All parent member reviews for Demons of the Ocean: Vampirates, Book 1

Parent Written byBetz August 12, 2010
As a parent, I read this book for myself, not to the kids. Though I would have no problem letting my nine year old read this book, for some parents who might have concerns about content, let's just start out by saying this is a book about pirates and vampires. The topic of blood comes up, but the way the good vampires get their blood is civilized and consensual. The bad vampires are the violent ones that typify the violent type of vampire, but there is nothing too graphic in this book. Pirates do engage in drinking and one of the main characters, Conner, who is about 14, does go to a tavern with his shipmates. As the books progress along, the good vampires are peaceful, but the violence and cruelty of the vampires does increase. But like the Harry Potter books, as the series goes along, the readers also grow and become older and so more mature subjects, like death, grieving and betrayal come up. It is a well written series with beautiful prose and novel storytelling. Future books in the series encourage applying yourself and the academics of piracy - yes, there is a pirate academy. So many things such as courage, determination, academics, honor, persistence, compassion and intelligence are highlighted in this book series.
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written byresar September 25, 2009

Quirky Story with a lot of familiar tropes stuck in

This strange mash up reads part classic adventure tale like "Shipwrecked" or "Treasure Island" and part modern vampire tale-- the kind where the vampires, though scary blood suckers, are really aren't that scary and are sort of nice, after all. The plot suffers from a bit of overloading. We have special orphans, global warming, vampire secrets and pirate politics all jammed into one not overly long story. It's a dreamy read though, and my 11 year old daughter was dying to know what happened next through the entire thing. Until Vampirates, she hadn't had a book that engaged her attention so fully. For that reason alone the book will remain dear to me despite its faults. :)