All parent member reviews for Dragon Rider

Adult Written byMamaJamie April 9, 2008

Fantastic adventure for all ages!

I read this book before my son read it, since my son is 7 and I was familiar with the author's other books(they're more for a little older set with some of their themes). I was so entertained by the writing, character development and intricacy of the story that I began reading it to my son. The story is delightful to read with your child and discuss. Here are some of the points we talked about: the characters have ideas about the world that get challenged (initially the main magical creatures don't trust humans), what it means to be a friend (one character betrays our heroes because of his own confusion about what it means to be a friend, but then atones for it later), what it means to be truthful about something you've done that's wrong (same character admits his betrayal to his friends despite his own fear about coming clean), how appearances can be deceiving (something looks dangerous, but isn't)....ok, the list goes on like this. I think they are timely topics and brought forward in not particularly scary ways. I mean, we are talking about fantastic creatures as a metaphor for how humans interact with other humans or with the animal world now. The characters were also easy to relate to for my son. I can also HIGHLY recommend the audiobook of the book performed by actor Brendan Fraser. His narration & voices were amazing! It was so engrossing that my son sat for 4 hours one rainy afternoon and couldn't tear himself away!! (we don't watch tv or do computer games, but this was compelling material for his busy body!) In short, I cannot say enough good things about this book and would recommend it for any kid about 5 or 6 (depending on personality & attention spa since it is quite lengthy) and up. Happy reading!
Parent of a 8, 8, and 12 year old Written bykellyrw June 13, 2011

excellent story

We listened to the audio book, it was excellent. A few scenes are a bit scary, but overall the book is wonderfully written and a fabulous story. Good prevails. I'm wishing for a sequel!
Educator and Parent Written byMark2001 November 14, 2011

Mark

Bad
Adult Written byhorse_gerbil April 9, 2008

wow!

This was a great book! I will definately read again!
Adult Written bydragnleadr April 9, 2008

i was stuck in the book!!!!!

i loved that book it was amazing! you shouls read it!!!!
Educator and Parent Written bynuhnadiakailmama December 23, 2011

Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke

It is full of mythical and fantasy beings. It lets the imagination of your children (and your own) wonder. We also track down the dragon's adventure in the globe and notice the different landscape mentioned in the book.
Parent of a 3, 12, and 13 year old Written byansika September 7, 2010

9 +

Great adventure fantasy book, well written by Cornelia Funke, spell binding and wonderful characters. Imagery is vivid and its is certainly written for pure entertainment. Warm, funny, magical and exciting. A great story by a fantastic story teller.
Adult Written byFreedomFromCens... July 9, 2009

I

I loved this book. A must have for Dragon-lovers like myself. *cuddles up with a dragon* =D
Adult Written byTending Bloom April 9, 2008

A fun dagon adventure.

This is a long book but it keeps moving. There is a lot that happens to this dragon and his riders. I recommend it to anyone who would like to be a dragonride themselves. It shows that everyone needs friends.
Adult Written byKiefe April 9, 2008

Best of Cornelia Funke

Amazing. Wow. Super. This book is one of the best children book by Cornelia Funke. This book is appropriate for 8-13 years olds.
Adult Written bylisa.bartoli@co... April 9, 2008

A great read for dragon lovers!

This is obviously Cornelia Funke's first novel. It was not as satisfying as her other two (The Thief Lord and Inkheart). The characters are not as well-rounded and the plot is somewhat flat. That being said, my just 9 year old loved it as an extended bedtime read aloud.
Adult Written byraymondo April 9, 2008