Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Doll Bones

Tween tale is both creepy and sweetly poignant.

Based on 1 review

Adult Written bykristinm2 March 3, 2015

Scarier than expected, very compelling for older kids

My eight year old, an advanced reader, searched for this book at the library many times. Once she finally found it, we started reading it together. It wasn't scary in the first few chapters but did deal with touchy subjects like broken families and adolescence (though adolescence isn't directly mentioned). It progresses into creepiness late in part one and maintains the creep factor until the end. Strong atmosphere kept my daughter on edge for the whole story so I broke it up over two days. Once she hit about the halfway mark, she didn't want to stop reading and she finished the story over the course of a few hours. I felt the exact same way, this book will suck you into the story. Make sure you have an open evening to spare! The way the doll is made was the most disturbing aspect of the story. The doll, The Queen, was allegedly made by a grieving father out of his own dead daughter's ground bones and hair. There are no sexual situations or dialogue, no swearing and no violence in the story. I would recommend this book for most ten year olds.