Kid reviews for Clockwork Angel: Infernal Devices, Book 1

Victorian-era fantasy series starts with plenty of violence.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDayCassi0peia July 28, 2019

Captivating read

Okay listen up y’all. If you haven’t read the Shadowhunter Chronicles, read them now! Cassandra Clare is an incredible author. She somehow weaves the stories of multiple characters into one captivating read. Most books just follow one character, but in her books, all the characters have a story.

Very diverse! The characters in her stories are super diverse. There are hispanic characters, Chinese characters, and LGBT characters! It really inspires the reader that no matter what they were born like, they can still do great things.

Great villains! In every book of the Shadowhunter Chronicles, the villains have a story and motive too. It makes you understand why some of the characters act the way they do.

These books will make you go through hundreds of emotions you didn’t even know you could feel. One chapter you’re laughing so hard because of a character’s ridiculous hatred for ducks (NEVER TRUST A DUCK) and the next, you’re bawling your eyes out.

These books may have some disturbing scenes but it’s just like the real world. Even though these stories include magic, demons, warlocks, and other supernatural characters,, it is the most realistic story I have read in the sense that the pain, love, and characters are realistic.

Teen, 17 years old Written byBook Reviewer May 18, 2014

Great!

This is a great book for teens or more mature children (although I don't recommend any kid below 10). It's a action/adventure book that keeps you in suspense. Although there is a lot of violence, it doesn't go into much detail about deaths. One of the main characters is dependent on a drug to live but it isn't focused on a lot in this book. Swearing is limited. I found book this particularly interesting as it is set in London, 1878. And I love the magical warrior like thing. If you or your kid likes that kind of thing than this is perfect. Tessa also is on a self discovery journey that everyone experiences so she is a great role model and very relatable.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMiss.abibliophobia July 5, 2020

Most captivating trilogy

This had to be ( so far ) one of my FAVOURITE works of Cassandre clare...
Its hooking from the very first chapter and I couldn't stop myself from turning the pages!
The main characters are funny, kind, loyal and overall good rolemodels! Not to mention the female protagonist Tessa!
It does include a lot of violence and gory descriptions but its nothing shadow hunter fans wont already be used to...
I reccomend that you read the Mortal Instrument before you read this trilogy, simply because its enjoyable to see the way their timelines intertwine , and how similar the characters are...
This book is hilarious, brought tears to my eyes, and at one point I was so shocked I almost threw it across the room!( not that I would ever do that off course)
I think this book is suitable for teens above 14 ONLY. Some themes including the mention of .....
SPOILER
-an addictive drug that a certain character can't live without
END OF SPOILER
-mention of brothels, prostitutes etc. ( but subtle...written in Victorian English)
- violence

Overall An amazing read and youd be wasting an amazing opportunity if you didn't read this!

Teen, 13 years old Written bybandgeek8 September 3, 2011

Nice way to start the trilogy

I read this and couldn't put it down. I really like Tessa. SPOILER! when Tessa "stabbed' herself my heart dropped. I had to know what would happen next. You can totally tell that Will is related to Jace. END OF SPOILER! I like the mystery and elegance that is in it because of it taking place in 1800s London
Teen, 13 years old Written bypeppaandgeorge October 5, 2019
Shadow hunters: Clockwork angel is part of the infernal device’s series; another amazing series Cassandra Clare has written. It is an action/adventure book which keeps you in suspense. If want to read a good fantasy book, you should better read this one. It is a historical fiction and its trilogy is intriguing. To summarise what happens, this book is about a 16-year-old girl called Tessa who goes to London to live with her brother. She doesn’t know what terrifying things are waiting for her in London’s down world and that there are such things as clockwork creatures. Also, she doesn’t know that she is a warlock and who will she fall in love with. Another folk story which includes vampires, shadow hunters, warlocks, fairies, demons and many more magnificent fictional creations. Tessa is an intelligent person who is brave and strong willed. She will do anything for family such as she accepts being tortured to save her brother. She is incredibly caring and is willing to do anything for her friends. She can be very stubborn but only sometimes. She can be curious and determined when she wants to be. I really how Tessa is in two relationships. She loves Will and has kissed him, but she also loves Jem and has kissed him too. It feels like she is cheating on both of them. She really needs to make up her mind. Cassandra Clare is an awesome writer. Her characters are super diverse such as some are from Asia while others are from other countries. No matter how they were born like, they can still do amazing things. The villains are great and have a story and motive to them. Her books will make you go through hundreds of emotions you have never felt before, you will never want to put the book down. Most importantly she never fails to disappoint.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEb30 September 8, 2018
I loved this series and the characters within it. They are wonderful role models and strong people.

Teen, 13 years old Written byKAH123 April 10, 2017

I Love It

If you have read any of Cassandra Clare's books you know her books are amazing this book is a great start to a amazing trilogy. I highly recommend this book
Teen, 13 years old Written byLaney8 September 8, 2016

I loved it

It's such a good book- you never want to put it down. There are a million subplots changing and growing underneath the surface of what the blurb tells you. I absolutely love fantasy and historical fiction, and let me tell you that the New York Times was not in any way exaggerating when they called Cassandra Clare "the new queen of fantasy."

