Kid reviews for Down the Rabbit Hole

Teen puts herself in danger to solve crime.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMixoo May 10, 2019

Wish I picked up a different book

I understand I’m about 10 years late on this, but I feel like I must add a review. A very, very long one.
I chose this book thinking I would like it and be able to relate to the character. The book just disappointed me and made me a bit irritated because even though her actions advanced the plot, they were just really stupid and distracted me from what was really going on. The plot is just a girl getting involved in something she shouldn’t have been a part of anyway and almost getting herself killed because she’s the “only one that can solve this mystery”... Put plainly, a moron tries to save the day. The things she did were just completely idiotic and I don’t understand how she’s supposed to come out looking like the hero. She literally went onto a crime scene and took her shoes back because she wanted them; how much more bratty can you get? The style of writing was good and the book is definitely focuses on a younger audience (not exactly younger than 12 due to the plot and activities mentioned but not for adults either), and I think that the way Abraham’s wrote this captured the thoughts of a teenage girl very well despite the fact that the majority of her actions and decisions were impulsive, carried out without thought, and immature. The way the murder was carried out was very interesting though. The author also gives some history on the town and the people in it so that everyone didn’t just seem like plot fillers. There wasn’t really any character development and Ingrid just seemed like the cliche hero that almost gets killed for defending a good cause. I’m not sure if there’s supposed to be a moral or a theme, but it seems like it would be that sometimes you have to do bad things for good reasons. Not exactly Dexter level, unless you consider trespassing on crime scenes, sneaking out of your house at night, lying to authoritative figures, and breaking several laws just as bad. There was some mention of smoking and drinking, as well as some violence (there’s guns too if you’re against that stuff), so it’s definitely not a book to teach good morals. However, most kids know (and should know) about this sort of stuff at around 12, so it’s not that big of a problem if that’s your audience. If you’re trying to find a murder story with a good lesson, look elsewhere (or, really, stop looking altogether).
The story was interesting, but Ingrid’s actions and character just overshadows it in my opinion and takes away from the book.
Kid, 12 years old June 7, 2015

Suspenseful book, but you have to know your child.

This is a pretty good book which I would say is appropriate for 11 and up. This book does have some violence such as a punch, Ingrid lies to some important figures and there is a kiss and a reference to Sherlock Holmes using cocaine.The point of the book is that what she is doing is wrong, so if you think your child is mature enough to know that this is wrong, then this is an enthralling book to which there are sequels.

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written bywhitehorse13 September 1, 2011

Great Mystery, Bad Role-models!

This book was on my summer reading list and I can say I really enjoyed it. Although, in the beginning I found that the character of Cracked Up Kate wasn't a healthy role-model. At the very beginning of the book, Ingrid gets lost and goes into a total strangers house. Not a good idea! Ingrid does alot of things that most parents would find unacceptable. She lies, sneaks out, drives, interacts with strangers, etc. Near the end there is also a scene of where the bad guy is chasing Ingrid and trying to kill her which can be scary for some kids.

Kid, 12 years old November 30, 2010

A real page-turner

A great detective book. Intriguing, yet refined. The ending is very satisfactory. Mature topics call for mature readers. Mature 11 year olds, and 12 year olds.

Teen, 13 years old Written byIngrid Drew September 3, 2009

Perfect for teens who want a good mystery, not for younger kids

Ingrid may lie but for good reasons. Ingrid also shows that teens can do things and be independent, this book is really good and suspensful. As a teen this book was awesome but some parents might not approve.
Kid, 12 years old August 18, 2009

for 11 and up because iy has a little language

i love this book because it has a mystery that made me want to read more and more

An Excellent Mystery, But Some Mature Humor

It was a good start to a mystery series, but there is mature content in the book. There is a joke to homosexuality, and drug addiction references throughout. Not for kids under 12! If you are finished with Chasing Vermeer, choose this book!

Addictive series

I love this book and the sequels!! It is very interesting, and Ingrid is very likable despite the fact that she does lie some of the time. Besides, she solves a MURDER! That's a good thing. Anyway I would definitely recommend this book and the sequel