Parent reviews for Crank

Crank Poster Image

Keep your kids away from this book

I love reading and all my kids do, but I found that my 11 girl had borrowed Glass, the second book from a friend, and perhaps we did not notice the first one, but I grabbed it to read the inside cover! Boy was she freaked out and defensive, and for good reason!!! Narcissistic, drug taking girl who's totally screwed up, sex and all that crap, and this book makes it look so alluring and cool with its hipster prose!! Adults can argue that this is a cautionary tale, and an 18 year old or a college student might get it, but beware if your 11 year old daughter and her friends are secretly sharing this book!!

What was the point?

I literally threw this book in the trash after I finished reading it. I love books and never have done that before - this book is such garbage I couldn't risk any of my students or my daughter reading it. I just don't get the point of it. The things that bugged me are: -the way it was written; all the weird fonts and formats gave me a headache. -the fact that main character suffers no consequences for her actions - seriously? Her friends, family, teachers...no one knew she was using? No one held her accountable? She even managed to use during and unplanned pregnancy and her child was perfect? Yes, that's what we want to advertise to teenagers. You can use, get raped and pregnant, and there will be no consequences - emotional or physical! This is a sad story, and I'm sure that it happens, but I don't understand why this is marketed for a YA audience. There is no moral - no purpose other than "look what happened to me." What can a teenager gain from reading this? Basically this book teaches that it is ok to do drugs because there are no consequences - even when "bad" stuff happens to you other people will clean up your mess and you'll still end up on top. That's a dangerous message. Kids today are confused enough about drugs and sex.

Impressive

great book for mature teens

i am a young adult and i loved reading this book it was action packed and left me hanging on the edge of my seat. i would stay up till midnight reading because i loved it soo much

kids not ready for this read

I have really enjoyed reading this book but I would not recommend this for my teenage children to read. The reason behind my hesitation is because the way the "monster" makes her feel is almost enticing rather than revolting.