All teen and kid member reviews for Divergent, Book 1

Teen, 13 years old Written bykitkat3798 June 10, 2011

Great for people 13+, something Hunger Games, Matched and Delirium fans will love!

This is an amazing read. I enjoyed every minute of reading it. It's such an original, amazing piece of writing. It's thought provoking and action packed with a little romance mixed in. There are some references to sex, but nothing ever happens. And in one scene when the main character is attacked by a bunch of teenage guys, one touches her inappropriately, but it doesn't go any farther than that. I think anyone who likes Hunger Games, Matched, Delirium or Wither will really love this book. It's a full dose of dystopian genius!
Kid, 11 years old April 29, 2014

Well.....

Okay, I absolutely fell in love with this book, and I personally believe that f you are a mature, now, let me repeat MATURE 11 year old (I wouldn't recommend any younger) then you can handle it. Now, I don't want to scare you off. The only reason I say you must be mature is because there is a lot of violence (one kid gets stabbed in the eye, another commits suicide, one doesn't make it past initiation because she falls to her death from the edge of a building, someone shoots an arrow to knock a cupcake off of someone's head, and there is many more). BUT, trust me, its not really gory, because 1. there is no pictures, and 2. it doesn't go into insanely deep detail, and by that, I mean it doesn't say that, um, i don;t know, um, that vultures came and ate there rotting flesh. Nothing like that. So, this series is overall amazing, and i believe that it can teach anyone, any age something. So, I'm going to end his review with a quote- "Fear doesn't shut me down. It wakes me up."-Tris Prior, Divergent
Kid, 10 years old August 31, 2014

Nice book :)

So, Divergent is far better when it comes to violence and the Hunger Games. There's an iffy amount of violence. The only "sex related" parts that were in the book was when 2 of the characters thought about it and during another part, but I wouldn't say it was THAT bad. There is passionate kissing and embracing. But there is one part to be careful of. Two boys had been feeling and groping a girl's chest and also squeezing her behind. There is a small amount of cussing and drinking. Over all, Divergent was an amazing book! I definitely recommend it for 11 and over, if your 11 year old can take it seriously.
Teen, 14 years old Written byFanboy1989 December 29, 2014

Divergent

I read the book when I was 11. Now everyone is saying it's a rip off of the hunger games. Um... No. Some gun violence. Kissing. A short sex scene. Only swear word is hell.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhannahreadslove March 13, 2014

just like hunger games!

the hunger games is kid on kid violence. little kids whould thank its right. tris is a vary good person. cant wait tell movie is out. you have to under stand each facton before you get the book. I LOVE IT. not vary much cussing. there is makingout but not sex
Teen, 13 years old Written byinfinite-hope February 8, 2013

Divergent is the best book ever.

Divergent is seriously the best book ever. I am absolutely in love with this book and the male protagonist, Four. I'm so excited for the 3rd book. So far, I've read Divergent thrice and the sequel twice. Sure, this book has quite a lot of violence it; however, it also has positive role models and positive messages. I think the leading character, Beatrice Prior, is extremely brave throughout the entire book, as she tries to overcome her fears. One of the main reasons why I love this book so much is because I'm actually a coward and I'm scared of so many things that people normally aren't afraid of. After I read this book, I kept repeating the phrase, "I am brave. I am Dauntless." again and again, and somehow, it helped me overcome many of my fears. Veronica Roth is a phenomenal author and I aspire to be as good as she is at writing. The love story in this book is really sweet. Sexual intercourse is mentioned in the book, but not discussed into much details. This book is a must-read!
Kid, 11 years old November 15, 2014

Top 5!!!

This book i think has a relationship with the hunger games and has similar material. Even though i read it when i was 11, i still think 13 because they mention sex and kiss... a lot. There is no language, but they do mention drinking which is fine. over all i love the book a recommend it too anyone who is into adventure, violence, and romance. They express great messages through the book as well.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJflores14 February 23, 2014

Awesome YA novel that is overall very clean

This is a fantastic book about adventure, romance, family, & friends. There is some violence toward the end and some sexual situations( near rape and one scene of kissing half dressed)
Kid, 12 years old June 13, 2014

You don't want this book to end

This book is incredible. There is a few bad words and some sexuality. But nothing to over the top. Veronica Roth is a amazing author. Read this book! There is some good thinking put into this book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBook_Lover_104 March 1, 2014

The Best Book Ever!

I loved this book so much! I read the book before it became popular so I got to see my friends reactions as they read it. I think that it has some really positive messages and good role models for you to look up to. (for me that was the factions!) I highly recommend this book, even for adults.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytrisprior_not_ February 28, 2014

best book/series ever.

