Kid reviews for Divergent, Book 1

Exciting, violent dystopian thriller is original, addictive.

Teen, 13 years old Written byviamaria February 8, 2018

Love the book! - More for teens

Great book, little bit violent, but not with much description, brief kisses and one passionate. Tris and Four (the two main characters) make it clear the don't want to start anything too seriously to quickly. Overall, i really enjoyed the book and definitely recommend it!! If you don't mind some violence and kissing it has a great story line and suckes you in with action and rommance! If you read the first book you need to read the whole series!!! Hope this was helpful!

Teen, 13 years old Written byCatherineRoche October 13, 2017

Fabulous

I disagree with the Common Sense romance rating. In my opinion, it should be rated higher. Tris is afraid of what Tobias wants with her. There is also a fair amount of violence. I read this book at 11 but I was very mature and took it well. I would recommend for most 11-year-olds you say no.

Teen, 14 years old Written byforever_fireproof October 4, 2014

Brilliant

I started reading this book in the sixth grade because my language arts teacher recommended it to me based on my love of the Hunger Games trilogy. After I had read a few pages I couldn't put it down. By the end of the first chapter I was hooked. Two years later, in the eighth grade, I still get the same feeling every time I reread it. The plot is beautifully written, and I love the extended metaphor of this book. It is basically I dystopian story about what normal adolescents go through. Struggling to fit it in, how and when to reveal yourself to the public, etc. Divergent has really made an impact on me just because of how easy it is to relate to the two main characters. Not only is this book an entertaining story, but you really can dig deeper into it and connect with the characters easily. Parents, you should know that Tris and Four, the main characters, share a rather intimate relationship, and they kiss a few times in the book. During a fear simmulation, Tris imagines Four wanting to have sex with her, he does start to kiss her, but she stops him and defends herself. In real life, there is a misunderstanding between the two where Tris thinks that Four has had sex before and wants to with her, but she soon finds out that he never has had sex and they agree to wait to go that far. So, no sex in the book, but I do think your son or daughter needs to be aware of what sex is just so they can understand what is being talked about and handle it in a mature way. There is also a fair amount of violence in the book, so if your child is sensitive to that kind of stuff I would choose carefully whether or not they should be allowed to read this. God Bless! :) :*

Kid, 11 years old April 9, 2018

Iffy....

This book was well written, and at times it is my favorite, but there are a lot of things that make it more or less like a young adult book. I thought that there was WAY to much kissing in it. There is also a lot of violence in it. There are also good things too though. Tris is a really good girl power example. I think that I should have waited until I was older to have read this.

Teen, 14 years old Written byellbell828 January 12, 2018

Great Book

This book is great! It is a long book that actually doesn't get boring. There is some romance but not too much that you feel like that is all you are reading. I would definitely reccomend this to anyone who likes dystopian or futuristic books.
Teen, 15 years old Written byclickfinnick512 December 4, 2017

Great Book

This is a great dystopian novel for readers who love the perfect mix of romance, action, and suspense.

Teen, 16 years old Written byMurray The Pizza November 8, 2017

Anyone who rates this above a 1 star has no taste

This book copies from every dystopian novel out there, as well as a little bit of Harry Potter, which was in a way a dystopian fantasy. It copies off of th eHunger Games except it’s worse. I can understand why parents of 11 year olds don’t want kids to read this, but I wouldn’t let any person I know read it because it’s such trash. Between waiting 1 or 2 years to read the Hunger Games trilogy or reading this I would wait. In the meantime just read the Giver series. It’s much better than the Hunger Games or Divergent.

Kid, 9 years old November 5, 2017

A Very Addictive Novel

When I read the Common Sense Media kid and parents reviews, I was a bit unsure about whether or not I should read Divergent, because some reviews said terrible things and others said wonderful. So one day, I picked up a copy at a local bookstore. From the first chapter, the plot, characters, and everything else was absolutely enthralling. I read the first 200 pages in one sitting without ever stopping to do anything else. I thought it was a wonderful page-turner. The only thing that wasn't the best about it was that I thought there needed to be more positive messages and a tiny bit less violence. Kids 11+ should read this book that is by far more appropriate for kids than the Hunger Games (which is actually one of my faves from the last year or two) . Divergent definitely changes the world of and is different from other dystopian books. Includes a lot of lessons and content about making big choices that will affect the rest of your life. I read Divergent in actually less than a day. I don't know what about it made me not able to put it down for even one second, but it was amazing. (For anyone who's listening: Don't watch the movie! I haven't actually seen it but I have heard it is terrible because the best books are pretty hard to pull of)
Kid, 11 years old September 22, 2017

Honestly, it really depends on maturity.

