well it’s 1903. And it’s London so perhaps it makes sense. One character realizes he doesn’t want to hide in the shadows and I applaud him. One other would deceive women as far as his love for them and does- he is engaged to one who knew and was okay with it the other merely can guess he doesn’t love her. Anna and Magnus live lives where people know and accept them and Matthew wears symbols of loving who you love- woman or man. Like I said applause. There are some not nice examples but only because one man ends his engagement to someone while SHE IS UNCONSCIOUS AND POISONED. AND SHE WOKE UP!!! Which is like a “UHH NO” even in 2021 that’s RUDE. Other characters are mad at him for it because it also hurts her reputation but even though she never loved him it’s a bit cold, yes? You could merely warn your child of that and it would be fine. For language it’s not very bad there are actually only the same words a few times and toward the end they’re desperate so the cuss a little more. Little. Like add “d*** it!” to the mix. Violence I am not detailing because I feel like I can say this: they do fight it’s THEIR JOB. Not very gory and yes a character or two or maybe four are poisoned while the main characters watch but they mostly recover. One woman dies but of poison and you only get the news not the experience of watching it. Good messages of being loyal are spread all throughout and owning up to mistakes and protecting those you love and sacrificing things for them. Also good role models like the main character Cordelia who literally is a good role model all throughout. Anna, Matthew, and Alastair are also good role models too. Educational Value: it does teach A BUNCH OF STUFF!!! For instance I learned a new word! (he he he) And. I even saw words I didn’t know. Frequently. This never happens to me so I assure you it does have educational value in the realm of vocabulary as well as quotes from famous works. There is a lot of drinking by Matthew and Cordelia’s father is revealed as an alcoholic but she wants to help him and characters don’t approve of this behavior. Anna smokes some but not excessively and it’s only her and only mentioned once the other time she merely held a cigar and flicked it in the fire. All I all this is a work of genius and it’s amazing and TOTALLY fine for a 14 year old- even one who hasn’t been 14 even A month(like me).

1 person found this helpful.

I refuse to give my review a title

I'm 12 and I LOVED THIS BOOK!! There's fighting and stuff like that, so if that bothers you don't read it, but I never really understood people not letting their kids read books because of that, you're not actually SEEING anything, so...the story is amazing and romantic and interesting and mysterious and intriguing and action-ey and - you get my point. Will Herondale is absolutely a 'great role model' *lol* and so is Tessa. HA! information about myself I SHIP WESSA AND JESSA BOTH MWAHAHAHAHAHA okay I'll stop now.

LOVE IT!!

This book is my new favorite by Cassandra Clare. The characters are so strong and relatable and the plot drew me in from the first page. That being said there is quite a bit of romance in this book so if you aren't comfortable with that don't read it. It is nothing more than what was in some of Clare's previous books so if you were good with that you should be fine reading this one. There is also a lot of drinking in this book and one character who is drunk almost constantly. This is just a warning anyone who might not feel comfortable reading this. I absolutely loved this and am looking forward to the rest of the series. I always love a strong girl character and this book had many. Now I can't wait for the sequel to come out!

I loved this book!

There is more mature themes in this book, and if you or your kid is going to read other books in prequel or sequel series, know that they get more inapropriate as they go, so I wouldn't recommend reading this if you don't want to read more sexy books. It will be hard to stop there, because the books are really very good, and it is hard to put any of them down. This book is not racey and is an amazing book and I would totally recommend. There are amazing characters and a stunning plot. I would give anything to read this for the first time again.

So good

It’s a really good book. Just have to know if your kids mature enough to read about romance and also disease in death and different things that happened to the characters

LOVEEE THISSS

I absolutely love this book. It's gone on my favorites book self. I know that you don't technically have to read The Infernal Devises before reading Chain of Gold but I highly suggest it. It will be a little confusing and spoil some plot lines if you don't.