Parent reviews for Dead End in Norvelt

Dead End in Norvelt Poster Image

The Literate Mother reviews Dead End in Norvelt

I thoroughly enjoyed Dead End in Norvelt, especially its very quirky characters and small town setting. It reminded me of the small town where I grew up, except my town wasn’t nearly as exciting. This is really a history book in disguise and Jack Gantos (who is both the author and the main character) was able to weave some really fantastic history into the book, ranging from the destruction of the Incas by Pizarro to John F. Kennedy’s harrowing WWII experiences. But the history of Norvelt and its people ends up being just as important as the well known stories. Full of clever prose, life lessons and, of course, history, Dead End in Norvelt is a deserving Newbery Medal recipient. Recommended for 5th grade and up.

Excellent

very good book.

Excellent Book

This book is fabulous. I don't think the CSM reviewer read the entire book. Otherwise she would point out the real role model in the book. And, the Hells Angels aren't the "real bad guys" in the story. This is one of the best books of the year, and your reviewer didn't do it justice. Come on -- Get to the real meaning of the book.