Kid reviews for Clockwork Prince: Infernal Devices, Book 2

Fantasy sequel has strong female characters, more violence.

Teen, 17 years old Written byJ-Yo January 27, 2012

Fantastic

This is a wonderful book that is packed with lessons about self sacrifice, friendship, and loss. Clare has created a true love triangle, instead of a Twilight-esque love V. Her universe is very creative and well-realized, and that alone could keep the story engaging (the story iteslf is just fine, though). Parents, be warned that there is an almost-sex scene, but it's not too graphic because it does take place in the nineteenth century, after all. There are descriptions of blood, but it's manageable. And yes, I am a guy, but the romance wasn't too goey, and the action and complex plot more than made up for it. And besides, Jem and Tessa are particularly good rolemodels for boys and girls, respectively.

Teen, 15 years old Written byBookworm_96 February 6, 2012

Better then the first

I loved this book. I read the first and afterwards, i couldn't wait until the second came out. Cassandra Clare is an excellent author and i will continue reading her books and all her stories :)

Teen, 13 years old Written byseaotter77 November 6, 2012

An awesome book, but with heated relationships

I love this book as much as I love Clockwork Angel, the first in the trilogy. However, there is a bit more sex in this book; the main character has to choose between two boys, and there are scenes where she makes out with both of them at different times. But, this is not as bad as it seems. There is the same reference to opium as in the first book (see my review for Clockwork Angel), as well as the same level of violence. Overall, this book is iffy for kids 13 and up -- it depends on the kid and the family.

Teen, 13 years old Written byseaweedbrain10 May 13, 2012

For mature 12 year olds and up.

I am a 7th grader and love this series and the mortal instruments. I think that it is fine for 12 year olds as long as they are mature about sex and violence. This book teaches a lot about victorian londan and what it was like back then. I also learned a lot about the 'fantasy' side of this story. It sort of relates to christianity, but not really. The characters in this book are good role models and often do things that make them admirable. Many of the characters make sacrifices and Jem is especially a good role model. There is a lot of violence in this book but that is to be expected. It is no more violent than the hunger games. There is a lot of blood, but the descriptions never made me cringe. The main caution for this book would be the sexy stuff. Many times there is serious kissing and they start to undress. There is not as much as in the origanal series-mortal instruments- though. In mortal instruments they often undress almost all the way, and talk about going further. In this book it takes place around the 17th (I think) so it is not as much as in the books that take place in modern time. There is some bad language but nothing that a 12 year old hasnt heard before.

Teen, 14 years old Written byalways7snape December 28, 2017

ROMANTIC- GR8 FOR TEENS- ABSOLUTELY AMAZING

Clockwork Prince is absolutely amazing! It is better than the first book, but both violence and romance get much more intense. If you tend to feel awkward in any type of romantic or kissing scenes (I definitely do), fair warning, "stuff" happens. For example, one of things that make this book a little awkward and uncomfortable is the fact that a girl likes 2 boys and kisses both of them and can't decide which one to pick. But, even if the book seems to have a lot of romance, it isn't your usual lovey-dovey rom com. The writing is absolutely wonderful (I mean- obviously- it's CASSANDRA CLARE! DUH?!). Also note that there are a few refences to prostitutes, drugs and a sexually transmitted disease. I thoroughly enjoyed Clockwork Prince. I had so much fun reading it while laughing, crying and giggling with all of the amazing characters. I definitely recommend this book to teenagers looking for a fun and exciting read that completely engrosses you in its plot.

Teen, 13 years old Written byworrisomeninja99 January 25, 2012

clockwork prince

i love it

Teen, 15 years old Written bythemortaldevices December 28, 2015

One of the best books I've read!

Don't let the age restrictions bother you. I started reading the Infernal Devices trilogy at the age of 11, and I enjoyed it a lot. I found myself getting engaged with the characters and the world of clockwork prince. If you find that kissing scenes make you squirm, or if you are sensitive towards violence, I think it's best if you choose another book. It true, it is a bit more graphic than the previous book, clockwork angel, but this book doesn't disappoint! I love all the characters and there are many female and male heroines, including a strong protagonist, Tessa Grey. If you enjoyed the previous book in the series, don't hesitate to move onto clockwork princess, because Cassandra will not fail to bring you one of the best books you have read!

Teen, 14 years old Written byyoumundanefools August 16, 2014

Better than Clockwork Angel

I loved this book. It made me want Clockwork Princess right afterwards.

Teen, 15 years old Written byjustareader September 5, 2013

Amazing Series!

This book was just a great as the first one. I Strongly recommend it.

Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus March 20, 2013

Wow, Wow, Wow!!!!!!

This book was AMAZING!!!!!! I loved it! Impossible to put down! I thought it was better than book 1! I am surprised to tell you that I might actually like this series better than The Mortal Instruments. I never thought I'd say that - Ever! Clare just keeps getting better and better! My favorite thing about this book was that it expands on the characters SO much. It really takes a long time for the action to start, which usually makes for a boring story, but the characters are so deep; you want to keep learning about them as their feeling become more complex, and that really kept me invested in the book. I wasn't too crazy about the ending and how the whole love triangle thing played out, but the book as a whole is incredible! The 3rd book came out a few days ago! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy! It will be interesting to see how this ends. If Jem dies I will cry for a week - he's my favorite character! I give this book 5 stars, hands down!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written byAle Franco April 15, 2012

Amazing book. Well done, Cassandra!!

This book is one of the best by Cassandra Clare. Yes, there is a lot of violen

Teen, 14 years old Written byManar.123 December 13, 2017

Teen, 17 years old Written byBook Reviewer May 18, 2014

Excellent!

This is a amazing book! Violence is similar to the first book (not too graphic) but there is more drug use. A main character leaves and eventually gets high on drugs. We know this because other characters find him passed out. There is a make out seen where two of the main characters kiss. It is not really sexual or inappropriate mainly passionate and they are interrupted. Demon pox is mentioned although how it is acquired is not really discussed. Swearing again is limited. Mature kids 12+ can read this book without further discussion. I, personally, recommend this to teens or adults if you liked the first one. I promise you won't be disappointed.
Teen, 14 years old Written byka24 July 17, 2017

Teen, 14 years old Written byMs Lovelace October 21, 2018
i think this was a great book!!!!!!!!! it had some kissing but honestly i think kids read worse in school, i really liked the storyline, a lot of history which i think is wonderful for learning purposes and for fun value, i think a 12 year old could read this easy, all in all a great read!!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written bylalainrizwan July 5, 2018

It's very hooking.

Like the other books in the series, Clockwork Prince hooks the readers in two seconds. Once you know what's going on, you CANNOT stop reading. But Cassandra Clare's books aren't for kids under 12. They include lots f romantic and over romantic scenes that I probably skipped and found too descriptive. The book IS very decriptive and can sometimes get boring when all you're reading is a bunch of words that make no sense when put together. It's kind of annoying. But overall the storyline, removing the filler descriptions, is something a writer should take notes on. It's hooking, I probably cried, and the characters are just plain amazing. I recommend this book and the whole series a long with it!

Kid, 11 years old February 6, 2018