*NO SPOILERS :-))* Overall: I recently finished the whole series at school. i basically ignored everyone talking to me (or trying to talk me lol) and i cried during the end of every book in the whole series.. This book is really great. Violence: Not that much violence as you would expect, other than a group of people trying to kill her in the middle of the book, OR the thing that happened at the end of back. other than that there's nothing to worry about Intimate parts: somehow kinda kinky..Tobias (Four) and Tris kiss often in the book, passionate kisses. There's a part where they sleep with each other. (just sleeping, they dont do the ba donka donk.)Tris has a fear landscape of intimacy. Tobias tries to kiss her.... thats about it. Swearing: Not that much swearing. A few damns here and there. "Sex" is used a couple of time. Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: There is almost absolutely no drinking, no drugs, or smoking. There is on part where Tobias is drunk. But you can't really tell. Tris just suspects it. Consumerism: No consumerism at all. - I hope you guys liked my review (: I am so excited for the movie on March 21st
Kid, 12 years old August 8, 2014

Amazing

Divergent is an excellent book , there is some violence but nothing to bad, most 12 and above would envoy this book especially if they liked the hunger games. I was gripped from beginning to end.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAllegiant March 23, 2015

A Great Start to a Great Trilogy

I finished the whole thing in four days! My favorite from the series is Allegiant, the third installment, but this is a close second. The author is very descriptive, and I almost felt like I was there in person. It is a big page-turner, and I just couldn't put it down. There is a lot of violence. I mean, a lot. This book is very graphic, providing realistic descriptions of assault and death, but anyone over the age of 11 should be able to handle it. There is some romance in this novel, but it is nothing more than making out. If you are a fan of the Hunger Games, Maze Runner, or Matched, I highly recommend this series.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytwistedlover123 November 5, 2014
For fans of the Hunger Games and Delirium, this book is perfect for you. This series is one of my top favorites, and is especially perfect for the Dystopian fans(including myself). The romance was quite good also, perfect to spark your interest. I assure you this will be perfect for the Dystopian fans.
Kid, 11 years old June 25, 2014

It's a great novel with a hooking storyline.

Divergent is a very good book, very hooking. I am eleven year sold and currently reading at a very high level (16 +). I recommend this book, but, it is quite "romantic" in some chapters. Tobias and Tris are great role models and share a great chemistry. It comes in a tie with The Hunger Games, which I have also read.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysaysay253 May 9, 2014

love is always your strenghth

i think it was a good book i loved the action plus the short romance it was action packed and i couldnt put it down
Teen, 13 years old Written bypecinmd December 19, 2013

Divergent

This is amazing it has great language, a great plot, amazing characters, and it keeps you interested.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydreamer98 August 19, 2012

Amazing Read!!!!

Divergent was a great read. My second favorite book so far!! Veronica Roth created a dystopian teen novel that kept me reading from start to finish. I admire how Beatrice "Tris" Prior is strong and brave and not just some weak girl. I adore Four. Headknowledges Tris's strength and respects her for it. There is some kissing and sex is brought up but nothing happens between them. Overall, this is a great read and i encourage any reader, male or female, to read this novel.
Kid, 11 years old March 23, 2012

My Opinion is......

There was some sex themes in the book, but no one actually had sex. And anothere times two boys were touching a girls chest, and telling her she seemed more like 12 than 16. There was only words like the D word and the H word, but that's all. IT IS A REALLY GOOD BOOK! It is a lot like the Hunger Games. If your 11 or older and you read the Hunger Games, (Or if you like reading in general) You'll love this book! The beginning is confusing, and some other parts are confusing, but, for the most part, Veronic Roth wrote this book very nicely. I can't wait for the second book! (Oh, yeah, the end is a cliff hanger) A few things I don't like: Al kills himself. (I really liked Al!) I'm not gonna tell you the name, but Triss kills one of her friends. It was a life or death situation. Just like the Hunger Games, there are a lot of deaths, and tradgety's.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylydia_ruth November 13, 2014

Divergent?

Divergent is a Utopian book set in the futuristic city of Chicago. Tris, the main character is a tough cookie who has never felt her place in her faction she was born into. Factions are special groups that everyone is ordered into by there choice of role in their life. Tris was born into abnigation, a faction that is dedicated to helping others. However, when Tris goes to her Faction test to see where she is meant to be, her test fails and her instructor says that she is special, she is Divergent. Divergent is a very unique faction that only consists of people who have failed the normal faction test, and should be in multiple factions, not just one. When the ceremony of picking your faction comes, Tris leaves her family and joins the most feared Dauntless faction so she can avoid the fact that she is Divergent. You see, Divergent are not liked by the people and most are killed once their cover is blown. But Tris now sets on a adventure of finding herself, what she believes, and meeting people like her, Divergent. I think this was a wonderful book that showed many good role models and showed that through finding yourself, there will be challenges, but none you can't beat. Sure there is a little violence and a few swear words, but the situations that those are in are shadowed in comparison to Tris and other characters highlights. Great book, great story, great message.