HOWEVER, there is one instance of the word "b**ch*, some references and insinuations to innapropriate things, lots of romance, and some gory violence, so no, I don't think a seven year old should read this. But a 12 year old? Absolutely. This book quite literally changed my life, and I wholeheartedly recommend it to book lovers around the world.

Teen, 13 years old Written byPoppy.bath April 22, 2016

Nothing bad to say!

one of my favourite series' and would recommend to anyone, teens and adults alike! love!

Teen, 14 years old Written bythePrettyDead August 13, 2015

AAAAA, Will!

I love this trilogy and all other books by Cassandra Clare. It's so perfect. It's historical fiction, supernatural, paranormal romance, and perfect. The characters are really strongly build and the whole trilogy is intriguing. The last book does contain some sexual content but nothing explicit. There is some violence and blood. Totally a must read.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySavethepangolins5326 January 24, 2020

Amazing read

As soon as I started reading this, I was enthralled and couldn’t stop, this was mostly because nearly every chapter ends on a cliffhanger. It’s a fantastic read which switches between complete fantasy and elements of reality in the 1800’s, which adds educational value as well as getting lost in a brilliant story about myths and following the interesting stories experienced by the protagonists, Will, Jem and Tessa.

Kid, 11 years old January 9, 2020

Great Book!

It's a great book and Tessa is a great role-model who is a great character and the plot is great too. This book is very violent with gore and lots of deaths. Some characters kiss each other but its fine. One of the characters will die if he doesn't take a kind of drug but it isn't talked about a lot in the books.

I think this book is 11 and up because there is some swearing and a lot of murder and gore but its still a great book. I like that the characters each have fun personalities and it's one of my favorite books

Teen, 14 years old Written byHaloCutie101 November 5, 2019

Absolutely loved this book and series

I read this book when I was 12 and nothing bothered me. It is good for young teens who are looking for an interesting book based in a different time period that also has fantasy elements. There is a good amount of violence in this book as well as in the rest of the TID books. This of course follows through to all of the Shadowhunters Chronicles books. I really just think that it is a great and very engaging book.

Kid, 12 years old November 2, 2019

Cassandra Clare has done a brilliant job. Characters, settings, and the plot in general. All of it is just perfect!

Clockwork Angel... that title just pulls you in! This book was recommended to me by a lady that works in Waterstones, and as her recommendations are always brilliant, I decided to check it out.

First off, I was drawn to this book by the beautiful cover, it instantly made me think that I wanted this book. So I buy it.

Later on I'm reading, and (surprisingly) was put off by the dark and gruesome first chapters. A few weeks later, I've finished all of my books, so I decide to give Clockwork Angel another go. Picking up where I left it, I carry on.... and couldn't put it down.

The characters are perfect. A mix of personalities, a bad boy, a kind one, a funny one and brave and headstrong females.

Violence could be a bit of a problem for you if you're a sensitive reader, but the werewolves, vampires, demons and faeries are in all of the Shadowhunter books, so if you don't like that kind of thing, then this is not your book. The violence is fantasy violence, and Cassandra Clare has written this book in a way that makes you able to skip these parts.

The language is limited to mild swearing, so not much to worry about there.

Drinking is mentioned, and in one part it is suggested that a 17 year old boy has been to a bar, but this part is essential to the plot, and adds to this person's bad boy character.

The positive messages are good, with lots of girl power.

One of the reasons I love this book is because of the era it is set in. Victorian times, love it.

Please read Clockwork Angel it's an excellent book. Thank you for reading my review.

Teen, 15 years old Written byprapti_p June 11, 2019

One of the greatest books Cassie's ever written.

I fell in love with this book the first time I read it. The diversity in characters and their problems and how they tackle them is enthralling to read. Personally, my favourite character would be Will, and definitely team Wessa ;)

Teen, 14 years old Written byMs Lovelace October 21, 2018
parents do not get put off!!!! this book is great for kids and teens, the age rating i think is perfect for 12 year olds, it is very educational, great storyline, not violent at all. there is a kissing scene but it was not at all graphic, and i don't like sex or kissing in books, but this was not serious at all, it was a great read, the storyline of Tessa Gray is wonderful, very hooking. WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND

Teen, 13 years old Written bywintermoonmc13 March 3, 2018

amazing!!

i absolutely loved this book it was a little gory and didn't really have any sexual talk other than referring to something called "demon pox" but that was it! it was so good i literally finished the book in a week and now i'm on the second book and all there was is a kiss and some people died but i think it you raise your kids properly then they can definitely handle it!

Kid, 11 years old February 6, 2018

Incredible start to series!

Kid, 11 years old November 17, 2017

Amazing Book!!!!

This was my absolute favorite book! There are lots of great role models, and the plot is very interesting. Don’t worry....I won’t spoil it. Just read it! The only bad thing is there is some bad language, so I wouldn’t recommend it to younger kids. But if you love a good fantasy book, I’m sure you’ll enjoy this!

Teen, 14 years old Written byka24 July 17, 2017