I think that parents underestimate kids' maturity. I think kids should be able to read books like this, if they think they can handle it. It wasn't over-the-top violent, but it still was. At the beginning of the book, several teenagers must cut their hand, so they can drop their blood in a bowl to choose their faction, where they will live the rest of their lives (if they survive initiation). One initiate is stabbed in the eye with a butter knife by another initiate, and several are beat up. There is one case of suicide. There have been several attempted murders, thousands of deaths that aren't seen, and only few that were. Around the end of the book, most of the Dauntless are controlled by a simulation that forces them to kill the Abnegation. Tris must kill several simulation-controlled guards to stop the simulation. In order to get past initiation, the initiates must go through their fear landscape, a simulation that has the person go through their worst fears. One of the main protagonist's fears is intimacy, and is later mentioned while talking to other initiates. "I'm afraid of.. intimacy." "Intimacy? You mean like... sex?" There is barely any cursing, only mild uses of damn and hell. But they aren't so bad, in fact I hear them at school all of the time. Though, some parents might not like their child seeing these words. But, I think that if they know not to say them, it's okay. Overall, it's a really great book, 10/10 would read again.
Teen, 13 years old Written byamypurple0317 July 24, 2017

Educational Value
Kid, 11 years old July 15, 2017

AGES 10+

So, I was 10 when I read this. IT WAS IN MY CLASSROOM LIBRARY! I am an extremely mature child. Defiantly a FANTASTIC read.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTGGObsessed July 7, 2017

I Couldn't Put The Book Down!

I loved it! It was super exciting and my heart raced for every last minute of it. I don't remember it being very inappropriate but it is kind of a big book so it is better for ages 12 and up. Adults would love it also so it is a very good family book club book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMrose23 June 25, 2017

Good, but not age appropriate for younger kids

I read this book in sixth grade, and I think that I was able to handle most of the mature themes at that age. There are some very graphic scenes in the book, including a suicide and other violent occurrences. Swearing is minimal, although there are some instances where foul language is used. I think that divergent itself isn't necessarily too mature for pre teens, although once you read the first book, you will most certainly become hooked. That being said, the other books in the series do gradually become less age-appropriate, including more violence, drinking, and sex scenes.

Teen, 14 years old Written byOliviaTheAwesome June 19, 2017

An Awesome read!

This book is about a city that is divided up into 5 parts; Erudite, Amity, Candor, Dauntless and Abnegation. Each of the five parts of the city value a certain quality of life. The book focuses on a girl name Beatrisw who joins the Dauntless part of the city. She is faced with many obsticals and must fight hard for what she wants. She falls in love on the way. The ending is a horrific war against another part of the city leaving it distroyed. I think it is a good but is a bit violent at times. It should be fine for chilren that are mature enogh to understand the consept of the book. (I would say about 11 but thats just my opinion.) The movie is also worth watching however the book is by far better. Tris is a good role model that every teen could reate to at somepoint wether it is her sence of not knowing where she belongs or having to deal with emence pressure. The book starts off slow but picks up as it continues. The book doesn't have swearing but does continue to use the terms Idiot, Stupid, Shut up and Stiff (a nickname for Abnagation members.) There is some acohol use but it is very mild so it won't be a major consern. Overall, The book is a good read for kids who are mature enogh to understand the consept. It by far my favourite book.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySmolBatNumber46 June 17, 2017

One of the greatest distopiean novels ever written!

This is one of my all time favorite novels ever! The writting style was amazing! I read this book when I was 11 and I handeld it just fine. I would recomend it to anyone who can handle some passionate kissing, guns, character deaths, and some funny and totally awesome dauntless initiates! Sex: Two characters are attracted to each other and share some passionate kisses. Someone trys to convince Tris to have sex with them (it was in a simulation and it was one of her fears, (having sex). After, the person who was in the simulation convinced her he wouldn't have done that ever and admitted he felt the same way). Violence: The Dauntless initiates are trained to use guns, knives, and fight. A character is beat up in a fight against someone alot stronger and larger than her. One character comits suicide. The Dauntless are put under a simulation where they are forced to kill inocent people. Tris kills her friend in order to save herself. A characters parents are killed. One Tris stabs someone inorder to get information. Possitive Role models: Tris and (*Spoiler*) Four show a great example of a relationship. They protect each other and respect each others needs and wants. They also demonstrate a non power based relationship (meaning they don't fight for control of the relationship. Relationships aren't about power, they are about having a conection with someone you love.) This is something that a mature 11 year old or 12 year old could handle. This is an amazingly crafted YA distopean novel that demonstrates a lot of good messages. This is one read now or in the future! Thanks for reading!

Teen, 13 years old Written byHappyLeah May 25, 2017

Not Bad

It is an amazing, well written book. Not much bad stuff, only a scene or two. I LOVE the book! And I would also recommend it to some adults.

Teen, 13 years old Written byHappyLeah May 25, 2017

Not Bad

Teen, 14 years old Written byNotGoodBook May 17, 2017

Why even write this

This book is one of the worst I've ever read.

Kid, 11 years old May 14, 2017

My favorite book!

This my favorite book and I have read it many times. It is has violence. Hope you enjoy it. I also think Tris is a good role model because when she isn't sure about something, she doesn't just sit by and let it happen, she says something about it.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybbyblue.amaya_knows May 9, 2017

JUST GO READ IT ALREADY!

If you are here because you're not sure if you want to read it, JUST GO READ IT! This series is one of my top three favorite series of all times. Four and Tris are the BEST thing, and you will love them. This book has a little bit of swearing, and violence. The violence is NOT gory, except maybe one part if you are sensitive. The sexual content is limited to kissing and passionate touching, no sex. The book had me from the start, and I know it's big, but it's SOO worth it. I loved every single character, especially Tris, Four, and Uriah. (If you already watched the movie, yes it is WAY better.) Then ending was amazing, and I went right on to Insurgent.

Educational Value