Kid reviews for Dead End in Norvelt

Dead End in Norvelt Poster Image

This book is so good!!!

I love all the characters, Mr. Spizz and Miss. Volker are so entertaining! This book has a lot of dark humor, and it is SO FUNNY. This is a great book. It even incorporates a bunch of history. I mean, it is EVERYWHERE, and it actually makes it BETTER, not boring. I mean, they live in a town created by Eleanor Roosevelt in the Great Depression. Every chapter is SO GOOD and SO EXCITING, it is NEVER BORING! Every kid HAS TO READ THIS.

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

Okay. You will never find ANY book funnier and more clever than this one. Oh my goodness, every single character has so much personality. Mr. Spizz? Genius. Miss. Volker? Hilarious. NO BOOK I HAVE EVER READ IS AS EXCITING AND AS FUNNY AS THIS ONE. I love this book. Read this!!!!

A Fast-Paced, Brainy Thrill Ride Of A Novel

Dead End In Norvelt is fantastic! This book has been one of the best cases where I picked up a random book off the shelf and read it. I read this book really quickly and I just could not put it down. There is excellent educational value including lots about the deceased and historical events, and the suspense, great characters, events, and the appeal of this novel kept me turning pages to the ending that started me longing for more from Jack Gantos. A must read that any bookworm and all reluctant readers should know about. There is some violence including a young boy shooting a gun and maybe a few other cautions, but otherwise this book is fine.

Wishing A Similar Life To Jack's

'Dead End In Norvelt' is a wondrous and utterly spellbinding novel by Jack Gantos. It is a HISTORICAL-FICTION but not at all monotonous. If your life is all but grave, then just have a glance into this book, you won't stop giggling and your stomach would not end twingling. It is going to add a spicy twist into a dull schedule. It is a must read for all children. Kriti Gupta Grade 8 Mind Tree, Ambala

This is a really good book, but could've been better.

This is a really good book, as Jack Gantos writes obituaries on a typewriter, and Miss Volker tells her history of the people going dead in the town of Norvelt, Pennsylvania. There is mild violence, including a shooting with a rifle, and a mishap when a character is cooking her hands. There is also some mild language (damn, cheeze, cheeze-us, cheeze-us-crust), which one word the main character makes up to mock the swear word, Jesus Christ. Although it has a great story with great characters, this book could've been better.

ok book

i agree with parents but i think you should pause. last year, i almost had to put it down, so i think you should pause.

a really good book

I loved this book and i still love it. i am in the eigth grade and i read it and it was really good. i think everyone should read this book. it has little history info that you could learn from and its intriguing at the same time. i think that all ages can read this book!!!!!!!