Kid reviews for Dear Evan Hansen: The Novel

Dear Evan Hansen: The Novel Poster Image

Made me cry, which means it’s good.

This was an amazing book. It was so beautifully written, and we get perspective from all of the characters from the musical. It brings more insight into the story than what we see in the musical. We get to know a lot more about Connor, and we even see chapters from his point of view. However, this story should be read by mature 14 year olds, maybe 13 and up. There are a couple of innuendos, a lot of references to drugs and smoking, and a lot of cursing. That being said, it’s a beautiful book that made me cry many times in a row for completely different things in the book, because the emotion is so raw. I would also recommend listening to the audiobook, because it sounds very nice, there is calming background music, and also Mike Faist who played Connor in the OBC of Dear Evan Hansen reads for Connor’s parts.

This novel has many reasons to read- loveable characters, funny moments and a unique storyline, but at the same time has sad parts, and of course inappropriate parts. Parents should know that this novel contains a noticable amount of cussing. There is also one character who makes lots of dirty jokes relating to sex. There are descriptions of anxiety and depression, and a lot of mentions to suicide. Honestly it really comes down to parent discretion. I read this novel when I was 14 and while the sex jokes disgusted me a bit rather than amused me, I really enjoyed this read.

Amazing book but not good for young kids.

Loved the movie and musical and book is just as amazing but definitely has some themes that aren’t good for kids.

A relatable book for teens with mental health problems

I loved this book. It has a lot of emotional scenes and a morally grey protagonist. The relationships between characters are portrayed wonderfully. One of my favourite teen books for sure! I definetly reccommend it for teens and adults. I have it lent for my friend right now.

Overreacters..

I´ll break it down for everyone. Swearing- F*ck (15 times or so) Sh*t (5 times-ish) And all the others not that often. Violence- The book revolves around a suicide, no violence though. Sex- People are complaining about this, its pretty normal for a YA novel. Strict Parents- 14+ Normal Parents- 12+ Kids that don´t ask their parents so frick it- 10+

Should be Mandatory Reading at One Point

I was/am twelve when I read this book. It was beautifully written and expressed powerful messages through the pages. Definitely one of my favorites. The reason why I'm not giving it five stars is because of the sexual content. Nothing is put into strong detail, and I realize it's part of a character's personality and the whole 'high school' stereotype. Swearing: 7/10 - A lot. A curse word such as sh!t every couple pages in reasonable scenarios. Sexy Stuff: 5/10 - the occasional sex joke every now and then (ex. jacking off, sucking for meth. i personally didn't think it was that extreme, just tends to be a lot of it). Drugs: 6/10 - a character asks about a 'supplier', and one character smoked. mentions of crack, drugs, pot. Other than all that, please remember this book IS centered around a suicide, so it can be dark at times. However it expresses a powerful message of telling the truth and anxiety. Every teenager should read this at one point in their lives.

Awesome message, but i really wish it was cleaner.

Good book

Good Book, though, It does cover topic such as Depression, Anxiety, Suicidal Thoughts/Suicide, Sexual Topics and Drugs. The story resolves around a young teens suicide. The main characters 'family friend' often makes sexual jokes towards Evan Hansen. Overall a good book, rated towards 12+

Very nice for lovers of the musical

This book touches some heavy real live problems like teen suicide and social anxiety, being big fan of the musical i realy enjoyed the book but it might be too heavy for younger kids. There is some swearing but very little. Overall it is a nice book and i recomend it.